Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And this is a loss?

The Oculus Rift is one of the most innovative gaming peripherals created in the past several years. The device's Kickstarter was funded over 900 percent, meaning significant community support and confirming that a market exists for such a device. As well, it won this year's Golden Joystick award for innovation and was praised by various gaming and technology sites.

Looking at the device itself, it delivers the most immersive experience of any consumer-level gaming device. It displays gameplay in stereoscopic 3D with a very high field-of-view of over 110 degrees and has a low-latency 1000 Hz motion tracker. As this field of view approaches the maximum field of view of each human eye, the result is total visual immersion. The consumer version will also have a 1080p display. There are potential gaming possibilities on this device which could not be replicated on a monitor or TV.

Basically, consoles are taking a pretty big lose by not supporting this device. There's probably people that originally funded the Rift on Kickstarter who converted to PC gaming when they found out that the Rift is a PC exclusive.

Reactions: yuyuyup

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know for Sony, they're gonna try to make their own HMD the standard as it had been in the past before the Oculus flipped the market on it's head. When they were introduced to the Oculus, they wanted to hire Palmer to do R&D for them, but he preferred to make a go of it himself.

Microsoft is another company I'd expect to want to do it themselves if they had any interest. The origin story for the Wii actually goes back to this idea where the technology for the Wii's controller was first pitched to Microsoft but the reception was really negative and they said that if they wanted motion controls, they'd do it themselves and do it better. Maybe they've learned from that incident, but maybe not.

Nintendo probably would be the most likely to embrace the Oculus as they've shown the willingness to work with garage-inventors like Palmer when they jumped on the opportunity that Microsoft reacted negatively to. Nintendo has also been shown to be interested in the technology in the past when they tried back in the day with the Virtual Boy, but the technology just wasn't there (much like the Power Glove). But Nintendo keeps looking for the appropriate time to make use of these technologies even if it's decades later. For instance, they were looking to incorporate 3D into the gamecube, but it just wasn't feasible at the time, but finally found the right time and place for it with the 3DS. I also happen to know that Nintendo was in talks with an American company that deals in Augmented Reality as recently as last year, and although nothing came of those talks, it shows they could be interested in this kind of technology and they're willing to work with outsiders.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The thing isn't even out, yet we have people crying about it? :glare: I mean once it is out and people really like it, then yeah some people might be disappointed to see it is not on console. Before that though, that's called jumping to conclusion.

Sony and Microsoft will most likely come up with their own VR implementation than relying on Oculus Rift. Steam and Nintendo are somewhat more embrace to third-party accessories.

In any cases, lots of people are still buying console. With or without Ocululs Rift. The idea that console are taking a big loss is nothing but a myth.

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The thing isn't even out, yet we have people crying about it? :glare: I mean once it is out and people really like it, then yeah some people might be disappointed to see it is not on console. Before that though, that's called jumping to conclusion.

Sony and Microsoft will most likely come up with their own VR implementation than relying on Oculus Rift. Steam and Nintendo are somewhat more embrace to third-party accessories.

In any cases, lots of people are still buying console. With or without Ocululs Rift. The idea that console are taking a big loss is nothing but a myth.

Well, the dev kits are out, and the reaction has been very positive.

Also, when has Nintendo embraced 3rd party accessories, especially accessories which drastically changes the gaming experience?

Paraphrasing "Nintendo might embrace the Rift"

The Wii U is really not powerful enough to drive the Rift. The reason Palmer doesn't want to support the PS4 Xbone is because the hardware isn't good enough (so he says). I doubt the Wii U will fare any better in that category.

On the other hand, Palmer says in the interview that their company is "good friends" with Valve, so Steam integration is very possible.

Highly doubt that.

Say this generation there's 80 million consoles sold for each of the consoles. No loss.

