No wii U dedicated emulators for wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Emulation & CEMU' started by xdarkmario, Sep 6, 2016.

1. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    I find it a bit odd that theirs no emulators for the Wii U homebrew channel yet. Is it a matter of priority or difficulty? i'd expect there to be a abundant of emulators for wii U as soon as we got a working homebrew channel (especially retroarch)

2. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    There's no IOSU exploit yet.
    Once IOSU exploit gets released, I expect there to be a bunch of emulators. (along with online piracy)

3. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    There are two Gameboy emulators and a chip 8 emulator for the wiiu so there are some emus available.

Last edited by Marko76, Sep 6, 2016
  4. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    im no pro with wii U programming but i wouldn't think it would need that much access. again i know nothing about the system but the 3ds didn't need much to get it running.

Sinon and rw-r-r_0644 like this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    There isn't even a homebrew channel for wii u yet. :P
    I hope so soon, using the internet browser to load the homebrew into mii maker it always removed after system shut off.

6. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    not a channel but it might as well be, it a homebrew menu

7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I know is not really the same but i kinda been messing around with the VC stuff. I suppose you can build like GBA roms to inject that supports multiple GBC roms. I been trying flashcart tiles to try and make the NDS VC load a flashcart type of thing to use NDS homebrew or just have switchable roms without having to inject multiple games. :P

Sadly i get bored easily and require breaks to get motivated to do more experimenting. I'll at least be happy if i could make a flash cart run on VC. I did dump my flashcart and actually loaded the VC emulator, exept the DS screens were blank so i feel i am close to doing it. :D

I could use the NES TO GBA to make GBA rom with buch of nes roms, but that is if i wanted too. I still wonder why no Sega, arcade or neo geo consoles have appeared in VC yet, it was on the vwii shop

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Sep 6, 2016
  8. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Can someone get the OP some IQ please?

9. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    its not for all that, you too grown to act like that.

10. vgmoose

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Emulators currently for Wii U:
    - CHIP8 Emulator: Thread by @rw-r-r_0644 (Source)
    - Gameboy: GBiine by @seagal112, and Gacubeboy by @brienj
    - NES: LiteNESU by @QuarkTheAwesome (Source) (needs HBL update)

Projects in development:
    - Retroarch port: URetro by @QuarkTheAwesome
    - TI83 Emulator: WabbitU by @vgmoose

Main blockers for emulators: (IMO, and excluding time)
    - Developer interest (there are about 10 developers making Homebrew actively)
    - Developer skill (sorry all :))
    - General attitude of community (see below)

Many of the above emulators are somewhat incomplete (missing sound, save states, polish). In particular, however, the open-source examples by @brienj, @QuarkTheAwesome, and @rw-r-r_0644 provide an excellent base/foundation at what the basics of an emulator should contain. If you know any developers who have experience with emulation, or interest to apply programming skills to emulation, please direct them to this community! The Wii U is ready and willing.

More on the above and some good resources/information on the situation:
    Read this thread

Especially this post:
    And this post:
    And probably this one too:
    Finally, on IOSU exploits, one is not required to improve the emulator scene. @QuarkTheAwesome already has a demo available for live sound generation, a feat that was not previously achieved on the Wii U (AFAIK). Using the techniques in the source for that project, the only thing stopping sound from being added to one of the above NES/GB emulators is a developer who is able to dedicate the time to so do.

</minirant> I hope this post serves as a helpful resource to those in the community, or those who want to join the community. :yayu:

Last edited by vgmoose, Sep 6, 2016
  11. Spidey_BR

Spidey_BR GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2008
    Brazil
    I think that since vWii already provide plethora of homebrews, something that would change this situation is the IOSU exploit and the availability of the gamepad screen as a innovation motivator.

12. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    its clear that the reason is lack of interest , but your post reminds me that its also through a lack of knowledge.

rw-r-r_0644 likes this.
  13. CJB100

CJB100 Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    I wouldn't say it's a lack of interest. It's more a lack of free time. Although enough interest would overcome a lack of time. Right now it's kinda like, well, we could do this, but why spend what little free time I have with this when there are more constructive things to do that have real life effects?

14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Funny thing is, we don't even need full iOSU access to get emulators up and running, we just need more people to hop on board and help out.

Given that there are emulators on the way, we need to be patient and supportive and help in any way we can.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Sep 6, 2016
  15. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    I don't think I'm supposed to feel bad for not really having anything better to do in my free time, and yet... F:

Stuff is being worked on; it takes time to get anything substantial working and emulation is a daunting task (I also want to do it right, making it even more daunting).

Even so; if public opinion is anything to go by it seems like y'all don't want emulators anyway and prefer my usual faffing about ;D (42% other, only 26% want a NES emu)
    (there's still 20 minutes left on that, vote fast!)

@vgmoose I'd say that 10 is a little generous, assuming we are counting homebrewers (and not game modders). I'd put it closer to 5 or 6 that are still active (and that's including brienj, who seems to have gone missing). I'm also not really working on URetro much anymore; cores are a royal pain.

EVERYBODY SING IT WITH ME!
    WEEE- DOOOOOOOOOON'T- NEEEEEEEEEED- I- I- I- I- I- I- O.S.UUuuuuUUUUUUuuuuuUU-
    FOR- HOOOMEBREEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwaH!

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome, Sep 6, 2016
    julialy, CJB100, rw-r-r_0644 and 4 others like this.
  16. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I still hope that....some emulators come to fruition when all is said and done, you know? The Wii U is definitely capable of fairly accurate emulation (as seen with the DS emulator, written by NERD, the people behind MobiClip, I believe).

17. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Don't worry, it'll happen. It's just a case of when? Dare I say it, but the answer lies in the community's hands. Gotta admit guys, you haven't exactly been good to your developers; just saying...

(the_randomiser i wasn't talking to you btw, don't worry, you're pretty cool)

18. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    No, I know you weren't, but you are right. What can we, a community, do to help things along, even if we aren't adept at programming? I want to do something, anything, to get things rolling along, you know? Ugh, I feel bad nevertheless.

19. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I can't learn code for shit. I'm sad. lol

CreeperMario likes this.
  20. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    While us programmers can handle coding, in order to create a good program, we will also need beta testers, graphic/interface designers and, in terms of games, ideas for actual game mechanics. Not sure about others, but I'm not the most creative person in the world.

Some of us devs have also been listening to the community, and (when I have time) I have offered to make a GamePad2PC sort of thing (like USendMii, but native) and an un-archiving utility (using the Wii U's built in zip utils)