Nvidia Shield Sales are 'Great,' Production Ramping up Soon

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My point wasn't that there are no high quality games on Android, it's that the majority of developers are targeting the majority group: The average smartphone user. Just because the hardware will become more powerful doesn't mean developers will start developing hardcore crap. Unfortunately, casual smartphone games will always take a priority over "Android Handheld Game X".

Tom, you don't know what you're talking about. With the Shield on the horizon, now you can play Angry Birds in glorious HD - that's a gamer's wet dream.

So Ports vs Exclusives right?
I would much rather play a port/cross-buy of a good game than an exclusive mediocre budget title. Quality comes at a price more often than not.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
My point wasn't that there are no high quality games on Android, it's that the majority of developers are targeting the majority group: The average smartphone user. Just because the hardware will become more powerful doesn't mean developers will start developing hardcore crap. Unfortunately, casual smartphone games will always take a priority over "Android Handheld Game X".

Exactly! Which is why NVIDIA is doing all this. But that doesn't mean there can't be Hardcore Gaming on Android.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Clones? Then every FPS is a clone to GoldenEye. Every Platformer is a clone of Super Mario. Every Survival Horror is a clone of Resident Evil. Every Stealth Game is a clone of Metal Gear.

Uhm... I think you forgot about a few relavant titles... Y'know, like... Quake? Or Doom? Or Duke Nukem 3D? Or every platformer made before Mario? Or Silent Hill? *sighs*

In any case, our "point" is that the smartphone that's likely already in your pocket is entirely capable of doing everything the Shield is capable of if not more, and as far as the controls are concerned...

7Orwbxr.jpg
This thing here is called a controller. It costs about $30, which is ten times less than the device you bought and it gives your smartphone all the controls you need.

Reactions: The Milkman

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clones? Then every FPS is a clone to GoldenEye. Every Platformer is a clone of Super Mario. Every Survival Horror is a clone of Resident Evil. Every Stealth Game is a clone of Metal Gear.

You know thats not what im saying at all. Please don't play stupid when the logic behind your purchase is questioned, it really doesnt help your case.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Uhm... I think you forgot about a few relavant titles... Y'know, like... Quake? Or Doom? Or Duke Nukem 3D? Or every platformer made before Mario? Or Silent Hill? *sighs*

In any case, our "point" is that the smartphone that's likely already in your pocket is entirely capable of doing everything the Shield is capable of if not more, and as far as the controls are concerned...

7Orwbxr.jpg
This thing here is called a controller. It costs about $30, which is ten times less than the device you bought and it gives your smartphone all the controls you need.

How much a Smartphone and Tablet(Shield's Graphic Capable) cost? Plus you need and ugly add-on that drain you battery.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How much a Smartphone and Tablet(Shield's Graphic Capable) cost? Plus you need and ugly add-on that drain you battery.
The graphics won't differ whatsoever because an Android app is an Android app - the Shield ones will be the same ones available from TegraZone right now so any handset (which you are likely to already have unless you're a caveman with no phone) based on Tegra will play them exactly the same - any other handset will play them as well, with a few Tegra-specific tidbits missing. The controller doesn't hog your battery life because it has its own batteries. The Shield gives you no advantage in this scenario other than the advantage of having a lighter wallet.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I do have a HTC One M7 and I hate to play on it. And it does cuz if your phone is not capable it won't run on it.

And here we come to the epic conclusion - smartphone handsets are evolving at an astonishing rate. Within just 2-3 years we've gone from single-core 1GHz processors to quad-core and we're on the brink of entering octo-core area.

How fast do you think the Shield will lose its support? The 3DS and the PSVita aren't going to change their specs - they'll be around for the next 10 years and games will be optimized to work on them - can't say the same for the Shield which will enter the realm of obscurity once its specs are no longer relevant on the Android arena. Have you considered that scenario?

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have a HTC One M7 and I hate to play on it. And it does cuz if your phone is not capable it won't run on it.

you mean that brand new high-end phone? Have you tried using a Mobo or any sort of bluetooth controller on it yet? Have you actually attempted to play one of these 'Great Titles' on it yet?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny