OK to perform 3DS XL system update?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by katiesam, Jan 8, 2014.

1. katiesam
    OP

katiesam Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2008
    Hi everyone,

So I got a 3DS XL at Christmas and I've just ordered a DSTWO supercard but it won't be here for around a month.

I've not yet done anything with the 3DS but I want to know if it's ok to perform a system update?

Will it affect the supercard when it finally arrives?

Thanks in advance :)

2. AlexeySinitsyn

AlexeySinitsyn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2011
    DSTWO latest update supports latest 3DS firmware. But if you want to play 3DS roms and you 3DS firmware is <4.5 DO NOT update.

3. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina

It does support but he gotta update the card first if its not updated. (I SAID UPDATE CARD NOT SYSTEM)

Wait for the card to come, THEN UPDATE CARD and then update the system.
    But if the system is on 4.1-4.5 firmware then don't update at all cause the Gateway can run 3DS roms and homebrew in the future.

4. katiesam
    OP

katiesam Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2008
    Thanks for the replies :)

Although it sounds great, I don't think I'll be getting a Gateway card anytime soon cos they're so expensive so I won't be able to use 3DS roms anyway (unless the supercard DSTWO supports 3DS roms but I think I'm correct in thinking that it only supports normal DS roms)

Basically, I want to update the system fairly soon so that I can take advantage of a Nintendo promotion to get a free game download. But the promotion will expire before my supercard arrives.

So as I don't have a gateway card and won't be getting one in the near future, is it ok to update the system?

I do have a DS Lite available - am I right in thinking I can use this to update the supercard when it arrives? (I probably should have mentioned that in my original post)

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Katie, which promotion do you mean? If you have the Super Mario 3D Land promotion in mind, you can take advantage of it without even using the 3DS - just register the system's and one of the select game's #PIN numbers on the Club Nintendo website and you will recieve a download code for the game via e-mail. If you mean a different promotion, please specify.

6. katiesam
    OP

katiesam Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2008
    Hi Foxi,

It's a different promotion. It's to get Super Mario Bros Deluxe. You have to perform the latest Nintendo 3DS system update and register a new Nintendo Network ID.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh? When did this start, I didn't get that game and I registered my NNID in December! Grrr...

8. badchilli

badchilli Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, if you have a DS Lite, you can use the DS Lite to update your DSTWO to the latest firmware so you can use it on your already updated 3DS. The latest firmware supports up to Ver 7.1.0-14, which is the current Nintendo 3DS update.

Here are instructions with pics:
    http://www.dsflashcart.com/blog/how...to-work-on-3ds-v7-0-0-13-with-firmware-v1-25/

Or take a look at the "tips and tricks" section in the DSTWO FAQ
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-supercard-dstwo-beginners-guide-how-to-setup-the-dstwo.290190/

katiesam likes this.
  9. katiesam
    OP

katiesam Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2008
  10. katiesam
    OP

katiesam Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2008

That's great, thanks badchilli - very useful having the instructions with pics so thanks especially for that! Makes it far easier to see what I need to be doing! :)

11. badchilli

badchilli Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2009
    United States

NP :)

One other note, be sure to properly format your SD card using the Panasonic SD formatter.

It's in the DSTWO beginner FAQ that I linked above.

It's step #2 in the guide. It has the download link to the formatter tool and tells you how to format the card ("Go into the options and make sure format type is FULL (Erase) and size adjustment is ON.")

If you ever plan to use the GBA emulation on the DSTWO card, the GBA plugin can be finicky if the SD card wasn't formatted correctly.

katiesam likes this.
  12. katiesam
    OP

katiesam Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2008

Oops got sidetracked looking for a case for my new 3ds and forgot to check for replies! Typical that when I find one I really like, it's not available anywhere! grr! But I digress...

Thanks again badchilli - I think I've got the Panasonic formatter downloaded already but it's always good to be reminded! :)