Homebrew Not64 Update

jared_core

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you have a link to this hack so I can see for myself? Either way it's not 3-point filtering. I believe extrems has talked about this in the past as to the difficulty in emulating accurate N64 bilinear filtering due to the way the rendering pipeline on the Wii works in regards to what you can do with how the final image is filtered. If even Nintendo's emulator which does many other effects like framebuffer effects doesn't accurately emulate the texture filtering, I'd say it's either hard or impossible with the Wii's hardware.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5334/

Reactions: Disorarara

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, it's important to remember the Wii isn't a normal PC or an FPGA, the fact that N64 emulation is as good as it is on the Wii is actually a triumph of software engineering on Nintendo's part and the passion of homebrew developers. The fact that both Nintendo and homebrew developers were able to accomplish decent emulation of the N64 on such weak hardware is nothing short of a miracle if we consider how long it took for decent PSX emualtion!

Never forget that that this hardware wasn't designed to emulate older games, it's simply a consequence that it kind of can play older 3D games, if emulation authors make it so!

EDIT: if anyone is confused about what I'm talking about, take every single accurate N64 emulation solution that exists right now and see if it runs on 2006 era PC hardware, which is basically what the Wii is stuck with. See how well games run on the hardware of that era!

Last edited by Disorarara,

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a link to this hack so I can see for myself? Either way it's not 3-point filtering. I believe extrems has talked about this in the past as to the difficulty in emulating accurate N64 bilinear filtering due to the way the rendering pipeline on the Wii works in regards to what you can do with how the final image is filtered. If even Nintendo's emulator which does many other effects like framebuffer effects doesn't accurately emulate the texture filtering, I'd say it's either hard or impossible with the Wii's hardware.

Direct .bps link: https://api.romhacking.com/game/Peach-s-Fury/Peachs Fury 1.1.bps

@Extrems
Is 3-point filtering actually raw rendering without any filter? It looks similar to how normal unfiltered PSX graphics look.

Reactions: SaulFabre

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When I am playing the mods "Super Mario 64 - Multiplayer" or "Super Mario Star Road", both great mods of Kaze Emanuar, the screen seems to be cut off a little on the top. This happens in the latest Wii64 (v1.3) and NOT64 (v 20231102), both give the same results, although all "original" games do not seem to have this issue. The games do not have this issue in Project64 either, playing in Windows. Did anyone notice this as well and is there a solution for this?

Attachments

• Super Mario Star Road New.jpg
    Super Mario Star Road New.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Super Mario 64 Multiplayer New.jpg
    Super Mario 64 Multiplayer New.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 16

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've been playing Not64 on my Wii this week, and I've noticed that sometimes it just refuses to boot after pressing "Load" on the Homebrew Menu.
It stays at a completely black screen, and only after pressing reset on the Wii I can come back to the Homebrew menu. Only after rebooting the Wii did Not64 boot normally, but this is something that happens often. Not sure why since all the other apps in it open up and run fine, it's only Not64 giving me this issue.
Anyone knows what might be happening?

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
I've been playing Not64 on my Wii this week, and I've noticed that sometimes it just refuses to boot after pressing "Load" on the Homebrew Menu.
It stays at a completely black screen, and only after pressing reset on the Wii I can come back to the Homebrew menu. Only after rebooting the Wii did Not64 boot normally, but this is something that happens often. Not sure why since all the other apps in it open up and run fine, it's only Not64 giving me this issue.
Anyone knows what might be happening?
Have you tried removing all arguments but ahb_access in the meta.xml file?

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Could you give me an example, please?
Sure.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<app version="1">
    <name>Not64</name>
    <author>Extrems</author>
    <version>2022-11-21</version>
    <release_date>20221121172252</release_date>
    <short_description>N64 Emulator for Wii</short_description>
    <ahb_access/>
</app>

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sure.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<app version="1">
    <name>Not64</name>
    <author>Extrems</author>
    <version>2022-11-21</version>
    <release_date>20221121172252</release_date>
    <short_description>N64 Emulator for Wii</short_description>
    <ahb_access/>
</app>

This is how the meta.xml file should look like after the change you recommend?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto