Gaming Old Wii's can't read DL Brawl, how can i make it work?

Elisa_

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Old Wii's can't read DL Brawl, how can i make it work?. I have a PAL wii that I bought 1 month after Wii was released. Any way I can play the DVD-9 ver of Brawl?

mousan

Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
it's totally false...i bought my wii like u about 1 month after release & smash works on my wii flawlessly
happy.gif

perimbean

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi!

By any chance have you tried to load the SSBB (PAL) retail disc into the machine and try running it?

My guess is the lens not being able to detect/read DL discs.

Cheers!
perimbean

iffy525

not famous
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
If it's not modded send it in to Nintendo and they will repair it at no cost.
Although that's kind of weird that it doesn't read because I got mine on launch day and brawl works perfectly.

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lisa_ said:
Old Wii's can't read DL Brawl, how can i make it work?. I have a PAL wii that I bought 1 month after Wii was released. Any way I can play the DVD-9 ver of Brawl?

i have a launch wii that wouldn't read the brawl backup

thought it might be a media issue until the retail came and even that didn't work (wii would not recognize brawl but played everything else perfect)

i removed the wiikey and sent the wii to nintendo, it came back with a brand new d2c drive, brawl works awesome now

only thing is i can't play most of my games until my d2c modchip gets here

but like another poster said, test it with the retail copy of ssbb, it's the only way to be sure.

if you do have to send it in, just remove your modchip first, nintendo won't give you any hassles

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
stok3d said:
Lisa_ said:

thought it might be a media issue until the retail came and even that didn't work (wii would not recognize brawl but played everything else perfect)

i removed the wiikey and sent the wii to nintendo, it came back with a brand new d2c drive, brawl works awesome now

but like another poster said, test it with the retail copy of ssbb, it's the only way to be sure.

if you do have to send it in, just remove your modchip first, nintendo won't give you any hassles
I thought you said it died...

My launch Wii reads Brawl (when burnt on 'good' Verbatim media) fine.

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
coolbho3000 said:
stok3d said:
Lisa_ said:

I thought you said it died...

My launch Wii reads Brawl (when burnt on 'good' Verbatim media) fine.

yeah, it 'died' right before i sent it in, it wouldn't hold dvd's and started making grinding noises (partly my fault)

it had started making a loud humming noise when spinning a few months after i bought it but still worked

brawl (retaildvd9 or backupdvd9, dvd5 worked) would never read, even after manually cleaning it with a q-tip and alcohol, backups and originals worked fine.

the dl issue, for some wii's may be rare, but some older, CLEAN wii's will not read DL properly.

Elisa_

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So you have the same problem eh? I'd better go take this to court and sue Target for a cheap Wii +] jks.
So I'm gonna try get a screwdriver or something off Ozmodchips or a place around me. Try clean the laser and try again.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I really ended up not caring because the game sucked. Plus I have another wii that will read dvd9s and I found SSE to be boring and repetitive as all get out. So my advice: play the dvd5 version, it sucks just as much as the dvd9, well probably less since it doesn't have the horrid platforming gimmick mode.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking, theoretically, shouldn't you be able to make brawl fit on a single layer disc by recompressing the movies and audio? This is what they did with dreamcast games in order to make them fit on a cd.

Smash bros, scrubbed, is about 7.5gb
The movies are 3.36gb
The audio is 1.09gb
DVD-R holds about 4.3gb

Let's say you can recompress the video files to all fit into about 500mb. This puts you around 4.7gb. Now, audio can be recompressed to 1/2 its existing size... and it should all fit. Or maybe, just maybe, the video files could somehow be crammed into approximately 50-100mb, and audio wouldn't have to be touched.

Would this be possible?

Sperion

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lisa_ said:
That's a DVD-5 version, which I have also.
its a dvd5 alright but he wants to downgrade the movies and sounds to have a complete copy, but it isnt posible yet:( (as far as i know)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)