Nvidia Shield Sales are 'Great,' Production Ramping up Soon

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Sales of Nvidia's Android-powered gaming handheld, the Nvidia Shield, have inspired confidence in the platform's future from Nvidia's leaders, GamesIndustry international reports.

Senior Director of Investor Relations Chris Evenden describes sales as "great" and says "everything that we shipped so far has sold out ... we're just starting to ramp production."

Source

I personally just (literally) bought one
1094546_637133662987187_26462393_o.jpg

Enchilada

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Damn, and I just bought a Nexus 7 two months ago. NVidia Shield's future looks bright.

OFF: 39$ is not that expensive for a "free" game. :lol:

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
"The NVIDIA Shield sold the thousands of units we shipped! IT'S GONNA BE SO SUCCESSFUL."

I doubt this will end up as successful as they hope. While the whole "stream your shit from your PC!" thing is nice, I just don't think it's worth the $300.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
"The NVIDIA Shield sold the thousands of units we shipped! IT'S GONNA BE SO SUCCESSFUL."

I doubt this will end up as successful as they hope. While the whole "stream your shit from your PC!" thing is nice, I just don't think it's worth the $300.

Why not? Tablets which are inferior in Hardware are more expensive. Not to mention this has Real Controls. We'll Start to see more and more software coming to it now that Nvidia's Shield goes open-source

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
>Sony releases a quad-core, powerful handheld with all the knick-knacks you can think of (including 3G in the 3G version) for $250. People complain that it's too expensive and refrain from buying it.
>NVidia releases a quad-core, powerful Android-based handheld for $300, it plays all your favourite smartphone games and does some streaming. Apparently sells.

I don't think I understand gamers all that well. Funny aside though, I don't really forecast a bright future for this one, but we'll see how it fares.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
>Sony releases a quad-core, powerful handheld with all the knick-knacks you can think of (including 3G in the 3G version) for $250. People complain that it's too expensive and refrain from buying it.
>NVidia releases a quad-core, powerful Android-based handheld for $300, it plays all your favourite smartphone games and does some streaming. Apparently sells.

I don't think I understand gamers all that well.

To be fair, NVidia only shipped a few thousand tablets. So "sold out" isn't much of a statement.

Reactions: Ergo

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be fair, NVidia only shipped a few thousand tablets. So "sold out" isn't much of a statement.

I know, you're entirely right. That being said, I still don't understand why would anyone buy a dedicated device like this when it's going to fall straight into the realm of obscurity the very pictosecond someone makes a "better Android handset". Game developers will always choose the market that'll reap more profits and with Android you have either quadrillions of smartphone users or five Shield/OUYA/GameStick users... I think the maths here are pretty easy and you don't have to be an analyst to see the "problem". :P

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know, you're entirely right. That being said, I still don't understand why would anyone buy a dedicated device like this when it's going to fall straight into the realm of obscurity the very pictosecond someone makes a "better Android handset". Game developers will always choose the market that'll reap more profits and with Android you have either quadrillions of smartphone users or five Shield/OUYA/GameStick users... I think the maths here are pretty easy and you don't have to be an analyst to see the "problem". :P

Agreed. Sometimes just for that, I just don't get consumers in general. XD I'm surprised it sold that much. Still...

BoxmanWTF

♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada

I don't think I understand gamers all that well. Funny aside though, I don't really forecast a bright future for this one, but we'll see how it fares.

Personally, I'd rather buy a vita than a shield.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The people that buy the shield over the Vita... I don't understand you.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

Open Source Powerful Android Gaming Device with A Lot of Free and almost free games(WHICH THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD QUALITY GAMES) and able to enter in the Google Play Store vs The PS Vita(You know its situation)

I sold my PS Vita for Shield

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not to mention this is something possible on almost EVERY ANDROID DEVICE. If you really want Streaming for your PC games, buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, download a streamer, have a half-decent tablet or phone. Boom. No need to spend 300 just for a device that does ONLY that.

Now... if we were talking some sort of UMPC with an actual x86 processor that could RUN my PC games anywhere.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Open Source Powerful Android Gaming Device with A Lot of Free and almost free games(WHICH THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD QUALITY GAMES) and able to enter in the Google Play Store vs The PS Vita(You know its situation)

I sold my PS Vita for Shield

You can have all the horsepower in the world and you're still only going to get smartphone-level video games for this system for the reason I've mentioned above - there's infinitely more Android smartphone users than there will be Shield users. If you think that you're going to get superior versions specifically polished for the Shield or some amazing exclusives then I'm afraid you have another thing coming.

If you're counting on GRID to save the day, keep in mind that there's a huge update ahead for the PSVita, enabling PS2/3/4 game streaming via Remote Play and/or Gaikai which will essentially do the exact same thing, just with console games instead of PC games which surprisingly can be a good thing since those are made to be played with a gamepad unlike PC games which aren't always gamepad-friendly.

At the end of the day, you traded a dedicated gaming system for a glorified palmtop with a controller stuck to it. Sorry for bursting your bubble, but that's just the way it is (or at least the way I see it - we'll see what the future holds).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: