Homebrew WIP nxdumptool - Nintendo Switch Dump Tool

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd like a screenshot of the error if possible, please.
Sure no problem let me redump it in a few minutes and I'll get back to you.

Edit; well two birds one stone....
Dumped it with 1.0.6
Did a full dump (non-trimmed) as mentioned I should try that.
And now it works no issues.

Compared to before the only difference is the trimming.
So something must be doing to much on that front it seems.

Last edited by PatrickD85,
Reactions: DarkMatterCore

romracer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Switch running a fresh 4.1.0 on SX OS 1.3 still hangs at Please wait... on this 1.0.6 update. It's never been on the internet since being wiped and downgraded. I did use this tool on the same cart (Mario Tennis Aces) on 5.1.0 / SX OS 1.3 after going on the internet once, with the previous version of your tool (1.0.5) so I know it works.

I guess this means the ncm service isn't the cause of Please wait...?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Sure no problem let me redump it in a few minutes and I'll get back to you.

Edit; well two birds one stone....
Dumped it with 1.0.6
Did a full dump (non-trimmed) as mentioned I should try that.
And now it works no issues.

Compared to before the only difference is the trimming.
So something must be doing to much on that front it seems.

I'd really like to know the exact error, though. It's the first report of this kind, so I want to pinpoint the exact location in the codebase for the application and try to fix it before a proper 1.0.6 release. Nonetheless, thanks for testing!

My Switch running a fresh 4.1.0 on SX OS 1.3 still hangs at Please wait... on this 1.0.6 update. It's never been on the internet since being wiped and downgraded. I did use this tool on the same cart (Mario Tennis Aces) on 5.1.0 / SX OS 1.3 after going on the internet once, with the previous version of your tool (1.0.5) so I know it works.

I guess this means the ncm service isn't the cause of Please wait...?

Thanks for testing! That could very well be the case. I just made a slight change to the code and I'd like to see if it works or not. Just download the attached build. I'll remove the previous one.

romracer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd really like to know the exact error, though. It's the first report of this kind, so I want to pinpoint the exact location in the codebase for the application and try to fix it before a proper 1.0.6 release. Nonetheless, thanks for testing!

I suspect the error the other poster is referring to is from Horizon, not from your application. It may also be an interaction with SX OS (I don't know what the other poster is using). The error is a popup on the home screen that says "The current game card can not be read. Try removing the game card and re-inserting it." It looks like something with TX's loader because I can trigger the error by inserting a game card just after booting without even launching your app. When I quit your app, I can get it to happen pretty routinely, but again I don't know if this is just some interaction with the way the game card slot is being used.

Edit: I think this is the error they are referring to: htt ps: //img ur. com/a /G7W0hLW
Sorry, I can't post links.

Thanks for testing! That could very well be the case. I just made a slight change to the code and I'd like to see if it works or not. Just download the attached build. I'll remove the previous one.

This version seems to work! Currently re-dumping my Mario Tennis Aces just to be sure. Edit: the speed is 0.00 MiB/s with 15H30M07S ETA. But the progress bar is moving, the percentage and bytes done are updating.

Last edited by romracer,

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
I suspect the error the other poster is referring to is from Horizon, not from your application. It may also be an interaction with SX OS (I don't know what the other poster is using). The error is a popup on the home screen that says "The current game card can not be read. Try removing the game card and re-inserting it." It looks like something with TX's loader because I can trigger the error by inserting a game card just after booting without even launching your app. When I quit your app, I can get it to happen pretty routinely, but again I don't know if this is just some interaction with the way the game card slot is being used.

Edit: I think this is the error they are referring to: htt ps: //img ur. com/a /G7W0hLW
Sorry, I can't post links.

This version seems to work! Currently re-dumping my Mario Tennis Aces just to be sure. Edit: the speed is 0.00 MiB/s with 15H30M07S ETA. But the progress bar is moving, the percentage and bytes done are updating.

Finally found what triggers the hang up, in that case: it's the use of standard C time functions. It should be fine if I replace all the time code to use the native time service from the Switch. I may have to open an issue in the devkitPro repository (because standard C functions are actually part of devkitA64).

I didn't change the time calculations in the actual dump process, just the time related functions used in the "Please wait" screen. But this confirms my suspicions. Thanks a lot!

By the way, the game card launch error from Horizon after using the application is a known bug with the fsp-srv service. All public dumpers have the same problem. It gets fixed by ejecting and reinserting the game card (at least while using Hekate). I don't think that's the error mentioned by @PatrickD85 but I still want to confirm it.

Last edited by DarkMatterCore,

yesimnathan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When attempting to build with the latest commit, I'm seeing this error:

Code:
linking gcdumptool.elf
dumper.o: In function `dumpGameCartridge':
/developer/source/dumper.c:463: undefined reference to `fsStorageGetSize'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [/opt/devkitpro/libnx/switch_rules:80: /developer/gcdumptool.elf] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:160: build] Error 2

It looks like the 'fsStorageGetSize' definition was removed from fsext.c in this commit but the declaration in fsext.h & usage in dumper.c was left in.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
When attempting to build with the latest commit, I'm seeing this error:

Code:
linking gcdumptool.elf
dumper.o: In function `dumpGameCartridge':
/developer/source/dumper.c:463: undefined reference to `fsStorageGetSize'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [/opt/devkitpro/libnx/switch_rules:80: /developer/gcdumptool.elf] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:160: build] Error 2

It looks like the 'fsStorageGetSize' definition was removed from fsext.c in this commit but the declaration in fsext.h & usage in dumper.c was left in.

That's because the project is using latest libnx commit from its GitHub repository (manually compiled), along with these devkitPro pacman packages: pkg-config, switch-pkg-config, switch-curl, switch-libxml2 and switch-libjson-c. It won't build otherwise.

In any case, you'll find the latest build attached to this post. There's a couple of things I wanna finish before doing a proper release, though, but this should stop the hang ups.

Reactions: yesimnathan

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Does this mean you can update your dumps with latest version of them? if so could it also look in SD card for update data as well as online?

thanks

Not at all. It's an option to update the application itself by pulling the binary from the latest GitHub release. It still isn't working, though.

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not at all. It's an option to update the application itself by pulling the binary from the latest GitHub release. It still isn't working, though.

i just realize that but I like to suggest a tool needed A way to update your dumps with the latest version of them? if so could it also look in SD card for update data as well as online?
thanks

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
i just realize that but I like to suggest a tool needed A way to update your dumps with the latest version of them? if so could it also look in SD card for update data as well as online?
thanks

That's out of the scope of this application, to be honest. I would actually prefer not to mess with Nintendo's CDN at all.

You're better off looking for update packages and installing them.

yesimnathan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because the project is using latest libnx commit from its GitHub repository (manually compiled), along with these devkitPro pacman packages: pkg-config, switch-pkg-config, switch-curl, switch-libxml2 and switch-libjson-c. It won't build otherwise.

In any case, you'll find the latest build attached to this post. There's a couple of things I wanna finish before doing a proper release, though, but this should stop the hang ups.

Just wanted to say that this newest version worked great for Octopath & the Mega Man X Legacy Collection =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/j-JgIxFZTKY?si=9yG57ooZm1wvSOsz