Hacking OK to perform 3DS XL system update?

katiesam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone,

So I got a 3DS XL at Christmas and I've just ordered a DSTWO supercard but it won't be here for around a month.

I've not yet done anything with the 3DS but I want to know if it's ok to perform a system update?

Will it affect the supercard when it finally arrives?

Thanks in advance :)

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
DSTWO latest update supports latest 3DS firmware. But if you want to play 3DS roms and you 3DS firmware is <4.5 DO NOT update.

It does support but he gotta update the card first if its not updated. (I SAID UPDATE CARD NOT SYSTEM)

Wait for the card to come, THEN UPDATE CARD and then update the system.
But if the system is on 4.1-4.5 firmware then don't update at all cause the Gateway can run 3DS roms and homebrew in the future.

katiesam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies :)

Although it sounds great, I don't think I'll be getting a Gateway card anytime soon cos they're so expensive so I won't be able to use 3DS roms anyway (unless the supercard DSTWO supports 3DS roms but I think I'm correct in thinking that it only supports normal DS roms)

Basically, I want to update the system fairly soon so that I can take advantage of a Nintendo promotion to get a free game download. But the promotion will expire before my supercard arrives.

So as I don't have a gateway card and won't be getting one in the near future, is it ok to update the system?

I do have a DS Lite available - am I right in thinking I can use this to update the supercard when it arrives? (I probably should have mentioned that in my original post)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Katie, which promotion do you mean? If you have the Super Mario 3D Land promotion in mind, you can take advantage of it without even using the 3DS - just register the system's and one of the select game's #PIN numbers on the Club Nintendo website and you will recieve a download code for the game via e-mail. If you mean a different promotion, please specify.

katiesam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Katie, which promotion do you mean? If you have the Super Mario 3D Land promotion in mind, you can take advantage of it without even using the 3DS - just register the system's and one of the select game's #PIN numbers on the Club Nintendo website and you will recieve a download code for the game via e-mail. If you mean a different promotion, please specify.

Hi Foxi,

It's a different promotion. It's to get Super Mario Bros Deluxe. You have to perform the latest Nintendo 3DS system update and register a new Nintendo Network ID.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi Foxi,

It's a different promotion. It's to get Super Mario Bros Deluxe. You have to perform the latest Nintendo 3DS system update and register a new Nintendo Network ID.

Oh? When did this start, I didn't get that game and I registered my NNID in December! Grrr...

badchilli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies :)

So as I don't have a gateway card and won't be getting one in the near future, is it ok to update the system?

I do have a DS Lite available - am I right in thinking I can use this to update the supercard when it arrives? (I probably should have mentioned that in my original post)

Yeah, if you have a DS Lite, you can use the DS Lite to update your DSTWO to the latest firmware so you can use it on your already updated 3DS. The latest firmware supports up to Ver 7.1.0-14, which is the current Nintendo 3DS update.

Here are instructions with pics:
http://www.dsflashcart.com/blog/how...to-work-on-3ds-v7-0-0-13-with-firmware-v1-25/

Or take a look at the "tips and tricks" section in the DSTWO FAQ
http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-supercard-dstwo-beginners-guide-how-to-setup-the-dstwo.290190/

Reactions: katiesam

katiesam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, if you have a DS Lite, you can use the DS Lite to update your DSTWO to the latest firmware so you can use it on your already updated 3DS. The latest firmware supports up to Ver 7.1.0-14, which is the current Nintendo 3DS update.

Here are instructions with pics:
http://www.dsflashcart.com/blog/how...to-work-on-3ds-v7-0-0-13-with-firmware-v1-25/

Or take a look at the "tips and tricks" section in the DSTWO FAQ
http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-supercard-dstwo-beginners-guide-how-to-setup-the-dstwo.290190/

That's great, thanks badchilli - very useful having the instructions with pics so thanks especially for that! Makes it far easier to see what I need to be doing! :)

badchilli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's great, thanks badchilli - very useful having the instructions with pics so thanks especially for that! Makes it far easier to see what I need to be doing! :)

NP :)

One other note, be sure to properly format your SD card using the Panasonic SD formatter.

It's in the DSTWO beginner FAQ that I linked above.

It's step #2 in the guide. It has the download link to the formatter tool and tells you how to format the card ("Go into the options and make sure format type is FULL (Erase) and size adjustment is ON.")

If you ever plan to use the GBA emulation on the DSTWO card, the GBA plugin can be finicky if the SD card wasn't formatted correctly.

Reactions: katiesam

katiesam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
NP :)

One other note, be sure to properly format your SD card using the Panasonic SD formatter.

It's in the DSTWO beginner FAQ that I linked above.

It's step #2 in the guide. It has the download link to the formatter tool and tells you how to format the card ("Go into the options and make sure format type is FULL (Erase) and size adjustment is ON.")

If you ever plan to use the GBA emulation on the DSTWO card, the GBA plugin can be finicky if the SD card wasn't formatted correctly.

Oops got sidetracked looking for a case for my new 3ds and forgot to check for replies! Typical that when I find one I really like, it's not available anywhere! grr! But I digress...

Thanks again badchilli - I think I've got the Panasonic formatter downloaded already but it's always good to be reminded! :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password