Tutorial NOOB friendly guide to Downgrading your 3DS (From FW <10.7!!)

Didja downgrade successfully from 10.4/10.5/10.6 ?

• O3ds yes

Votes: 137 41.6%
  • O3ds no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • New 3DS yes

Votes: 128 38.9%
  • New 3DS no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • I'll wait until yls8/smea releases an entrypoint for me

Votes: 73 22.2%

• Total voters

adam1290

Trophies
XP
Country
Im currently running 10.6 on my N3DS thats never been modded. What are my options for downgrading to 9.2?

Ive been researching the matter for a few days as well as reading through every page of this thread but its a little overwhelming. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

I know I'm not in the best position to offer advice but as far as I can tell (I'm in the same position as you), the easiest would be to get Cubic Ninja but that is incredibly hard to find and stupidly expensive. Second option is to get Ocarina of Time 3D and possibly an Action Replay powersave, they are £13 on Amazon with next day delivery (if you have Prime). I have experience in installing rxtools though and that is straight forward you'll be glad to know, if that is your plan anyway!

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im currently running 10.6 on my N3DS thats never been modded. What are my options for downgrading to 9.2?

Ive been researching the matter for a few days as well as reading through every page of this thread but its a little overwhelming. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

And another. Noobs keep proving my point, lol. There's nothing in the noob guide stating exactly what is needed for a N3DS on 10.6/10.7 that has never been modded. The easiest answer to the question however, has been explained in the few posts before yours (and the one after I was ninja'd on, lol). You will need:

A friend with a 3DS that already has homebrew access OR a Datel Powersaves device for 3DS (costs roughly $20 USD)

AND

A copy of OoT for 3DS

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

Dayle Hall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And another. Noobs keep proving my point, lol. There's nothing in the noob guide stating exactly what is needed for a N3DS on 10.6/10.7 that has never been modded. The easiest answer to the question however, has been explained in the few posts before yours (and the one after I was ninja'd on, lol). You will need:

A friend with a 3DS that already has homebrew access OR a Datel Powersaves device for 3DS (costs roughly $20 USD)

AND

A copy of OoT for 3DS

So once i buy this Datel Power save thing and a copy of OoT this will give me an entry point? Is there likely to be a method in the near future that doesn't require anything else?

Last edited by Dayle Hall,

conradchee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Just buy o3dsXL about 5days.First day been update to 10+version,cause my friend always call me to update.Now still in 10.6version few day ago just know update firmware cannot install any backup apps.This make me feel sad,Im just a student save money and borrow some money from my friend to buy this 3ds.Want to downgrade but no choice if doesnt have any game name cubic or zelda.I search about so many website that price serious i couldnt handle.Powersave also so expensive,I cannot understand why a backup and cheating device can be so expensive?...I just want a device to put cartridge to backup only,for real I just want that hole to read save data only.That price really too expensive,so I have no choice all I can do just wait for latest browserhax to downgrade.I will pray everyday for wish came true

adam1290

Trophies
XP
Country
So once i buy this Datel Power save thing and a copy of OoT this will give me an entry point? Is there likely to be a method in the near future that doesn't require anything else?
I have just gone ahead and ordered a power save thing and OoT3D and will report back. I'll have them on Friday!

jhong24

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank You.. i've already downgrade my old regular 3ds 10.4 to 9.2 very smooth no hassle i'm using browserhax for entry point

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India

AND

A copy of OoT for 3DS
Okay man, looks like I'm gonna mention the OOT thing in the main post. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

x-skyber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I have successfully downgraded my n3ds. Sorry if I'm off topic, if my n3ds now have emunand with cfw. Can I use the same memory card my n3ds xl? Or do I have to do everything from scratch again?

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XD. Thank you, will do everything again. Is there any differences between 9.1 and 9.2? The package I'm installed named as 9.2 but it is actually 9.1 (JP N3DS) lol
No real difference that'll be problematic to you. It's like comparing 9.0 to 9.2. Practically the same thing. :P

LoveHina

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
NO HARDMOD IS REQUIRED. (But you can backup your NAND before downgrade as an extra precaution)
EDIT: SafeSysUpdater added only to check your downgrade files
EDIT2: A better proof video added.
EDIT3: This will also work on 10.7, but you will need OOT3Dhax or Ninjhax for that.

Aah, Nintendo patched memchunkhax again, but partially (again). So as expected, we can now again downgrade our consoles from 10.4/10.5/10.6/10.7 ( to 9.2. Yeah, No joke.
You can wait for yellows8 to release browserhax/menuhax if you're on 10.6/10.7, or you can proceed if you have 10.4/10.5 w/ Menuhax or 10.6/10.7 with Ninjhax/OOThax.