You know the market projection for this generation predicts less consoles sold this generation than last generation, right? The reason the total number of consoles sold is so high last gen is because of the Wii and how it drew in a lot of causal gamers. The Wii U... well... no one's buying it right now. And that's even before you consider the effect of the Rift. Even if the Rift has little effect on the market, replicating the success of the 7th gen consoles will be difficult.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know the market projection for this generation predicts less consoles sold this generation than last generation, right? The reason the total number of consoles sold is so high last gen is because of the Wii and how it drew in a lot of causal gamers. The Wii U... well... no one's buying it right now. And that's even before you consider the effect of the Rift. Even if the Rift has little effect on the market, replicating the success of the 7th gen consoles will be difficult.

And yet analysts predicted that Nintendo would fail with the 3DS and that it's the end of the company, that the Vita would outsell the "outdated, weak hardware of the 3DS", and that the Wii wouldn't be able to sell compared to the PS3/360 because it isn't HD or have the big games.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually glad that the Oculus Rift won't support consoles. Consoles have enough peripherals the way it is. Give the PC a KICK-ASS exclusive peripheral!
I wait the day when the company starts GIVING THEM AWAY! I heard a rumor that eventually they plain on giving the Oculus away to users, don't know how legit that is. I DO know that John Carmack, who was suposta be working "full time" for Bethesda according to Bethesda, is actually working on the Oculus. LUL, silly Bethesta.

Knowing that Carmack is one of the lead devs of the Oculus, that gives me hopes for mods for it. Just about every game Carmack made had some sort of mod software.

Reactions: Kirito-kun

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And yet analysts predicted that Nintendo would fail with the 3DS and that it's the end of the company, that the Vita would outsell the "outdated, weak hardware of the 3DS", and that the Wii wouldn't be able to sell compared to the PS3/360 because it isn't HD or have the big games.

Yes, but all those console which succeeded succeeded for a reason. Wii because of casuals. 3DS because of cheap price compared to the Vita (Vita even have additional cost of memory cards) and better game library compared to the Vita. Can you think of a single reason why the Wii U will manage to surpass that sales of the PS4 or Xbox One? Cause I can't.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the dev kits are out, and the reaction has been very positive.

Also, when has Nintendo embraced 3rd party accessories, especially accessories which drastically changes the gaming experience?
The Wiimote. The Wiimotion plus. The motion controller technology was pitched to them by a garage-inventor who had already been turned down by Microsoft and Sony.

The Wii U is really not powerful enough to drive the Rift. The reason Palmer doesn't want to support the PS4 Xbone is because the hardware isn't good enough (so he says). I doubt the Wii U will fare any better in that category.

On the other hand, Palmer says in the interview that their company is "good friends" with Valve, so Steam integration is very possible.
First, I was not trying to say that they would embrace the rift, but rather they are the only one of the big three that seems like they would consider it given their respective histories. Integration into this generation just wasn't going to happen; these consoles were already long in development by the time Palmer showed the Oculus Rift to the world. Whenever a new technology is going to become an integral part of the console, it the console really needs to be designed with it in mind. Look at how the Wii succeeded by focusing on motion controls during development, and how much forcing in motion controls failed for Sony and Microsoft when they tried to implement it when they didn't have them in mind for those consoles from the start.

As for his friendship with Valve, I do know that Valve is very interested in the Oculus. Gabe Newell also tried to hire Palmer for R&D because he absolutely loved the Rift. Unlike Sony, Valve wasn't already in the hardware/HMD market, so he has no qualms with utilizing the Rift once Palmer decided to go about this on his own. Gabe's also very interested in wearable computing, and the Rift is the perfect display mechanism for a computer that you wear.

I'm actually glad that the Oculus Rift won't support consoles. Consoles have enough peripherals the way it is. Give the PC a KICK-ASS exclusive peripheral!
I wait the day when the company starts GIVING THEM AWAY! I heard a rumor that eventually they plain on giving the Oculus away to users, don't know how legit that is. I DO know that John Carmack, who was suposta be working "full time" for Bethesda according to Bethesda, is actually working on the Oculus. LUL, silly Bethesta.

