Hacking Discussion [NSP] is greater than [XCI]

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the only downsides are having to update and no online play? That's fine too, i dont mind the jig at all.

I see updating as a good thing. Higher compatibility with more recent games; ability to use devmenu to install nsp, etc.
No online play for sure. Definite Ban so this is for the solo gamer. :rofl2:

Do people with low post counts get ignored on this forum? Guess I'll need to be more witty.

Also, lol.

Reactions: Tasemu

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do people with low post counts get ignored on this forum? Guess I'll need to be more witty.
Oh, being witty is excellent. You can get a lot of likes from people, because even if you contribute to discussions, you won't get likes, being funny is always the secret ingredient to being well-liked. As long as it's on topic, you'll still be considered Chaotic Good. But I'll answer your question.
So the only downsides are having to update and no online play? That's fine too, i dont mind the jig at all.
Yeah, that seems to be the case. I mean, I have a bunch of legit XCI dumps I made, so I probably won't take the plunge, but if I do get banned, it's open season.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

Tasemu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see updating as a good thing. Higher compatibility with more recent games; ability to use devmenu to install nsp, etc.
No online play for sure. Definite Ban so this is for the solo gamer. :rofl2:

Also, lol.

Excellent! Thank you very much. I don't give a damn about multiplayer. Though I imagine I will wait for atmosphere to support playing nsp files before doing much as I'm in no major rush. :)

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NSP>XCI

but
XCI>BAN

and
BAN>NSP

sounds like a rock-paper-scissors variant to me

Thing is though, none of this matters if you don't play online (which is the intention anyways.) You also have the option to use a second switch as your hacked switch that is not associated to any account and keep you main switch legit to go online. Best of both worlds. Ban wont matter for solo or local co-op gameplay.

Last edited by morrison22,

Tasemu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, being witty is excellent. You can get a lot of likes from people, because even if you contribute to discussions, you won't get likes, being funny is always the secret ingredient to being well-liked. As long as it's on topic, you'll still be considered Chaotic Good. But I'll answer your question.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I mean, I have a bunch of legit XCI dumps I made, so I probably won't take the plunge, but if I do get banned, it's open season.

Thank you kindly for the info. I haven't purchased SX yet nor really plan to. But hopefully we see atmosphere with some interesting forks in the future. :)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent! Thank you very much. I don't give a damn about multiplayer. Though I imagine I will wait for atmosphere to support playing nsp files before doing much as I'm in no major rush. :)
You can also update to 5.1.0 following this guide in order to prevent efuses from being burnt and preserve a downgrade path in case future exploits for lower system versions were to ever come out. It will, however, require that you install AutoRCM during the upgrade process.

Tasemu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can also update to 5.1.0 following this guide in order to prevent efuses from being burnt and preserve a downgrade path in case future exploits for lower system versions were to ever come out. It will, however, require that you install AutoRCM during the upgrade process.

Afraid the boat has already sailed on this option for me as I have updated before finding out that hacking my switch was an option. Will keep this in mind for the future though, thanks!

Reactions: issayloki

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afraid the boat has already sailed on this option for me as I have updated before finding out that hacking my switch was an option. Will keep this in mind for the future though, thanks!
Unless you plan on installing AutoRCM regardless, there's probably no real reason to follow the above guide for future system updates.

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
That's the reason I still use Gateway - I literally hate to manage CIAs and now NSPs with all that installation management, it's not a big deal for me to open a loader & select a game I want to play right now. Drag&Drop is what I love so no, for me NSP is worse.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is though, none of this matters if you don't play online (which is the intention anyways.) You also have the option to use a second switch that is not associated to any account and keep you main switch legit to go online. Best of both worlds. Ban wont matter fo solo or local co-op gameplay.
I play way too much Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 to give up online, and I've only got one Switch for now. I'm that Legendary Rarity gamer who uses only legit backups on SX, I'm too lazy to always be changing cartridges all the time. If my Switch gets banned, I might eventually grab another one, but for now, I'm lucky enough to be untouched.
Thank you kindly for the info. I haven't purchased SX yet nor really plan to. But hopefully we see atmosphere with some interesting forks in the future. :)
I expect as much. Most people really underestimate just how awesome this scene will be post-Atmosphere. SX is an early-adopters' perk, no more, no less. They're doing some nice service in the meantime, too.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you don't mind waiting for who knows how long for a) Atmosphere to actually get released in some usable form, b) for the forks to allow for backups/nsp loading whatever,
then sure, crack on.

Otherwise, if you want to get involved in a flourishing, nascent scene and can afford a few quid, just update to latest, get onboard the gravy train and have fun right now.

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL @ Step 1: "1) Simply use CDNSP_Next (Along with CDNSP-GUI) to easily obtain titles, updates and DLC."