PLEASE USE THIS GUIDE IF YOU ARE ON 10.3 OR UNDER.

PLEASE NOTE: JP N3DS Users, you'll need to remove the 000400102002CA00 title in order to not get bricked! Also, remove any DNS which blocks updates, so that you can update if you softbrick.

I will not be responsible for any bricks, so proceed with caution. And remember, OLD 3DS and New 3DS have different downgrade packs, so always double check what you're downloading. Old 3DS Packs will work fine with 2DS.

You can't just use OOTHax with a copy of OOT.You will have to install OOTHax on it, with another entrypoint/another 3DS with Homebrew access/Datel Powersaves. Click here if you have a copy of OOT without homebrew.

Requirements:
-You console with FW 10.7/10.6/10.5/10.4

-Homebrew Entrypoint:
10.6/10.7: OOTHax or Ninjhax, cuz Menuhax and browserhax dont work (currently) on 10.6 or 10.7.
10.4/10.5: OOTHax, Ninjhax, or Menuhax. If you don't yet have menuhax, use the browserhax workaround to get browserhax for installing menuhax.

-SafeSysUpdater, to check your downgrade pack.

-The new sysUpdater for memchunkhax2.1 from here

-Your console's 9.2 downgrade pack from 'that iso site' [or 'that chaosful site'. Google this:
MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions) Cha0s Em3rald ]
If you think Google is failing you, we have DuckDuckGo, Yahoo, Bing (XD) , etc.

Dont use Old 3DS pack for a New 3DS, or a New 3DS pack for an Old 3DS/2DS.

-You are recommended to do a system format before downgrading, as it drastically reduces the chances of a brick. Also backup your SD Card, format it, then copy all files back. That would reduce brick chances too.

Instructions:
1. Put the sysUpdater.3dsx in /3ds/sysUpdater on your SD Card, and the SafeSysUpdater.3dsx in /3ds/SafeSysUpdater folder.
2. Put the downgrade pack cia files in /updates on your SD Card
3. Start homebrew using your entrypoint
4. Select SafeSysUpdater and press A to check the files. Don't press Y to downgrade, please don't.
5. Only if it says everything is good, exit back to The Homebrew Launcher, and start the sysUpdater.
6. Press Y to downgrade.
7. Wait
8. Boom! You downgraded your console from 10.7/10.6/10.5/10.4 to 9.2!
Now install CFW, and probably arm9loaderhax, and enjoy!

You can check whether you downgrade was complete or not, here.

Don't do any of this, or get a brick:
- Put your 3DS on Sleep Mode during the downgrade process
-Switch Off you 3DS during the downgrade process
-Use Old 3DS downgrade files for a
New 3DS or New 3DS downgrade files for an Old 3DS or 2DS
-Downgrade while your console's battery is low
-Or anything stupid which might interrupt the downgrade process

Proof that this works:

No sound in this one too, sorry.
I was using an EmuNAND 10.6. But no CIA manager, not even the earlier sysUpdater works on 10.6 Firmwares (through Homebrew Launcher, not CIA versions of them), cuz memchunkhax2 was patched. But now, this sysUpdater works, cuz memchunkhax2.1 :)

I successfully downgraded from a JPN N3DS 10.4 to 9.1 with 9.2 CIAs. I know it's very strange.
When I follow you guide, I can't get pass STEP 4 for checking JPN N3DS 9.2 CIA packs. It fails on 0004001000020900.cia. However, I downloaded and checked several times and MD5s. So I decided to downgrade.
Anyway, I succeeded. Thanks Salamencizer for your tutorial!

Castello

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
okay, here's my case (hope someone feels like helping me with it)
I have an O3ds (super beat up) with some purchased titles and some 1000hours+ save data (looking at you, MH4U)
I have recently acquired an american copy of Cubic Ninja and a N3ds (yet to be delivered, should be here tomorrow)
I'd like to system transfer before downgrading, is it necessary?
I'm only really worried about my save files, could I unlink my NNID from the O3ds and just link it to the N3ds without a system transfer (so I don't need to update the n3ds)
I have some experience with homebrewing back from the PSP and Wii days, but I have yet to tackle the 3DS.

I know it's hard to help before I know which version of SysNand the N3DS will have, but are there any options around this?
how much more risky is the downgrade process for the N3Ds? (I know it has been asked before, but these things are pricy down in South America, don't wanna end up hard bricking it)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D