TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually it didn't launch with Smash Bros.

Gamecube release: Japan Sept 18 2001, US Nov 18 2001, Europe May 3rd 2002
Smash Bros Melee Release: Japan Nov 21 2001, US Dec 3rd 2001, Europe May 31st 2002.
Oh. My mistake. But either way, it was still VERY shortly after launch. Unless Nintendo's pulling a suicide move, I don't think they have a new Smash Bros or Zelda or Metroid, etc launching with a month or two after the Wii U's release.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GameCube launched with Luigi's Mansion and FREAKING SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE (by far, the greatest Nintendo launch, in my opinion).

Smash Bros Melee Release: Japan Nov 21 2001, US Dec 3rd 2001, Europe May 31st 2001.

:blink: :wtf: :wacko: :unsure:
Already corrected a minute after posting, no need to be assholey.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Smash Bros Melee Release: Japan Nov 21 2001, US Dec 3rd 2001, Europe May 31st 2002.
Oh. My mistake. But either way, it was still VERY shortly after launch. Unless Nintendo's pulling a suicide move, I don't think they have a new Smash Bros or Zelda or Metroid, etc launching with a month or two after the Wii U's release.

If they somewhat was able to launch a 3D Mario game (that was already stated that is in the works) in a short period, similar to the Melee launch, the WiiU may get a good momentum...

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If they somewhat was able to launch a 3D Mario game (that was already stated that is in the works) in a short period, similar to the Melee launch, the WiiU may get a good momentum...
I guess it depends what you mean by "a short period." By a short period, I mean by January or February, not Summer 2013.

And I have faith the Wii U will pick up momentum eventually regardless. I just would rather it pick up momentum a bit sooner than later.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I guess it depends what you mean by "a short period." By a short period, I mean by January or February, not Summer 2013.

And I have faith the Wii U will pick up momentum eventually regardless. I just would rather it pick up momentum a bit sooner than later.

Yup ..that was what I meant ..similar to what happened with Melee

I think a sooner momentum helps to lower customers avoidance too (fear to be a early adopter :P )

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yup ..that was what I meant ..similar to what happened with Melee

I think a sooner momentum helps to lower customers avoidance too (fear to be a early adopter :P )
It's not gonna happen. A new 3D Mario game or Zelda or Metroid would be announced by now, if it was coming out that soon.

keran22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
launching a console with a Zelda title is substantially better than anything you mentioned.
I would agree if Twilight Princess was TRULY a Wii game, and not a GameCube game with tacked-on motion controls. It was no more of a Wii game than any of the "New Play Control!" games were.

Also, i feel like pointing out that, considering my previous point, there's no way that the Wii's launch had anywhere near as strong of a line up as any of Nintendo's previous consoles. The NES launched with the original Super Mario Bros.. The SNES launched with Super Mario World and F-Zero. The N64 launched with Super Mario 64. The GameCube launched with Luigi's Mansion and FREAKING SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE (by far, the greatest Nintendo launch, in my opinion). The Wii had... A GameCube Zelda port and Wii Sports?

Surely, you see what I mean. And only time will tell just how strong the Wii U's launch lineup will be.

I actually completely see what you mean. While I personally wasn't keen on Luigi's Mansion (I picked up my Gamecube for SA2:B), Melee was a really decent game. And you're right, it's an extraordinary level of splitting hairs to dispute that a game released a couple weeks after the console isn't a launch title. Maybe not technically, but that's hardly the point.

But I dunno man. Wii Sports was really, really good. I can't think of many other games I could play with my Grandparents and niece/nephews, and have them be the same level as me when we got the thing. I thought that was pretty darn cool. I certainly enjoyed Twilight Princess a whole lot too. And for the purposes of this thread, we can't use hindsight to compare how the launch titles on the Wii actually were; all we can do is use how people thought they were going to be (because that's how we're judging the WiiU titles - hype). Everyone was batshit crazy about Zelda, and about the motion controls in general.

