Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
So my little bro has this old Lenovo Thinkpad...something or other. It had an old 80GB HDD in it, but about a month or so ago it seemed to have ruined the HDD. How, I have no clue, but it wouldn't spin up at all. So we put a brand new WD 320GB HDD in it and the same thing is happening now, however at times it does seem to be able to spin up and work for a few hours. Is the laptop itself causing harm to the HDDs? If so, what could be causing it?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Maybe the HDD controller is sending way to much power to the HDD?
Altough I strongly believe that cause that would also burn out other components on the traces.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Not one I can spare.

However, I have the newer HDD in an external HDD enclosure and it's having trouble being read now. I'm running a chkdsk on it now and it's been stuck at about 1% for the past hour or so.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not one I can spare.

However, I have the newer HDD in an external HDD enclosure and it's having trouble being read now. I'm running a chkdsk on it now and it's been stuck at about 1% for the past hour or so.
They might've been badly corrupted if the system cut off the data line while writing.

Format 'em and see if they do work. Also run a surface test with HDDScan or something after formatted. Also do a SMART test. If everything's clean, then the HDD itself is fine.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
They might've been badly corrupted if the system cut off the data line while writing.

Format 'em and see if they do work. Also run a surface test with HDDScan or something after formatted. Also do a SMART test. If everything's clean, then the HDD itself is fine.
Will do and report back when finished.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Not that this really applies here... But,
HDDs are one of the two parts most common to break in a laptop. People don't tend to realise that a HDD has moving parts, so picking up the laptop, knocking it around, shaking it, etc, can all lead to damage on the drive and will sooner or later make the drive fail. The other factor is vibration and heat from inside, but neither is controllable.

I have seen a brand new laptop (HDD from it at least) die in 4 days after purchase because the owner has "shaky leg syndrome". Using the laptop on his lap when going to a gaming party, getting excited, shaking his legs, shaking the laptop... He got lucky in claiming it was DoA and got a replacement, but after that he made sure to use a laptop desk at the parties.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Well, after various attempts to format the drive with any and every program I have, it seems it's the HDD itself. Everything has trouble reading it.

@Originality
This is, of course, a possibility as well as I know he doesn't generally take good care of PCs. This would be his 4th laptop in the last 3 years, so it's entirely possible he ruined both HDDs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1