Oculus Rift Confirmed To Be Not Supporting Consoles

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Kirito-kun, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Kirito-kun
    OP

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...r-too-limited-for-what-we-re-planning-1198420

Palmer Luckey has all but denied the possibility of Oculus Rift supporting 8th gen consoles. This is what he had to say in a recent interview.

"Consoles are too limited for what we want to do. We're trying to make the best virtual reality device in the world and we want to continue to innovate and upgrade every year - continue making progress internally - and whenever we make big jumps we want to push that to the public."

Although there are rumours of Sony developing their own VR HMD, the Rift as of now is likely to be skipping the PS4 and Xbox One.

On a different note, Palmer has also stated in the same interview that the devices will be released in "months, not years". This points to a 2014 release for the device.

yuyuyup likes this.

2. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Just want to note that just because Sony is developing an HMD, doesn't mean it will support the PS4. They've actually been in the HMD market for quite some time with their HMZ series that never made their way to their consoles.

Ericthegreat and yuyuyup like this.
  3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    So now there's a literal Rift between PC and consoles.

Cool beans.

4. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Is that a different way of saying "consoles don't want to support Oculus Rift ;O; " because it needs software support for full functionality.

I'm not surprised about PS4, Sony is working on their own VR headset (or so they say), so it's normal that they don't want someone else butting in on their console, but whoever is responsible for foregoing the opportunity to combine Rift with the Kinect should be flogged :angry:

5. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Not a good idea. You won't be able to see your surroundings with Rift on.

6. Veho

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Why?

7. Duo8

Jul 16, 2013
    Therefore, you might hit something. Maybe you'll trip over your table. Maybe you'll punch in the wall or something.

On a side note, consoles don't really need VR goggles.

8. Veho

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    You added that last part after I posted. :glare:

Sure, with Oculus you won't be able to see your surroundings. But with Kinect you don't give a shit about your surroundings anyway (leading to so many amusing Youtube videos). After you slap the chandelier a few times you learn to stop flailing madly. Just because a few idiots would punch a wall (or family member) doesn't mean the idea itself is bad. Was the Wiimote a bad idea because people threw them at their TVs or slapped someone while playing?

Oculus Rift is a way to see virtual reality, and the new Kinect is a great way to interact with that virtual reality, and no amount of idiots walking into walls will change that.

9. Duo8

Jul 16, 2013
    Well. Better clean my room and move everything out I guess.

10. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    *Insert PC master race comment bashing dirty console peasants*

Except with a screen strapped to your face with no way to see your surroundings it could be very easy to lose where you are during a game. It's not just a matter of flailing around like an idiot or not.
    There could be some very simple uses, but unless you want to pet virtual kittens and bake virtual cakes I don't see it being a great idea for proper use.

11. Veho

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    That is always prudent, regardless of gaming peripherals.

Etheboss likes this.
  12. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    So, erm...what WILL the rift be supporting, then? "PC only" is kind of broad...is this just windows machines, or macs as well. And what about these steam machines?

13. Etheboss

Etheboss Official LULWUT supporter

Feb 24, 2009
    Netherlands
    Around somewhere
    They are working on an android version too as far as i know..

EDIT: only works with PC based hardware and a windows OS, so i would say NO to Apple pc's,laptops,tablets too, and prolly not on steambox because it runs on linux if i am correct.

14. paulie

paulie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2007
    United States
    I think it is more a question of what devices will be supporting the rift.
    Yesterday I had my first hands on experience with a oculus rift, and I was under the impression that it simply got some video input from the PC (windows 7 in my case), meaning that virtually every device that can deliver the correct video input is capable of supporting the rift.
    Although the graphics were really shitty in the demo I got (it was used for a psychological experiment) I was really impressed by how well it responded on my head movements.

15. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    The video input is part of it, but the rift also has built in motion-sensing with gyroscopes, accelerometers, and a magnetometer. If you want your head movements to matter, then the device you are connecting to needs to interact with those.

16. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I'm still waiting for the Sega VR.

17. Kirito-kun
    OP

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    You can't really compare VR devices back in the 90s to what's currently being developed.

VR died out in the 90s because the technology wasn't there to deliver a satisfactory experience. We now have high-resolution LCDs, accurate motion tracking, and better optics. The reception of the Rift dev kits have also been very positive. If Oculus VR and all the other startups trying to push into VR don't do anything stupid, VR's here to stay this time around.

yuyuyup likes this.
  18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    PC accessory confirmed to not support consoles... wow, good job Columbus - this must be a discovery of the decade! :yay:

19. Kirito-kun
    OP

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    Originally, Oculus VR said although not a priority, they are interested in the possibility of bring the Oculus to consoles. Now, not so much.

yuyuyup likes this.
  20. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    And this is a loss?

TyBlood13 likes this.