I guess what i'm saying is, from an outsider point of view, with no knowledge of how the games may have actually played, the Wii looks better on paper than the WiiU. Yes, because Zelda. Bear in mind, before Twilight Princess we had Wind Waker, Majora's, OoT... fucking incredible games! TP was in line to be an instant classic! People wanted that game on the new system! And motion controls were revolutionary, certainly far more so than a tablet! Red Steel LOOKED GOOD. That's all I said. It looked fucking awesome! And you could buy classic mega drive/snes/nes/n64 games! There was so much to get excited about. I just feel that, comparatively, there ain't as much to get excited about with the WiiU. And I honestly struggle to see how anyone can honestly say that they're more excited about the WiiU than they were about the Wii.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Super Smash Bros. Melee wasn't a launch title.
You're late to the party dude. People already pointed that out to me. :P

Actually the Gamecube had a horrific launch line-up. I mean their big name game was Luigi's Mansion (which isn't as good as people jerk off about it).
Well, considering how Melee still came out within a month or two after the GCN in every territory, I personally think it was pretty good. I'd rather a system launch to have one seriously amazing triple A title (Super Mario World, Super Smash Bros. Melee, etc) than a bunch of halfway decent and good titles. But that's just me.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's funny how some here blame Nintendo for reusing engines and assets in NSMB2, when we have game series like Uncharted, God Of War, Assassin's Creed, CoD and on and on doing exactly that. And I don't blame any company for doing that as long as the games are good. It's a tough business and companies have to reduce costs when they can.

We can see a big difference from these series, but still limited for the same hardware.
Try comparing God of War 2 to God of War 3, there is a huge difference because of the raw power difference between PS2 and PS3.
NSMB2 is 6 years after the first one, and for a much powerful handleheld, but it doesn't look much better from the first,
and is easily surpassed by SM3DL when comparing 2D levels.
Considering the raw power of 3DS, we expected something a little closer to Wii version, or maybe even better(beside resolution)
This is why me, and @xwacthmenx are complaining.

Reactions: 1 person

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's funny how some here blame Nintendo for reusing engines and assets in NSMB2, when we have game series like Uncharted, God Of War, Assassin's Creed, CoD and on and on doing exactly that. And I don't blame any company for doing that as long as the games are good. It's a tough business and companies have to reduce costs when they can.

We can see a big difference from these series, but still limited for the same hardware.
Try comparing God of War 2 to God of War 3, there is a huge difference because of the raw power difference between PS2 and PS3.
NSMB2 is 6 years after the first one, and for a much powerful handleheld, but it doesn't look much better from the first,
Considering the raw power of 3DS, we expected something a little closer to Wii version, or maybe even better(beside resolution)
Yes, we discussed this already and there's no need to bring NSMB2 up again. This thread is about NSMBU, u know ;)

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Yes, we discussed this already and there's no need to bring NSMB2 up again. This thread is about NSMBU, u know ;)

Sorry, when I posted that I didn't see the response of @xwatchmanx and your later post.
About NSMBU, I don't know if I'll buy WiiU, but if I buy it, NSMBU will be an instabuy.
Hope the games are aviable at Nintendo Network

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
launching a console with a Zelda title is substantially better than anything you mentioned.
I would agree if Twilight Princess was TRULY a Wii game, and not a GameCube game with tacked-on motion controls. It was no more of a Wii game than any of the "New Play Control!" games were.

Also, i feel like pointing out that, considering my previous point, there's no way that the Wii's launch had anywhere near as strong of a line up as any of Nintendo's previous consoles. The NES launched with the original Super Mario Bros.. The SNES launched with Super Mario World and F-Zero. The N64 launched with Super Mario 64. The GameCube launched with Luigi's Mansion and FREAKING SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE (by far, the greatest Nintendo launch, in my opinion). The Wii had... A GameCube Zelda port and Wii Sports?

Surely, you see what I mean. And only time will tell just how strong the Wii U's launch lineup will be.

As much as I love my N64, there is no way you can say it had a strong launch lineup... sure there was SM64, but that and Pilotwings were it for a whole month. After you beat Mario there was literally nothing. Then in October, there was Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the whole month. That's 3 games total in 2 months, with only 1 "must buy". By the end of the year there were only 8 total games, with only 3 or 4 good ones. I can't think of a slower launch period.

Back on topic... NSMBU might not be earth shattering, but as other people have said, thats not the point. As long as it has plenty of levels and is fun to play, thats all that really matters. Presumably we still play games for fun/entertainment, at least I do.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good god, NSMBU got 10x amazing.

New intro, world map.

a9rdhk.gif

ss0.jpg

ss1.jpg

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I can't hate this at all, really this new footage does what it should...makes me smile.

Oh Nintendo you should have delayed the 3DS game.

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Metroid Blast alone makes me want to buy Nintendo Land... not gonna lie.

Ironically, the 3rd person shooter perspective and control style is very close to what I've been saying the next real Metroid title should be like.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well ok I guess I'll buy this one along with ZombiU, NSMBU, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3 & Wonderful 101.

Fuck sake Nintendo, you're not giving me much left for food!

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fuckin heavy storm over here