NX-Shell - Multipurpose File Manager for Nintendo Switch

Hello everyone, the new release with the much requested USB support is finally here! (Couldn't have done it without @DarkMatterCore's usb library) It's worth mentioning since it is such a big update (backend changes and FS refactor) there *may* be some issues, but the only way I can find and fix those is through you guys! However rest assured, I did run a lot of tests myself to make sure it is functioning as expected. If I waited a month, it would've been exactly 2 years since the last release 🥺.

icon.jpg

Change-log:

• FS:
    • Added support for browsing USB devices.
    • Switched back to libc to handle FS operations.
    • Brought back support for browsing other devices such as safe, user and system.
  • GUI:
    • Update to imGui v1.88.
    • Switch to imGui's new keyEvent API.
    • The two views (File Browser and Settings) can now be navigated as tabs.
    • Switched from list view to a table view using imGui's table API.
    • Sorting is no longer applied from settings, it can be done directly by clicking on the table column headers.
    • A new selector has been added to allow the user to switch to different devices such as safe, user, USB etc.
    • Settings are no longer categorized by imGui's tree system.
    • No longer uses SDL2 as a backend, but instead uses opengl v3 directly (along with egl).
  • Fixes:
    • Properly delete config file if the config file version is outdated.
    • Properly free textures after exiting application.
    • Fixed scrolling via the right joystick after zooming into an image.
    • Lots of code clean up and under the hood changes that are too many to list here.

f43g1ya.jpg

3dU0ciU.jpg

2022080419235500-a282ce99633b844e0497db963451d670-jpg.321175

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases

Last edited by Joel16,

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Very good update, that's a great initiative to include an FTP server into NX-Shell, this is definitely gonna be useful to me !

Have a happy new year and relax man, we'll wait for the next update :)

Btw I was thinking about something for the video player, does it play webm? That'd be neat as it's a good format for small random videos and I'm sure I'm not the only one here with a collection of those that I picked on imageboards ^^

Last edited by Idaho,
Reactions: Mothafuckka

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice work 8-)

Just wondering what the difference is between nx-shell and nx-shell-3 in the archive?

NX-Shell-3? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Very good update, that's a great initiative to include an FTP server into NX-Shell, this is definitely gonna be useful to me !

Have a happy new year and relax man, we'll wait for the next update :)

Btw I was thinking about something for the video player, does it play webm? That'd be neat as it's a good format for small random videos and I'm sure I'm not the only one here with a collection of those that I picked on imageboards ^^

ATM, video player was removed due to some complexities and the availability of other alternatives. As of now I can't really make any comments on it, but I'll look into some other features in the meantime.

Reactions: Idaho

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Joel16,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minor update v1.20 released. Just wanted to get this one out as it includes some critical fixes and changes.

Change-log:
  • Now uses official software keyboard with text validation for creating/renaming folders and files.
  • Refactored FS code to support copying to/from other mount points. (copying files now uses internal fs functions)
  • Properly get free/max storage for each partition using FS rather than NS.
  • Fixed progress bar from incorrectly blending into the background.
  • Update SDL_FontCache to v0.10 and revert back to using the Roboto font - which now properly displays accented characters such as é.
  • Display MP3 id3v2 cover art image if found.

Znr3NUI.jpg

2CWueHN.jpg

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases/tag/1.20

Last edited by Joel16,

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hmm, I guess that would work too :P How about an update notification when starting the app?

Not a good idea if you want to stay on an older version for whatever reason or if you can't update because you can't easily download stuff (relying on 4G network...etc), I think it's totally okay to rely on stalking the git, thread updates and on the homebrew store to get informed and download new updates.

Though I think the homebrew store should be updated to have more categories, especially a category for newly released apps (to promote new apps to common users who don't go lurk around forums) and also a category for themes (as for now they're invading the store and are classified as applications which makes browsing through the store quite harsh) it should also have a functionality to list all installed apps and update/remove them and also have an in-app button to exit the app back to the HBL but that should be discussed on a more appropriate thread...

Talking about that I have a relatively simple ergonomy suggestion for NX-Shell that is the following :
Why not bind the contextual action menu to the "+" button and add an in app button that we'd find on the bruger menu that we find by pressing "-" to leave the app, this would have two advantages, make things more intuitive/clean and also make the app totally usable from gamepad...

I would easily be able to implement nightlies or something if the switch curl packages supported tlsv1.2.

If you want to provide nightlies maybe you should release a second NX-Shell app on the store for nightlies (I know I would occasionally use it to give you feedback on this thread), this would save you the cost of coding an in-app updater while still making things quite convenient...

Last edited by Idaho,

luckyneymar11

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello joel16
in the last release i have a problème with the ebook reader
the botom of the page can not be read ( it's impossible to scroll full down) and the homebrew crash a lot
i never had this problème in the older release.
(sorry for the bad english, is not my first langage )

Karones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've noticed a few problems with the ebook reader, as the guy above said, the bottom half of the page isn't accessible and I've noticed it seems to crash when zooming after a certain threshold.
Thanks a ton for this software!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...