Not good at giving advice. What do you recommend?

placebooooo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

Im sure many of you remember me as the guy who posted the interview questions late October. I am still working on the research paper and it is turning out great!

So this is my situation:

Before becoming a freshman at my university, I was in high school (duh :P). I have a great reputation there, even now despite me having graduated. The most difficult class in high school for me and everyone was AP/IB Physics. This class was just outrageously awesome and extremely challenging. The Ib/AP senior students now taking that class have reached out to me on facebook asking for some deep advice. They always tell me how my AP Physics teacher boasts about my work ethic and how he has never met anyone as hardworking as me in his life. I told them I would attend the school on my thanksgiving break and talk to them personally rather than through facebook because I feel like it would be more "effective" I assume are the correct words.

My story is, me and my physics teacher hated each other so much at first. He is a Cold blooded, old Russian who never cracks a smile. But I was that one guy who made him crack it. I got off at a bad start with him, failed his first two tests too. He treated me like crap in a sense where he completely ignored me, until I was the only student who scored a perfect on his third exam. That is when he acknowledged me. I was one of 4 AP students out of about 20 IB students (he always saw ib students as somewhat better than AP). I proved him wrong. After he told me how he was honestly impressed, I just kept that drive to keep working no matter what. And in the end, it was him acknowledging me which kept me going and his non-direct support. That is where my part of my work ethic came from. I became his most recognized student.

These kids asking me for advice are Ib, so they don't have as much time as I did in high school because there classes are more intense. I had AP physics and AP calculus and other honors classes. So what I usually did was finish all my hw for my other classes and spend about 3-5 hours everyday on physics.

I want to try to say the right things to these seniors tomorrow, because they reached out to me more than once and I just don't want to go there and end up saying something that won't benefit them.

Any recommendations?

and thanks for reading the long post :P

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Its hard to say as I've no idea what ap and ib means in terms of your courses. But just tell them how you passed it and to find something that drives them and apply it to their studies.

Reactions: placebooooo

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
The Ib/AP senior students now taking that class have reached out to me on facebook asking for some deep advice.

Just tell them what you told us!

My story is, me and my physics teacher hated each other so much at first. He is a Cold blooded, old Russian who never cracks a smile. But I was that one guy who made him crack it. I got off at a bad start with him, failed his first two tests too. He treated me like crap in a sense where he completely ignored me, until I was the only student who scored a perfect on his third exam. That is when he acknowledged me. I was one of 4 AP students out of about 20 IB students (he always saw ib students as somewhat better than AP). I proved him wrong. After he told me how he was honestly impressed, I just kept that drive to keep working no matter what. And in the end, it was him acknowledging me which kept me going and his non-direct support. That is where my part of my work ethic came from. I became his most recognized student.

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Your story of thriving to succeed is good enough.
I can almost feel the struggle in your words.

As for me (in case you were interested), my drive was mostly perfectionism and the strong well to prove to everyone my superiority (practically, I was a maniac).
Now I'm a doctor!

Other achievements in that period of my life was losing half my weight, so you get how hard-headed I was.

EDIT: don't over-dramatize when you're telling your story as it'll instantly suggest you're overrated (that's how it goes in general, anyway).

Par39

The Life Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Sometimes, just telling your story is enough to inspire people. I have a person like that, without hearing his story I would never have gotten over the hard times I was going through a year ago as well as I have now. It still inspires me every time I hear it, even though I pretty much know it by heart now. "There is no better foundation than rock bottom" is one of his wise words that really have stuck with me through the year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)