Knowing that Carmack is one of the lead devs of the Oculus, that gives me hopes for mods for it. Just about every game Carmack made had some sort of mod software.

According to John Carmack:
'Oculus over Id over Armadillo. Busy busy busy!'

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First, I was not trying to say that they would embrace the rift, but rather they are the only one of the big three that seems like they would consider it given their respective histories. Integration into this generation just wasn't going to happen; these consoles were already long in development by the time Palmer showed the Oculus Rift to the world. Whenever a new technology is going to become an integral part of the console, it the console really needs to be designed with it in mind. Look at how the Wii succeeded by focusing on motion controls during development, and how much forcing in motion controls failed for Sony and Microsoft when they tried to implement it when they didn't have them in mind for those consoles from the start.

But that's the exact problem. The upcoming generation of consoles aren't going to support the Rift. If the Rift takes off, that could have an affect on console sales, with people choosing PC gaming instead so they'd be able to experience the Rift.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I
But that's the exact problem. The upcoming generation of consoles aren't going to support the Rift. If the Rift takes off, that could have an affect on console sales, with people choosing PC gaming instead so they'd be able to experience the Rift.

I don't think that will be an issue. A lot of people still haven't even heard of the Oculus Rift at this point (I'm majoring in Computer Engineering and a lot of my peers who should be on top of this kind of thing hadn't heard of it), and with the Wii U and PS4 out and the XBone to be released next week, they'll be out there before the Rift would start to have a big effect on people's decisions. Also, the Oculus Rift is doubtful to cost less than, say, $300, so it's primary market will be the people who drop a thousand dollars or so into a PC rather than people who spend $300-500 on the console itself.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After what I seen what the oculus rift could do I see one reason why it won't be on consoles. Sony, MS, and Nintendo wouldn't want anything to do with a device that could be potentially used as a sex toy/waifu screwer, they have a reputation to uphold.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Mobile phones are powerful enough to support Rift, so I'm gonna call bullshit on his statement.

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So people pretty much have to buy new hardware every year to keep up with hardware.

Not unless you already own a PC, which PC gamers by definition already do.

Mobile phones are powerful enough to support Rift, so I'm gonna call bullshit on his statement.

The Tegra 5 SoC (400 GFLOPS), set to release early 2014, is confirmed to be more powerful than the Wii U. The Tegra 6 (800 GFLOPS), set to release late 2014 is set to approach the power of the Xbox One. A couple more years down the road, mobile will surpass consoles.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not unless you already own a PC, which PC gamers by definition already do.

The Tegra 5 SoC (400 GFLOPS), set to release early 2014, is confirmed to be more powerful than the Wii U. The Tegra 6 (800 GFLOPS), set to release late 2014 is set to approach the power of the Xbox One. A couple more years down the road, mobile will surpass consoles.
Except this is not about future phones, it's about contemporary ones - your comment is completely irrelevant.

Reactions: NEP

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Except this is not about future phones, it's about contemporary ones - your comment is completely irrelevant.

Tegra 4 - 100 GFLOPS (mid 2013)

Tegra 5 - 400 GFLOPS (early 2014)

Tegra 6 - 800 GFLOPS (late 2014)

Tegra 7 - (projected) 1600 GFLOPS (early 2015)

PS4: 1840 GFLOPS

Tegra 8 - (projected) 3200 GFLOPS (late 2015)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Tegra 4 - 100 GFLOPS (mid 2013)

Tegra 5 - 400 GFLOPS (early 2014)

Tegra 6 - 800 GFLOPS (late 2014)

Tegra 7 - (projected) 1600 GFLOPS (early 2015)

PS4: 1840 GFLOPS

Tegra 8 - (projected) 3200 GFLOPS (late 2015)

Please read up about so-called "dark silicon" which will explain to you why these projections are bullshit. Continue posting off-topic and face reports. :)

Reactions: NEP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since