Installing an NSP from the Switch SDK (UE4 game) on a hacked Switch?

BSoD38

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi, I have a friend that asked me to test a build of a game he's working on that is made on UE4 using the official Switch SDK.

I have the NSP on my SD card, but when I tried to install it on several programs (TinWoo, Goldleaf, Tinfoil, DBI), all I get is an error along the lines of "Invalid NCA magic".

I'm on Atmosphere 1.6.2, DeepSea 4.9.0, with the latest sigpatches. I can install/run other NSPs just fine.

Has anyone tried to do this before? How do you install these NSPs on a hacked Switch? These are normally made for devkits.
Post automatically merged:

I tried disabling signature checks on TinWoo (and also tried AtmoXL Titel Installer), and the program simply crashed when trying to install the NSP. I'm completely stumped.

Last edited by BSoD38,

BSoD38

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I thought it was something like that. Any idea how to proceed? I've never done something similar before.

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, does that imply that the person that compiled the NSP has to re-compile it using the console prod keys, or can I repackage the existing NSP file myself?
You can use the source code to do it, or you can send prod.keys (I wouldn't recommend this for reasons I don't know) to the creator and recompile with your console's product/production keys

BSoD38

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can use the source code to do it, or you can send prod.keys (I wouldn't recommend this for reasons I don't know) to the creator and recompile with your console's product/production keys
I guess I could go see my friend and see if they can do that with their SDK, but I have a feeling that the official Nintendo SDK doesn't really allow devs to compile applications using alternative keys. I might be wrong though.

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I could go see my friend and see if they can do that with their SDK, but I have a feeling that the official Nintendo SDK doesn't really allow devs to compile applications using alternative keys. I might be wrong though.
Is this Homebrew or an official Nintendo E-Shop planned game?

BSoD38

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is this Homebrew or an official Nintendo E-Shop planned game?
It's a project from a game dev school. I doubt they plan on releasing anything on the e-shop, but they do have actual real devkit software (from the Nintendo Developer Portal) and hardware. I'm simply trying to help them out by testing the game on my Switch, because they don't always have access to the hardware since it's shared for the whole school.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough on my original post by saying "official Switch SDK".

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a project from a game dev school. I doubt they plan on releasing anything on the e-shop, but they do have actual real devkit software (from the Nintendo Developer Portal) and hardware. I'm simply trying to help them out by testing the game on my Switch, because they don't always have access to the hardware since it's shared for the whole school.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough on my original post by saying "official Switch SDK".
I think you have to use dev hardware with this, and if there isn't any dev hardware chances are this is an illegal operation because official Switch SDKs leak often (Unity homebrew games exist)

BSoD38

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think you have to use dev hardware with this, and if there isn't any dev hardware chances are this is an illegal operation because official Switch SDKs leak often (Unity homebrew games exist)
Oh no it's not illegal, as I said, since the devkits are shared across the whole school, they have a wait list to be able to access them. To avoid having to wait for them, they were trying to find other ways to test their game on real hardware. It's not really that problematic if it's not possible to do what I was asking, they'll just have to wait to get access to the devkits.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You would need to unpack NCAs with devkit prodkeys and pack them using retail prodkeys to be able to install them. Dunno where you will get devkit keys though, and sharing them here is against rules anyway.

Dunno if it's possible, but maybe UE4 doesn't remove files generated for packing to NSP just after finishing packing? Then you could pack them to retail NCAs manually.

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no it's not illegal, as I said, since the devkits are shared across the whole school, they have a wait list to be able to access them. To avoid having to wait for them, they were trying to find other ways to test their game on real hardware. It's not really that problematic if it's not possible to do what I was asking, they'll just have to wait to get access to the devkits.
they have to repack it with your keys as we said before
the official nintendo sdk DOES allow custom keys, whole reason homebrew unity games exist pretty sure

nonei22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only tried this with Unity and I'm pretty sure I didn't need any devkit keys since something apart of the SDK already did the trick of encrypting it, but I only used my regular switch keys, repacked the nsp into retail, and the game worked just fine. iirc there's a guide on here for doing this but I can't link it

luzifix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, I have a friend that asked me to test a build of a game he's working on that is made on UE4 using the official Switch SDK.

I have the NSP on my SD card, but when I tried to install it on several programs (TinWoo, Goldleaf, Tinfoil, DBI), all I get is an error along the lines of "Invalid NCA magic".

I'm on Atmosphere 1.6.2, DeepSea 4.9.0, with the latest sigpatches. I can install/run other NSPs just fine.

Has anyone tried to do this before? How do you install these NSPs on a hacked Switch? These are normally made for devkits.

I tried disabling signature checks on TinWoo (and also tried AtmoXL Titel Installer), and the program simply crashed when trying to install the NSP. I'm completely stumped.

If you still looking for a way to repack the nsp check this out. The tutorial is for unity but I think the repacking part is the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto