• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

On this day 78 years ago, the atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, ending the war

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Generally speaking though, if one is speaking to the a particular message, they'd reference that, and not someone else's.

I'm not going to chain an entire conversation just because you're stupid and trollish.

I don't know how you think you come off to me. I find this endearing. Not sure if you'd understand why.

You can think whatever you want, your diseased mind, I wouldn't touch. All I know is that you're going on the ignore list.

Get over it. It's possible for two people to be honest and disagree with each other. Learn that quickl

I couldn't care less that you disagree, you're worthless. And in fact I should have simply ignored you, you managed to derail an entire thread with your stupidity.

And you can keep quoting my message, it only shows you're incapable of understanding it, and it's made of what, 5 words? Your illiteracy is serious.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Really sad that it had to come to that, but the Japanese were not going to stop fighting for anything less. And as much as I wish we could write, "that was the end of any and all support for fascism" in the history books, that's obviously not the way things have played out.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
had to point out the atomic bomb was a race it was either us or the Nazi's who would use it first if we didn't DC would've been a nuclear parking lot and we'd all be speeking german by now not to mention all natural born jewish and maybe other non whites would be dead
You missing the dates here. Hitler died in may 1945, the exact day is controversial, but it was either during or slightly before the Soviet Union defeated the nazi Germany in Berlin.

When USA dropped the bombs was august 1945, so there was no nazi Germany anymore, there was no atomic bomb racing against Germans anymore. The Soviet Union was half a decade behind, so there was no race against anyone.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm not going to chain an entire conversation just because you're stupid and trollish.

You don't need to. You can just respond freely without quoting anyone, or you can quote a specific, relevent post. If you are using PC for example, you can highlight the text you want to quote, and then a pop-up sub-menu will allow you to add it to the quote "clipboard". After that you can add all the quotes, reorganize the quotes, delete quotes, or whatever through "insert quotes" in the reply area.

I'm sorry that you were misunderstood and that I and @lokomelo thought you were responding to something he said.

You can think whatever you want, your diseased mind, I wouldn't touch. All I know is that you're going on the ignore list.

I consider it a victory. It allows me to make fun of you without you knowing about it.

I couldn't care less that you disagree, you're worthless. And in fact I should have simply ignored you, you managed to derail an entire thread with your stupidity.

No. We did that, partner. In my case, it's ignorance, because I don't know your intention. In your case, it is stupidity, because you know your intention and do not know what to do with it.

And you can keep quoting my message, it only shows you're incapable of understanding it, and it's made of what, 5 words? Your illiteracy is serious.

That's right. After all this discussion, I still don't know your intention. Well played.

Really sad that it had to come to that, but the Japanese were not going to stop fighting for anything less. And as much as I wish we could write, "that was the end of any and all support for fascism" in the history books, that's obviously not the way things have played out.

I agree with what you saying, but I question "it had to come to that". In the end, we can only work with now, though. History is a fickle subject, especially when it gets further away from us.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: Coto

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I agree with what you saying, but I question "it had to come to that". In the end, we can only work with now, though. History is a fickle subject, especially when it gets further away from us.
The fascist propaganda had a strong hold during that era, to the extent that a whole lot of Japanese civilians committed suicide in fear of what the US troops would do to them if their towns became occupied. A land invasion would've resulted in far more deaths on both sides.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The fascist propaganda had a strong hold during that era, to the extent that a whole lot of Japanese civilians committed suicide in fear of what the US troops would do to them if their towns became occupied.

Honestly, I think propaganda was coming from all directions and it was really hard for anyone to discern facts from narrative. It seems like the media was mostly responsible in escalating the war, further exasperating everyone who was a victim of it.

A land invasion would've resulted in far more deaths on both sides.

I cannot interrupt history or choose my own terms on how to interpret it. You are only using "what if" to justify something but you can as easily use "what if" to not.

It's like people who say... If only I invested in bitcoin, I'd be rich--yeah right. Nobody laments a good choice.

Last edited by tabzer,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I think propaganda was coming from all directions and it was really hard for anyone to discern facts from narrative. It seems like the media was mostly responsible in escalating the war, further exasperating everyone who was a victim of it.
For sure, even with our century's many forms of communication, social media posts have still gotten people killed and/or started whole wars. There will always be select groups susceptible to misinformation and propaganda, but just about everyone was in the 30s and 40s.

I cannot interrupt history or choose my own terms on how to interpret it. You are only using "what if" to justify something but you can as easily use "what if" to not.
I'm not just positing an opinion here, all the history books I've read and documentaries I've watched have more or less stated the same. Every inch on the road to Tokyo would have to be earned with bloodshed, and there would be no guarantee that the Japanese would surrender even after reaching the capital. The war could've continued raging on for years more.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One thing it certainly achieved was to make it so the US could never claim the moral high ground on the international stage ever again. Suddenly, I'm hearing the world police song in my head.. Americaaa, fuck yeah! Oops guess I was wrong.

Reactions: tabzer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People don’t often consider the alternative. Japanese cities at the time were still built out of wood more than anything else. Knowing this, the U.S. Chemical Warfare Service developed napalm, in association with Harvard University. Once it was ready for deployment, the U.S. Airforce began a campaign of bombings in 1945, burning their way across Japan and leaving 333K dead and 473K wounded - significantly more than the atomic bombs did. Fire doesn’t care if you’re a combatant or a civilian, and napalm fire doesn’t care if you want to put it out or not, especially when the entire city you live in is one giant tinderbox. It’s not a good way to go. In comparison, the nuclear bombs caused such destruction and inspired so much fear and awe that the war was effectively over there and then. Having the choice between burning (painfully) in hellfire or getting vaporised instantaneously, dying in a flash sounds like an attractive proposition. If you get napalm dropped on you, you’re either going out in agony or getting permanently disfigured. The atomic bombs were actually the more “humane” option out of the two.

Reactions: Xzi and tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've read and documentaries I've watched have more or less stated the same.

I believe there is a general consensus that unites a people/peoples, but I don't believe people can really choose the future they avoided; only the one that they chose. Nobody can prove what didn't happen. People chase narratives because of such "understandings", yet it doesn't note that knowledge is always increasing. It lends to a cyclic self-fulfilling disposition.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I believe there is a general consensus that unites a people/peoples, but I don't believe people can really choose the future they avoided; only the one that they chose. Nobody can prove what didn't happen. People chase narratives because of such "understandings", yet it doesn't note that knowledge is always increasing. It lends to a cyclic self-fulfilling disposition.
I think you can extrapolate a likely possible scenario based on the available evidence, Xzi is not wrong in saying that a prolonged war effort would’ve been more destructive. The Japanese were not known for giving up - it’s tradition for them to prefer death over defeat, in the literal sense. Conceding would be a sign of weakness of the Emperor, and laying down arms is generally considered dishonourable in their culture. You can even draw a parallel if you really want to imagine the scenario, there is a war where the U.S. opted for just napalming villages and boots on the ground - Vietnam. Admittedly a bigger landmass, Japan is quite cramped, but the overall attitude towards warfare is not dissimilar.

Reactions: Xzi

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I think you can extrapolate a likely possible scenario based on the available evidence, Xzi is not wrong in saying that a prolonged war effort would’ve been more destructive. The Japanese were not known for giving up - it’s tradition for them to prefer death over defeat, in the literal sense. Conceding would be a sign of weakness to the Emperor, and laying down arms is generally considered dishonourable in their culture. You can even draw a parallel if you really want to imagine the scenario - there is a war where the U.S. opted for just napalming villages and boots on the ground - Vietnam. Admittedly a bigger landmass, Japan is quite cramped, but the overall attitude towards warfare is not dissimilar.

"Xzi is not wrong..."

I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm saying he can't be "wrong or right" or he is "wrong and right", or maybe he's "right enough, for now". I agree with the sentiment, but it's hard to measure the "butterfly effect" of different actions; but it's right enough for the context of what we know and have experienced up to this point.

"The future will view all history as a crime" - Serj Tankian

Between you and me, we will know what we could have been done, if not now, then in the future.

Last edited by tabzer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?