Not so simple...i spent 2+ hours trying to get CDNSP to work on my computer and got nothing but errors....tried command line, tried it on both Windows & Mac, also tried CDNSP-GUI and even people on Discord said they tried for hours.....also, you have to have double the space to install games. So if you want to install ~8GB game, you will need to have ~16GB. Sure, it does make it nice to not have to load TX menu and you don't have to trim XCI files. However, how long does it take to trim an XCI? Just a couple clicks and it's done....keep that XCI on an external hard drive and when you need it, copy it over to your Switch's MicroSD. I do know that TX is working on a better solution to deal with NSP files, and we don't know what that would be (easier way to install them? Maybe load NSP files off the memory card rather than having to install them? Load them from TX Menu?)

I don't know what my problem with CDNSP is, but it just doesn't work. I have python and have done the pip installs, i've got hactool in the same directory. I've watched several YouTube tutorials and every one of them hasn't worked and they have all given different instructions. I don't know if it's my lack of knowledge with Python or if it's just my POS PC that is the problem. My Windows PC was a pain the first day I bought it.

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im still tranna work out how to repack NSP files :/

I am still unsure on this too. I have to do some research still. I am hoping there is a nice GUI for CDNSP that can apply updates/dlc to titles automatically. If there isn't, I am sure one will appear.

CDNSP-GUI is great for downloading from a custom or predefined title list, however at this time it doesn't have the option to repackage with updates or DLC. The author forfeited the project and it is now on github, open source: https://github.com/thinktech2go/CDNSP-GUI

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

LOL @ Step 1: "1) Simply use CDNSP_Next (Along with CDNSP-GUI) to easily obtain titles, updates and DLC."

Not so simple...i spent 2+ hours trying to get CDNSP to work on my computer and got nothing but errors....tried command line, tried it on both Windows & Mac, also tried CDNSP-GUI and even people on Discord said they tried for hours.....also, you have to have double the space to install games. So if you want to install ~8GB game, you will need to have ~16GB. Sure, it does make it nice to not have to load TX menu and you don't have to trim XCI files. However, how long does it take to trim an XCI? Just a couple clicks and it's done....keep that XCI on an external hard drive and when you need it, copy it over to your Switch's MicroSD. I do know that TX is working on a better solution to deal with NSP files, and we don't know what that would be (easier way to install them? Maybe load NSP files off the memory card rather than having to install them? Load them from TX Menu?)

I don't know what my problem with CDNSP is, but it just doesn't work. I have python and have done the pip installs, i've got hactool in the same directory. I've watched several YouTube tutorials and every one of them hasn't worked and they have all given different instructions. I don't know if it's my lack of knowledge with Python or if it's just my POS PC that is the problem. My Windows PC was a pain the first day I bought it.

Sounds like a system issue somewhere gone bad. I mean, try installing a Virtual Machine with windows and then install python and use CDNSP in that. This way you have a clean windows install to test it on. If it works, then your choice to keep it that way, or format your pc and start fresh.

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still unsure on this too. I have to do some research still. I am hoping there is a nice GUI for CDNSP that can apply updates/dlc to titles automatically. If there isn't, I am sure one will appear.

CDNSP-GUI is great for downloading from a custom or predefined title list, however at this time it doesn't have the option to repackage with updates or DLC. The author forfeited the project and it is now on github, open source: https://github.com/thinktech2go/CDNSP-GUI

Sounds like a system issue somewhere gone bad. I mean, try installing a Virtual Machine with windows and then install python and use CDNSP in that. This way you have a clean windows install to test it on. If it works, then your choice to keep it that way, or format your pc and start fresh.

hmm, I have a fresh VM install of Windows 10 on my Mac...i'll try it that way....

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm, I have a fresh VM install of Windows 10 on my Mac...i'll try it that way....
That is what I am using... VMWare Fusion on my Macbook Pro ;)

Dont you need double the space of the title to install NSP? Thought I read that somewhere on here

If you have a 2 GB NSP file, you need 2GB to put that NSP file on the SD Card and 2 GB for devmenu to install it. Afterwards, you can delete the NSP file from the SD CARD (its just the installer). So the game only occupies 2 GB of space when all is said and done.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just load my internal with updates lol thats all its good for imo LOL
I will stick with XCI as my main backups, but OFC I will be using nsp's for games that dont have xci's :P

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a pain in the ass. .XCI files are much easier for now. Drag and drop. Easy to update too. It would be nice to have the option to install to internal storage but (A) the internal storage is only 26 GB anyways and (B) it would be better to move data at will. Maybe CFW will include a basic data management feature that the console should have launched with over a year ago. You guys do you though. If it was the Wii U days I'd probably be done to try this. I can wait. Right now, I don't have the time or patience to fuck with this.

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...