NX-Shell - Multipurpose File Manager for Nintendo Switch

Hello everyone, the new release with the much requested USB support is finally here! (Couldn't have done it without @DarkMatterCore's usb library) It's worth mentioning since it is such a big update (backend changes and FS refactor) there *may* be some issues, but the only way I can find and fix those is through you guys! However rest assured, I did run a lot of tests myself to make sure it is functioning as expected. If I waited a month, it would've been exactly 2 years since the last release 🥺.

icon.jpg

Change-log:

• FS:
    • Added support for browsing USB devices.
    • Switched back to libc to handle FS operations.
    • Brought back support for browsing other devices such as safe, user and system.
  • GUI:
    • Update to imGui v1.88.
    • Switch to imGui's new keyEvent API.
    • The two views (File Browser and Settings) can now be navigated as tabs.
    • Switched from list view to a table view using imGui's table API.
    • Sorting is no longer applied from settings, it can be done directly by clicking on the table column headers.
    • A new selector has been added to allow the user to switch to different devices such as safe, user, USB etc.
    • Settings are no longer categorized by imGui's tree system.
    • No longer uses SDL2 as a backend, but instead uses opengl v3 directly (along with egl).
  • Fixes:
    • Properly delete config file if the config file version is outdated.
    • Properly free textures after exiting application.
    • Fixed scrolling via the right joystick after zooming into an image.
    • Lots of code clean up and under the hood changes that are too many to list here.

f43g1ya.jpg

3dU0ciU.jpg

2022080419235500-a282ce99633b844e0497db963451d670-jpg.321175

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases

Last edited by Joel16,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
With all these video player homebrews coming around, I'm probably going to just remove the feature. No reason to waste my time.
Aw man, please, don't drop the feature, as @MVG said before, options are always good, it's not like you are competing agaist other video players, even if your video player on NXShell isn't fully featured, something that "just works" would be appreciated, after all your video player is pretty much done, I don't see the need of removing the feature. Keep up the good work @Joel16 and never give up :D

oblid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
It's ok if you remove video player. Concentrate in the file explorer. But, already is the best file explorer so is in you what is the next move :)

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I second this notion. At least let us buy you a coffee/beer.

You can do it, there's a link in the GitHub...

I'd like to have a video-player in NX-Shell, wether it's made from the ground up or adapted from already existing open-source code does not really matter to me but it feels like NX-Shell is in need of such a feature as it could really be a great multi-media app for the switch...

D

Deleted-351540

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know! I'll definitely be donating a coffee or 5 for such a handy homebrew app.

Also, for the record, I'm not against having a video player in NX-Shell but I'd rather @Joel16 focuses on the file browser side first. Also the ebook reader. Thanks for keeping up the good work, Joel!

Kotomine Kirei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With all these video player homebrews coming around, I'm probably going to just remove the feature. No reason to waste my time.

I think that having a video player in NX-Shell is convenient, since NX-Shell looks nice, is easy to use and has a music player.

Off-topic though, could you add a text editor to NX-Shell at some point, please?

Last edited by Kotomine Kirei,

cpasjuste

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just to be clear, i did start working (port) with ffmpeg there's more than 6 months now, and started the ui (pplay) there is more than 3 months. So yes, it can be frustrating to see people doing the same stuff as us, but it was also the case for me when you started working on this (and this is also why i did announce it so you know it's already in a good shape :P ).

Last edited by cpasjuste,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear, i did start working (port) with ffmpeg there's more than 6 months now, and started the ui (pplay) there is more than 3 months. So yes, it can be frustrating to see people doing the same stuff as us, but it was also the case for me when you started working on this (and this is also why i did announce it so you know it's already in a good shape :P ).

All good cpasjuste, I knew you back from the good old PSP days (CFW extender was it?) and I trust that you'll have something really nice under your hands. I just didn't want to have people questioning me about implementing various features like yours later on (users complaining about why does X have this, but Y doesn't). NX-Shell isn't a fully pledged video player, infact I didn't even think about it until some people mentioned it back in the early releases around July/Agusut.. I just wanted to give it some basic support like pause/play, rewind/forward and I'd call it. I'll still try and come up a basic implementation, but that's all I'd be doing here with the video player.

Also for the people who encourage me daily and support my projects, I haven't forgotten about you guys. Thank you very much for your constant support!

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NX-Shell v1.1.0 avialable.

First of all, I want to wish everyone a happy new year! I also want to apologize for the lack of certain features with the following update. I really wanted to do more with this release, but I became ill right after I had my finals during mid December, and I couldn't really do much, and to add to that I was also away at the time so things got really bad during then :(, Unfortunately I had just the past week to do most of the cleaning up and wasn't able to work on some things but most stuff had to be put back. For example the video player had to be removed for this release because it just wasn't ready, and I haven't had the time to purchase a usb-c device to do any testing with that either. However, I did manage to sneak in a few little things with my short time. I hope you guys appreciate this release. Thanks for all your constant support! I'll be continuing my work on this in 2019, expect great things! Anyway:

Change-log:
  • Make cancel button functional via buttons.
  • Add image rotation and flipping.
  • Fixed portrait orientation next/previous page buttons in ebook reader.
  • Allow movement after image is zoomed in gallery. (Right analog stick to zoom into image, left analog stickto move around zoomed image.)
  • Made some minor adjustments to delta time and minor fixes with the status bar alignment.
  • Fixed menu bar animation timing.
  • Fixed buffer overflow when selecting a file with a large name.
  • Integrate FTP menu using mtheall's ftpd src. (Can be toggled from within the menu bar).
  • Fixed some dialog title alignment issues.
  • Fixed bug with the PLUS button causing music player to exit, when it should be toggling locked mode.
  • Add support for extracting .RAR files.
  • Added support for rendering animated GIFs. (May take a while to load, and some GIFs may have wrong timings, so far I've tested 5 GIFs and only one out of the 5 had timing issues).

re2Lg9M.jpg

LtnF94P.jpg

https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases/tag/1.10

Last edited by Joel16,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over