1. EvilMakiPR

OP EvilMakiPR GBATemp Maniac

Puerto Rico
    Sales of Nvidia's Android-powered gaming handheld, the Nvidia Shield, have inspired confidence in the platform's future from Nvidia's leaders, GamesIndustry international reports.

Senior Director of Investor Relations Chris Evenden describes sales as "great" and says "everything that we shipped so far has sold out ... we're just starting to ramp production."

Source

I personally just (literally) bought one
    [​IMG]

2. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Nvidia Sales Rep Speaks on Shield Sales

Also, how does the "free" copy of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon cost $39.90? It doesn't even cost that much at full price! Is this the "freely giving away your money" version?

3. Enchilada

Enchilada GBAtemp Regular

Romania
    Damn, and I just bought a Nexus 7 two months ago. NVidia Shield's future looks bright.

OFF: 39$ is not that expensive for a "free" game. :lol:

4. EvilMakiPR

Puerto Rico
    Yeah its Free with the purchase of the APU.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    "The NVIDIA Shield sold the thousands of units we shipped! IT'S GONNA BE SO SUCCESSFUL."

I doubt this will end up as successful as they hope. While the whole "stream your shit from your PC!" thing is nice, I just don't think it's worth the $300.

6. EvilMakiPR

Puerto Rico
    Why not? Tablets which are inferior in Hardware are more expensive. Not to mention this has Real Controls. We'll Start to see more and more software coming to it now that Nvidia's Shield goes open-source

7. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Better tech than tablets, real controls, where have I heard that before ? Oh yeah..

8. IBNobody

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    What video card did you pair it with?

I'm waiting on the Shield 2, with the Tegra 5 and all the bugs and hinge weaknesses worked out of the original model.

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 Endless Trash
    Global Moderator

Poland
    >Sony releases a quad-core, powerful handheld with all the knick-knacks you can think of (including 3G in the 3G version) for $250. People complain that it's too expensive and refrain from buying it.
    >NVidia releases a quad-core, powerful Android-based handheld for $300, it plays all your favourite smartphone games and does some streaming. Apparently sells.

I don't think I understand gamers all that well. Funny aside though, I don't really forecast a bright future for this one, but we'll see how it fares.

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    To be fair, NVidia only shipped a few thousand tablets. So "sold out" isn't much of a statement.

Ergo likes this.
  11. Foxi4

Foxi4 Endless Trash
    Global Moderator

Poland
    I know, you're entirely right. That being said, I still don't understand why would anyone buy a dedicated device like this when it's going to fall straight into the realm of obscurity the very pictosecond someone makes a "better Android handset". Game developers will always choose the market that'll reap more profits and with Android you have either quadrillions of smartphone users or five Shield/OUYA/GameStick users... I think the maths here are pretty easy and you don't have to be an analyst to see the "problem". :P

12. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    Agreed. Sometimes just for that, I just don't get consumers in general. XD I'm surprised it sold that much. Still...

13. BoxmanWTF

BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Canada
    Personally, I'd rather buy a vita than a shield.

14. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    The people that buy the shield over the Vita... I don't understand you.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  15. emigre

emigre i am a free i am not man a number

United Kingdom

In a bout of jousting, a shield is much more useful than a Vita.

16. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    I can't even deal with you :rofl:

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  17. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    ....I didn't know nVidia made an Ouya as well.

18. EvilMakiPR

Puerto Rico
    Open Source Powerful Android Gaming Device with A Lot of Free and almost free games(WHICH THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD QUALITY GAMES) and able to enter in the Google Play Store vs The PS Vita(You know its situation)

I sold my PS Vita for Shield

19. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Not to mention this is something possible on almost EVERY ANDROID DEVICE. If you really want Streaming for your PC games, buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, download a streamer, have a half-decent tablet or phone. Boom. No need to spend 300 just for a device that does ONLY that.

Now... if we were talking some sort of UMPC with an actual x86 processor that could RUN my PC games anywhere.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 Endless Trash
    Global Moderator

Poland
    You can have all the horsepower in the world and you're still only going to get smartphone-level video games for this system for the reason I've mentioned above - there's infinitely more Android smartphone users than there will be Shield users. If you think that you're going to get superior versions specifically polished for the Shield or some amazing exclusives then I'm afraid you have another thing coming.

If you're counting on GRID to save the day, keep in mind that there's a huge update ahead for the PSVita, enabling PS2/3/4 game streaming via Remote Play and/or Gaikai which will essentially do the exact same thing, just with console games instead of PC games which surprisingly can be a good thing since those are made to be played with a gamepad unlike PC games which aren't always gamepad-friendly.

At the end of the day, you traded a dedicated gaming system for a glorified palmtop with a controller stuck to it. Sorry for bursting your bubble, but that's just the way it is (or at least the way I see it - we'll see what the future holds).

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Production, Ramping, Nvidia