NXMP Nintendo Switch Media Player

nxmp-banner.jpg

NXMP is an open-source Nintendo Switch media player based on MPV and FFMPEG, supporting a wide range of media file formats and codecs.
NXMP is coded by @proconsule54 and @darkxex

It support HTTP,FTP,SFTP,Samba,NFS streaming and it also support Enigma2 decoders. Starting from 0.7.0 Version it features HW Decoding for H264,HEVC,VP9,VP8,MPEG2 up to 4K HDR@30fps

NXMP it's on early versions and active dev state so expect any kind of bugs, anyways it's fully functional and tested before every release

Project repository|Stable Build
Stable: v0.9.0

Features:
  • HW Decoding (since v0.7.0) for (H264,HEVC,VP9,VP8,MPEG2)
  • Extense support of media file formats and codecs, including audio too as well​
  • Touch and controller support, control the MP as you want​
  • Video deinterlace support
  • Advanced image settings, configure the brightness and color options, change aspect ratio and rotate the screen​
  • Custom subtitles, you can configure options like color, text size and position to your preferences​
  • Full sound EQ, allow adjust the sound equalizer to your preferences, you can define presets too​
  • Chapters navigator with titles support​
  • Selector of Video/Audio/Subtitle tracks during play​
  • Playlist queue, allow to enque desired files on a playlist for non-stop play​
  • Resume play, you can continue your videos where you previusly stop it​
  • Watch status, watched videos are marked as green on file explorer​
  • Shadermania, you can apply any shader compatible with MPV to NXMP​

Media sources supported:
  • Nintendo Switch SD Card
  • USB drive attached to dock or Switch with USB C adapter (FAT, NTFS and EXT4, up to 32 drives)
  • HTTP/S files through network
  • FTP and SFTP files
  • Samba (SMB) files shared throught network
  • NFS
  • Enigma2 (allow to view TV channel from satellite decoders compatible with this protocol)

Screenshoots:

2021110300034400.jpg2021110300031500.jpg2021110300032100.jpg2021110300023000.jpg

Post here any kind of bug/suggestions.
Enjoy!

Thanks to libusbhsfs https://github.com/DarkMatterCore/libusbhsfs for USB drives support
Thanks to @averne for HW Decoding FFMpeg! and for many many hints
Thanks to @bodyXY for the banner and the icons!
Thanks to @Godorowski for player UI design and releated icons
Thanks to @Chocola for beta testing a player guide

Last edited by proconsule54,

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
time for a indev changelog.
So far this what changed:

• HW Decoding (will be up to 4k 10bit for HEVC) supported codec [H264,HEVC,VP9,MPEG2]
  • SW Decoding for AV1 (yes supported but since is SW Decoding is not usable for video > 720p)
  • Removed WIN32 version (as is not used by anyone and future changes in gfx backend to deko3d will break this version)
  • Updated FFMPEG to 6.0.0 (this is the version used for HW Decoding)
  • Updated MPV to 0.36.0 (Needed for use new FFMPEG without issue)
  • Code Cleanup (removed warning on compilation)
  • Added Share Add Menu (you can now set a new network share within NXMP

Also for dev keep in mind that in the past weeks the HW Decoding feature had an huge impact on dev scene, many packages in dkp-pacman had been updated.

The FFMpeg now on portlibs is the one with HW Decoding compiled, but since i need also network stuff the one used by NXMP have changes for libsmb2, libnfs and so on i used a custom one. All the changes will be commited in nxmp-portlibs repo as soon as i cleaned up all codes.

A new beta will be out soon reflecting thoose changes.

Enjoy and post feedback on Open Beta.

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
HDR don't freeze anymore NXMP.
But since my current video backend is still opengl the 4k HDR playback will drop frames, the HW Decoder using the right backend will do the job!

Thanks @averne for this fix!
Post automatically merged:

Open Beta 2

https://mega.nz/file/f1U0HTqa#UTHxL34Cip8kERJazoYnn1xDyMMAFWSoH-YtMbLAY2o

This version have the fix/features i wrote .
Enjoy and give feedback so i can do a stable release asap when all is rock solid.

Beetlejuice90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello @proconsule54, I just wanted to report an ongoing error in the playback of (.ts) video files. Since a few Firmware versions it always shows a wrong video progress (e.g. 00:03 - 00:01) and the fast forward function is not working. I also like to know if there will ever be a function to play (.jpg) picture files. Thank you for your hard work, the NXMP is the best Media Player on the Switch imo.

Last edited by Beetlejuice90,
Reactions: proconsule54

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello @proconsule54, I just wanted to report an ongoing error in the playback of (.ts) video files. Since a few Firmware versions it always shows a wrong video progress (e.g. 00:03 - 00:01) and the fast forward function is not working. I also like to know if there will ever be a function to play (.jpg) picture files. Thank you for your hard work, the NXMP is the best Media Player on the Switch imo.
Thanks for reporting it,i will check it with some ts i have.
jpg isn't a problem at all since is supported by mpv it will be in the next beta

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Great News. The playback of 1080p (.mp4) files works great in the new beta. It doesn't crash the Switch anymore.
Thanks, but for this we all have to thank @averne for the hard work he made on ffmpeg and mpv also.
I am a bit jealous of his coding skill....

Dev Changelog:

Have to check on real HW (i tried only on emu right now just to check if it starts)

When all il done i will post next beta (that will fix also some sub issues)

Update:
No more frame drop on 4k (non HDR)

Stay tuned!

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks, I thought so. Maybe it will in the future :)

I like NXMP interface and capabilities, but, alas, all my folders and files are in non-ASCII characters.
It will be in the next beta

Before Font Routine Change
nxmp-beforeuni.jpg

nxmp-uni.jpg

After Changes.

Now it support Cyrilic and Japanese (Hiragana and Katakana, Kanji support is limited) I dont't know very well Japanese (just a bit)

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How about SBS playback for watching phone-type 3d/vr movies with the LABO VR kit? Is that doable? Or was that done already and I missed it?
never thought about this, have to check if is possible

edit:
Added gif support also (maybe someone found this useful)

Time to test all for a beta release (hope a final one before stable)

Good Beta 3 just try

https://mega.nz/file/TpNwiDQJ#wl5pp6vXO5RGNd-pezRt2sGp_YhBLwMlNQErH7SpUJ4

• Using libass 0.17.1 instead of libass from portlibs
  • UTF8 Fonts for Cyrilic and Japanese (for now but others can be used also)
  • Changed the way i check battery and power (Taken from https://github.com/masagrator/Status-Monitor-Overlay/) to have stats OSD (to enable on right menu just enable it)
  • Sould be faster
  • I don't know just many many small changes.....

Enjoy!

Beetlejuice90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The 3rd Beta works good. Very smooth. I totally forgot about (.png) picture files, if you could also add (.png) picture file support the NXMP would support all the most prevalent picture filetypes on the internet. (.jpg), (.gif), (.webm).

Request: (.ts) file fix,
(.png) file support

Keep up the good work

proconsule54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

FFTW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SQLite part is the same so it should not break rhe db
Thanks!

On another topic, I have noticed that a few video formats (most notably VOB) play but don't actually show the video's length. They show themselves as if they are always "loading", and don't save where you were in them when you close them (I am playing them off USB), so it would be pretty nice if you could fix that to make them play like normal and save where you were to resume later on :)

Oh, and the discs i took these videos from weren't copy protected, so the issue definitely isn't related to copy protection,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you only push changes to the repo after you're comfortable with a new release? Each commit or batch of commits used for these betas would normally be merged in other repos, but it seems the last one was in January, and it looks like a tiny tweak to the readme.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...