Nvidia Shield Sales are 'Great,' Production Ramping up Soon

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
>Sony releases a quad-core, powerful handheld with all the knick-knacks you can think of (including 3G in the 3G version) for $250. People complain that it's too expensive and refrain from buying it.
>NVidia releases a quad-core, powerful Android-based handheld for $300, it plays all your favourite smartphone games and does some streaming. Apparently sells.

I don't think I understand gamers all that well. Funny aside though, I don't really forecast a bright future for this one, but we'll see how it fares.

To be fair, we are talking about PC players who buy it, not the average run of the mill gamer. The Shield caters towards the PC crowd, not the console gamer crowd, and one has proven that there isn't a huge market for two competitors over the course of two decades while the other is an untapped market that couldn't exist without new technology.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, we are talking about PC players who buy it, not the average run of the mill gamer. The Shield caters towards the PC crowd, not the console gamer crowd, and one has proven that there isn't a huge market for two competitors over the course of two decades while the other is an untapped market that couldn't exist without new technology.

I highly doubt it's PC gamers who buy this. I would love to know which PC gamer would rather stream games to a tiny screen than play on their billion monitor set up with a keyboard and a mouse.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can have all the horsepower in the world and you're still only going to get smartphone-level video games for this system for the reason I've mentioned above - there's infinitely more Android smartphone users than there will be Shield users. If you think that you're going to get superior versions specifically polished for the Shield or some amazing exclusives then I'm afraid you have another thing coming.

just to add, I think there was only a few exclusive tegra enhanced games
and most of them were cracked to run the extra tegra stuff on any device (dead trigger)

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt it's PC gamers who buy this. I would love to know which PC gamer would rather stream games to a tiny screen than play on their billion monitor set up with a keyboard and a mouse.

I would!!!

It depends on the game, really. I wouldn't play an FPS on it because I'm part of the PC-Keyboard-Mouse-Master-Race, but I could play a number of PC MMO's or console ports on it.

I've been playing the FFXIV beta, and it has super slick gamepad controls. I'd love to play that on the Shield.

---------

Evil,

You never told us what video card you also bought.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I would!!!

It depends on the game, really. I wouldn't play an FPS on it because I'm part of the PC-Keyboard-Mouse-Master-Race, but I could play a number of PC MMO's or console ports on it.

I've been playing the FFXIV beta, and it has super slick gamepad controls. I'd love to play that on the Shield.

---------

Evil,

You never told us what video card you also bought.

At last someone that doesn't trash-Talk the Shield!

Didn't buy any graphics card, just an APU with enough RAM to support it. I will Crossfire it later though.

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
At last someone that doesn't trash-Talk the Shield!

Didn't buy any graphics card, just an APU with enough RAM to support it. I will Crossfire it later though.

You'll need an nVidia Kepler GPU (GTX 650 or higher, not mobile) to run PC streaming. That may throw a wrench in your AMD/ATI plans.

Reactions: raulpica

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
NVIDIA Shield is probably the ultimate console for emulators. All the awesome portable emulators developers are on Android right now, so if you don't want to be stuck with 3-years old PSP emulators, Android is the way to go.

I'm also one that WILL use the Game Streaming function. As I'm usually too tired when I come back from work to sit on front of my PC to play one hour of Skyrim, but I'd gladly play it when in bed, and that's where Shield comes in.

Don't say "download streamers" as those don't work as awesomely as the Shield's internal streaming function does.

BTW, I'll probably wait for Shield 2 as Tegra 5 should pretty much destroy the competitors GPUs as it has Kepler (Gaming PC grade stuff) cores in it, and it'll be awesome to emulate on it ;)

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Using ONLIVE on the NVIDIA Shield!

Can't wait for NVIDIA Grid!!

Dude, you're killing me.

You'll play streaming games from OnLive, but you have no interest in buying an nVidia video card to play games streamed from your own PC? What do you think all those OnLive games are being run on? Farms of PS3's? They are PC games.

