RELEASE NX-Shell - Multipurpose File Manager for Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Joel16, May 26, 2018.

1. blawar

blawar GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    After you explained it, I now understand what you were trying to say. I think it was the language barrier. You were answering his question, but the context was not clear because you quoted his entire post and the english was a bit awkward. Dev's often get harassed by users who want to push for their features to be implemented, I understand Joels frustration. It was nothing personal to you.

That said, NX-Shell is awesome, and its the only homebrew I run on my switch besides my own. I cant wait to see future updates during your winter break joel.

Azel, tangotnt, Joel16 and 2 others like this.
  2. Plex7

Plex7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2018
    United States
    Any word if there will be WMA support?

3. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Depends if ffmpeg supports it I guess. If it has any weird DRM then not likely.

Joel16 likes this.
  4. Joel16
    OP

Joel16 Ils ne passeront pas

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    Ok so audio is working with the video player and is now merged into master. If someone can test the nightly that would be nice. Please test with something small, I have only tested an mp4 video which is about 30 MB and is 1280x720.
    Currently doesn't pause, or exit the video player once it stops playing. You can press "B" to exit, but causes glitches on the right side of the screen sometimes. May cause hangs/crashes, so be aware of that.

I'm no weeb, but Naruto is quite the only anime I watch (updated test video with shitty audio due to camera distance -- might get flagged for copyright):

Nightly build: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/blob/gh-pages/NX-Shell.nro

5. ReikaRin

ReikaRin GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2018
    Indonesia
    tested with 300 mb mp4 video 45 minutes, working fine
    will test with other video

Last edited by ReikaRin, Dec 8, 2018
  6. pdapanda

pdapanda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 19, 2014
    Switzerland
    Tried it with a 24 min h264 animation,worked fine.
    Can you clarify what kind of video encoding the player support? Maybe everything ffmpeg supports in theory?

Last edited by pdapanda, Dec 8, 2018
  7. Joel16
    OP

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    Should be anything ffmpeg supports but currently NX-Shell only allows MP4 but I'll make changes after further testing.

8. ReikaRin

ReikaRin GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2018
    Indonesia
    i have some mp4 file from streaming site that can not work

9. fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2018
    Australia
    i really love this App and it works great on SX OS so having USB read and write seams like a natural fit i can ftp in to sd card and copy it off to the USB be really good for moving HB files roms etc , mind you FTPing in to USB hard would be good as well

10. Joel16
    OP

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    At the moment, only 720p mp4 videos can be played. Anything higher than 720p may cause problems.

Also maybe this one won't get flagged for copyright: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rXSrgDKvAjFfBaaqHCcdkBt11SSGMcgS (PS. It's a trailer, it is not netflix on your switch)
    The sound and the quality of the video looks off, but looks and sounds a lot better in person.

Last edited by Joel16, Dec 9, 2018
    hippy dave and Mothafuckka like this.
  11. ReikaRin

ReikaRin GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2018
    Indonesia
    some 720 mp4 video that i have make switch freeze when opening the file

12. Joel16
    OP

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    Csmrcc likes this.
  13. ReikaRin

ReikaRin GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2018
    Indonesia
    updated to last nightly build, inside debug.log
    "
    Unsupported codec,codec id 173"

14. Bla1ze

Bla1ze Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2018
    Canada
    @Joel16 Thanks for putting this together. I appreciate it.

sorabora and Joel16 like this.
  15. Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2018
    Australia
    Did some testing this is a 720p mkv file was just under 1gb audio is good but weird visuals lel

1080p mkv around 600mb seems to be playing fine audio is good too

Idaho and Mothafuckka like this.
  16. Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2018
    Australia
    Heres some more tests, I put pastebin links in the video descriptions with media info so you can see details about each file. When testing this time There were two which wouldn't open these were both larger than 1GB here is the media info for those https://pastebin.com/QuaJwwTU. I also noticed that if you close a video then open another one sometimes they dont play at or just play audio. This was fixed by going to the home page and then opening nx shell again.

First one is upside down sorry

Did a bit more testing if device goes into sleep mode while video is playing it becomes unresponsive. The 4th video started having audio and visual stuttering after a few minutes of playback, Same with The 3rd video which is also 1080p will test some more 720p video. Let the first video play for a while and the audio started desyncing probably around 5-10 minutes in. Audio desync on second video too after playing for around 10-15 minutes. It had no points where it skipped or anything so maybe the audio is playing a bit too fast or video a small bit to slow, that video just finished when palyback ended the system crashed lel. Sorry cant test mp4 as I dont have any

Last edited by Shadow_The_Hedgehog82, Dec 10, 2018
    Idaho and hippy dave like this.
  17. bostonBC

bostonBC GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 17, 2011
    United States
    I must be doing something wrong...

Trying to copy System/Contents/registered to SD so i could use ChoiDuJourNX to install a new system menu but it won't let me copy anything from that folder.

Using Original FW 6.1.0 and CFW 2. 3 beta.

TIA

The debug.log shows this:

fsFsOpenFile(/New/.., FS_OPEN_READ, 1821297592) failed: 0x202
    fsFsOpenFile(/New, FS_OPEN_READ, 1821297592) failed: 0x202

Repeated over an over.

But only when I use a microSD formated with exFAT. When I use a Fat32 one it produces no debug.log.

Last edited by bostonBC, Dec 11, 2018
  18. Sathichot

Sathichot Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2018
    Thailand
  19. Centergaming

Centergaming GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2016
    United States
    Hi Joel16, I really appreciate the work that you've done! Thank you so much! I have one question, would a video scrubber and a play/pause button be added in the near future? Thanks.

20. Joel16
    OP

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    With all these video player homebrews coming around, I'm probably going to just remove the feature. No reason to waste my time.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted