Hacking Discussion [NSP] is greater than [XCI]

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
For those who have a large number of XCI files on their Micro SD Cards...
I think it would be a better setup to use NSP files instead. Here is why:

1) Simply use CDNSP_Next (Along with CDNSP-GUI) to easily obtain titles, updates and DLC.
2) No need to Trim any files.
3) Repackage titles with updates and DLC into once nice NSP package.

Once files are obtained, launch FTPd from within SX OS Homebrew Menu and transfer the nsp file(s) to the root of the Micro SD Card. Then install them via Devmenu (This method may change once TX release an installation tool). Afterwards, delete the NSP file(s) off of the card using FTPd.

Pros:

1) No need to utilize SX OS Loader Menu / Cart Emulation to load games. Just click the "Installed" game and start playing immediately. (Note: You still need to use SX OS to enable signature patching which happens automatically.)
2) Choice of where to install games, updates and DLC (System Memory or Micro SD Card)
3) Best part of all! No need to REBOOT and re-enter RCM at all during the entire process!

Cons:

1)
Higher detection rate; guaranteed ban. However, if this is not a concern to you (perhaps you have a second switch dedicated to hacking and offline play), then this con is insignificant.

Notes: It would be nice if FTPd or something can run in the background in SX OS, so you can play games while another NSP File is being transferred to the Switch. Or even a way to load via USB without having to use another payload. The idea is to seamlessly get from point A, CDNSP, to Point B, Switch SD CARD, without having to reboot. The only way to achieve this so far in SX OS is by using FTPd; albeit slow, it is the only working method.
The cons outweigh the pros IMO. Maybe in the future we will have a safer way to do it (like using a list of public certs to download, and disabling all telemetry on the Switch)

Jaimy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're on smaller SD card and switch often, it is better to have XCI than NSP unless you want to go through install/update/DLC routine every single time. Deleting XCI from PC doesn't delete update and DLC.

Reactions: lordhell

lordhell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you're on smaller SD card and switch often, it is better to have XCI than NSP unless you want to go through install/update/DLC routine every single time. Deleting XCI from PC doesn't delete update and DLC.
even for me with a 128gb card, i still prefer XCI, It's easier to manage the free space with xci. I use nsp only when the game loads faster (dk freeze), or when it's exclusive digital.

Goloki

Proud TX Suporter... LOL!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NSPs are great. I converted my whole collection from XCI to NSP yesterday. Being able to use the internal storage is also really cool.

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i installed main games to the switch itself, but nsp are a hell of a lot smaller in some cases then cut xci files. like odyess is super small at compared to its trim xci. plus its more convient then having to go to albums each time to launch a new game
fyi, it only seems small because it doesn't include the update. Some games are 5MB and then have a 2GB update download. xci bundles that together.

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't Eurogamer's Digital Foundry found out that Internal loads faster than SD card and SD card faster than a Cart?
Edit: Mixed the terms.

Last edited by yadspi,
Reactions: 0000ff

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fyi, it only seems small because it doesn't include the update. Some games are 5MB and then have a 2GB update download. xci bundles that together.

NSP files have a bonus incentive of giving the user an option to install just the base game (Initial space for the game is small)... which allows you to have a bigger collection of games on the SD card at once. So when you want to play it, you can update the game from the menus (even when you are banned this works) to get the remaining data and not have to worry about transferring over any files. And if you need room, you can remove a game you no longer play or want. Also, no need to reboot for taking the SD Card out.

Reactions: Soluble

ninjadudexp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought the BotW cart and then bought the DLC for it. Since I didn't want to pop out the game cart every time I switch games I got the rev001 dump, updated it on OFW and then delinked my account and the DLC stopped working after a week or so. Was yours purchased DLC or download?
no i didnt purchase it, just a download and install through dev

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering they just blocked shogun access within a matter of days, the CDN is not going to be long so you may want to update your cons with losing this entirely in the not to distant future.

Reactions: datahoarder

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Considering converting all my XCI files to NSP. Noticed a bunch of 13GB xci games are 12GB in NSP. Already banned so that isn't a downside for me. Might slowly convert the collection based on when I play them

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering they just blocked shogun access within a matter of days, the CDN is not going to be long so you may want to update your cons with losing this entirely in the not to distant future.

IF that happens, I'll update it. But as it stands now, CDNSP is fully working. We can assume it will not work in the future, but we can also assume it will. Glass is half full in my book.

Reactions: willhack

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IF that happens, I'll update it. But as it stands now, CDNSP is fully working. We can assume it will not work in the future, but we can also assume it will. Glass is half full in my book.

Why would you assume this? The server is there's to control and they have all the tools necessary to block this and have already started blocking certain servers.

None of this is in the user's control. Its just using a loophole in the server access stack, and part of it has already been altered by Nintendo. They know exactly what is going on here and they control the server.

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you assume this? The server is there's to control and they have all the tools necessary to block this and have already started blocking certain servers.

None of this is in the user's control. Its just using a loophole in the server access stack, and part of it has already been altered by Nintendo. They know exactly what is going on here and they control the server.

Loopholes are discovered quite frequently. Sure, Nintendo has the upper hand but they are slow most of the time. Let's just see what happens and how things play out. Enjoy it while it lasts.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loopholes are discovered quite frequently. Sure, Nintendo has the upper hand but they are slow most of the time. Let's just see what happens and how things play out. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I mean, its been days since this went 'up' widely and they've already started altering things.

From an info securities and server engineering point of view that's not slow at all. That's lightning fast.

And since Nintendo employs HackerOne now, stuff of this variety is trivial to report and they'd know about it within hours of the report submission. I could report this right now but I am certain it already was reported.

Edit: Not that one would need to even report it. Judging by the other thread you have baffoons downloading hundreds of titles, such an access change and bandwidth spike would be a red flag to notice and immediately fix.

Last edited by V-Temp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16