Folder "saves" on vWii disc causes HDD initialization issues with USB Loader GX?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
While I was trying out some GameCube games the other day for the first time ever, everything was working just fine. Today, my HDD (i.e. SSD) wouldn't initialize in USB Loader GX for some reason and after figuring out that "saves" folder which Nintendont uses for storing GameCube saves might be the culprit and removing it, it started working again.

Any particular reason this might be happening?

I've set up my Wii U so that two HDDs connect to it and only changes I've made to the USB Loader GX are related to Game and Loader IOS (both set to 249). I've connected the vWii HDD to the top back USB port, Wii U HDD to the bottom one.

UPDATE #1: Seems that there's more to it that just removing "saves" files since i can't start it anymore.

UPDATE #2: Seems like it might be "saves" that are causing the issues. As soon as I run any GameCube game and create a save file, my disc won't load again unless I remove the "saves" folder. I thought that SSD's cable might be faulty but it's not, so I'm not sure what it could be anymore. Looking at USB Loader GX settings, I guess you can't change save files location for GameCube games?

UPDATE #3: Turns out that it's probably SSD issue, as h2testw run into the following error:
Code:
Error reading file 'E:\146.h2w', offset 0x31300000.
(The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Code 1117)
Writing speed: 84.0 MByte/s
Reading speed: 272 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

At least it's brand new and still under warranty and thank God it's nothing related to the console itself (I thought my USB port got messed up at some point). Will check the other one I purchased recently and see if it has the same issue.

Last edited by Blythe93,

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
A quick update on my issue: it turned out that my SSD wasn't getting enough power, so by using Y cable I finally got it to work properly. So far so good, will update in case anything changes. Also, the cable I originally used for the SSD (SATA to USB one, single cable unlike Y one) might be faulty after because HD Tune Pro reported that my brand new SSD had bad sectors, while the enclosure + Y cable didn't report any. I'll attach images to the post so that you guys can see.

Again, this doesn't really mean that my cable was faulty, it's just that my SSD couldn't get enough power through it (SSDs need 2-5W of power, while USB 2.0 port can provide 2.5W). My old Kingston SSDNow disc (64GB one) worked perfectly with that cable, though. Same for the Samsung EVO 850. The new ones, ADATA SU650 3D 960GB ones did not, sadly.
Post automatically merged:

Try having the saves point to the SD card instead of the SSD. This might help.
Hmm, I'll look into this for other reasons, I believe it would be nice to have saves on SD card in case my SSD fail at some point. In that case, at least my save files will be saved.

Attachments

• image_2023-04-25_10-53-59.png
    image_2023-04-25_10-53-59.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 22
  • image_2023-04-25_18-03-56.png
    image_2023-04-25_18-03-56.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 21

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That boy yo