You already bought the most expensive part of that streaming setup. What keeps you from taking the leap? It can't be ATI/AMD loyalty because you bought into the Shield hype.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
NVIDIA Shield is probably the ultimate console for emulators. All the awesome portable emulators developers are on Android right now, so if you don't want to be stuck with 3-years old PSP emulators, Android is the way to go.
To be entirely fair, those three year old PSP emulators still work like a charm. Sure, it won't do N64 emulation, nor DS (which nearly everybody that uses this forum owns some version of), but I don't think either of those are worth buying a $300 device over just because you get some buttons. Really, anybody that has a useless Android phone laying around can use that as an emulation machine easily with the purchase of a $30 controller add on. Even my Droid X can do some amazing things still, and that hasn't been a relevant phone for a couple of years now. Are you saying that it's a smarter investment to drop $300 on a Shield versus $30 on a bluetooth controller/stand attachment? No matter how you slice it, there are a lot of cheaper alternatives to buying a $300 Android device with a built in controller where emulation is concerned.

For streaming, hey, some of us are more comfortable with certain set ups. I'm cool gaming in bed with my laptop propped against my leg (how I browse GBAtemp much of the time), but I get other people would be happy with a slightly more comfortable set up.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Dude, you're killing me.

You'll play streaming games from OnLive, but you have no interest in buying an nVidia video card to play games streamed from your own PC? What do you think all those OnLive games are being run on? Farms of PS3's? They are PC games.

You already bought the most expensive part of that streaming setup. What keeps you from taking the leap? It can't be ATI/AMD loyalty because you bought into the Shield hype.

No thanks

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To be entirely fair, those three year old PSP emulators still work like a charm. Sure, it won't do N64 emulation, nor DS (which nearly everybody that uses this forum owns some version of), but I don't think either of those are worth buying a $300 device over just because you get some buttons. Really, anybody that has a useless Android phone laying around can use that as an emulation machine easily with the purchase of a $30 controller add on. Even my Droid X can do some amazing things still, and that hasn't been a relevant phone for a couple of years now. Are you saying that it's a smarter investment to drop $300 on a Shield versus $30 on a bluetooth controller/stand attachment? No matter how you slice it, there are a lot of cheaper alternatives to buying a $300 Android device with a built in controller where emulation is concerned.

For streaming, hey, some of us are more comfortable with certain set ups. I'm cool gaming in bed with my laptop propped against my leg (how I browse GBAtemp much of the time), but I get other people would be happy with a slightly more comfortable set up.
Try playing Starfox on the SNES emulator. Or Shin Megami Tensei, and enjoy that garbled/mangled fusion scene ;)

PSP emulators aren't updated anymore, you can't expect more emulation accuracy - and while there's still people using snes9x around, I value it, as I want something nearer the real experience.

Ugh, try using SNES9xEX (the accurate version) on something lower than a $300 Samsung Galaxy S2, you'll have frameskips everywhere.

And frameskips SUCK. Also, the PSX emulator is pretty much playable at 0 frameskip only on a Samsung Galaxy S3 or equivalent. The others will lag. The PSX emulator included in the PSP, while great, doesn't have a lot of functions modern emulators have (like savestates) and they also have the factor that you can directly use ripped games without converting them (I hated having to find fitting icons and stuff for POPstation).

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No thanks

Then can you explain why you're planning to buy ATI/AMD graphic cards for your rig? Because quite frankly, your purchases don't make much sense. Why would you consider buying ATI/AMD graphic cards when you bought an nVidia shield that works best with nVidia graphics cards?

Did you buy an ATI/AMD chipset motherboard that prevents SLI or something when you were buying all these computer parts, not realizing that you'd be gimping your shield?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Buying a ATi/AMD GPU only ever made sense to me if the rig in question was AMD-based in the first place since they do work well in tandem. In case of Intel-based rigs though, nVidia is and always has been the way to go, and seeing that those GPU's now appear to work together with the Shield as well, there is absolutely no logical reason as to why a Shield user would not get a GeForce.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I get what they were trying to say but what the ad actually says is "we tried to cram a ton of... +1