Emulation No wii U dedicated emulators for wii U?

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it a bit odd that theirs no emulators for the Wii U homebrew channel yet. Is it a matter of priority or difficulty? i'd expect there to be a abundant of emulators for wii U as soon as we got a working homebrew channel (especially retroarch)

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find it a bit odd that theirs no emulators for the Wii U homebrew channel yet. Is it a matter of priority or difficulty? i'd expect there to be a abundant of emulators for wii U as soon as we got a working homebrew channel (especially retroarch)
There are two Gameboy emulators and a chip 8 emulator for the wiiu so there are some emus available.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no IOSU exploit yet.
Once IOSU exploit gets released, I expect there to be a bunch of emulators. (along with online piracy)
im no pro with wii U programming but i wouldn't think it would need that much access. again i know nothing about the system but the 3ds didn't need much to get it running.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know is not really the same but i kinda been messing around with the VC stuff. I suppose you can build like GBA roms to inject that supports multiple GBC roms. I been trying flashcart tiles to try and make the NDS VC load a flashcart type of thing to use NDS homebrew or just have switchable roms without having to inject multiple games. :P

Sadly i get bored easily and require breaks to get motivated to do more experimenting. I'll at least be happy if i could make a flash cart run on VC. I did dump my flashcart and actually loaded the VC emulator, exept the DS screens were blank so i feel i am close to doing it. :D

I could use the NES TO GBA to make GBA rom with buch of nes roms, but that is if i wanted too. I still wonder why no Sega, arcade or neo geo consoles have appeared in VC yet, it was on the vwii shop

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Emulators currently for Wii U:
- CHIP8 Emulator: Thread by @rw-r-r_0644 (Source)
- Gameboy: GBiine by @seagal112, and Gacubeboy by @brienj
- NES: LiteNESU by @QuarkTheAwesome (Source) (needs HBL update)

Projects in development:
- Retroarch port: URetro by @QuarkTheAwesome
- TI83 Emulator: WabbitU by @vgmoose

Main blockers for emulators: (IMO, and excluding time)
- Developer interest (there are about 10 developers making Homebrew actively)
- Developer skill (sorry all :))
- General attitude of community (see below)

Many of the above emulators are somewhat incomplete (missing sound, save states, polish). In particular, however, the open-source examples by @brienj, @QuarkTheAwesome, and @rw-r-r_0644 provide an excellent base/foundation at what the basics of an emulator should contain. If you know any developers who have experience with emulation, or interest to apply programming skills to emulation, please direct them to this community! The Wii U is ready and willing.

More on the above and some good resources/information on the situation:
Read this thread

Especially this post:
quarktheawesome said:
As an actual homebrew developer; I can give you some valid reasons. First, however, I'd like to point out the Chip8 emulator and the GameBoy emulator, both of which have been out for months. Go give their devs some love.
  1. A complete and utter lack of community support. "the wii u is dead; all the devs are useless; there's no homebrew; just move on" right before someone prints some colours to a screen and you're all over that for months, while I'm just left to my own devices in the background. You start to believe the stuff you're told, y'know. It's finally starting to collectively sink in to homebrewers, have you noticed it?
  2. The Wii U is a pain. That's why I love it. However, combined with point 1 it doesn't make for a compelling development system.
  3. The Exploit Shitshow. I hinted at this in point 1, but all this IOSU stuff is actually really annoying and we should all stop acting like its release will magically make all your dreams come true while simultaneously ignoring the dreams that have already been released. The devs keeping stuff private are only fuelling this fire. I understand there's a development cycle and a brick risk (and SALT is handling this excellently) but someone needs to change PR strategy, and the community sure isn't.
  4. The forum. There's a link in my signature to my attempt to fix this.
  5. Motivation/lack of interest/whatever. Partially my own fault, but also caused by the other points in combination.
  6. Sleep deprivation/possible depression. Completely my own fault. I'm working on it.
I'm no speaking for anyone else here, but I suspect they have similar issues too (maybe not that last one). Well, I hope that gives you some "valid" reasons; and hopefully you can realise that it's a number of factors contributing to stagnant development rather than being lazy.

And this post:
shinyquagsire23 said:
To be honest the only reason emulators would even be maybe iffy without IOSU is lack of a proper codegen area, although I believe that is set up by PPC kernel anyhow, so provided the right patches I don't see why it wouldn't be possible? But for the most part the lack of emulators likes somewhere between lack of interest and (in my opinion) the massive amount of bloat the GX2 examples have, and just the quirkiness of the .elf running environment. I had to do quite a bit of work just to get myself a basic 2D sample which didn't have tons of C++ layers on top of it.

And probably this one too:
vgmoose said:
I haven't the foggiest idea how 1. sound is generated on a computer, 2. sound is emulated, 3. the sound libraries on the Wii U work. I am not exaggerating when I say I know as much about how implementing sound would work as you do. :(

We're truly suffering from a lack of developers here. A generous estimate puts us as 10 active developers. This is likely due to the very attitude that you're presenting here. If spirits were higher, we'd have more developers-- and maybe one of them would know something about sound!

http://devkitpro.org/wiki/Getting_Started/devkitPPC

Anyone can set this up by downloading the devkitppc files for your OS, downloading dimok's portlibs and libogc folders and putting them in the devkitpro folder. Then that person can use @brienj's HBL chip8 emulator frame as a base to port whatever emulator their heart desires. There are no dragons here.

Finally, on IOSU exploits, one is not required to improve the emulator scene. @QuarkTheAwesome already has a demo available for live sound generation, a feat that was not previously achieved on the Wii U (AFAIK). Using the techniques in the source for that project, the only thing stopping sound from being added to one of the above NES/GB emulators is a developer who is able to dedicate the time to so do.

</minirant> I hope this post serves as a helpful resource to those in the community, or those who want to join the community. :yayu:

Last edited by vgmoose,

Spidey_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think that since vWii already provide plethora of homebrews, something that would change this situation is the IOSU exploit and the availability of the gamepad screen as a innovation motivator.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
I think that since vWii already provide plethora of homebrews, something that would change this situation is the IOSU exploit and the availability of the gamepad screen as a innovation motivator.

its clear that the reason is lack of interest , but your post reminds me that its also through a lack of knowledge.

Reactions: rw-r-r_0644

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its clear that the reason is lack of interest , but your post reminds me that its also through a lack of knowledge.

I wouldn't say it's a lack of interest. It's more a lack of free time. Although enough interest would overcome a lack of time. Right now it's kinda like, well, we could do this, but why spend what little free time I have with this when there are more constructive things to do that have real life effects?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing is, we don't even need full iOSU access to get emulators up and running, we just need more people to hop on board and help out.

Given that there are emulators on the way, we need to be patient and supportive and help in any way we can.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think I'm supposed to feel bad for not really having anything better to do in my free time, and yet... F:

Stuff is being worked on; it takes time to get anything substantial working and emulation is a daunting task (I also want to do it right, making it even more daunting).

Even so; if public opinion is anything to go by it seems like y'all don't want emulators anyway and prefer my usual faffing about ;D (42% other, only 26% want a NES emu)
Failed to fetch tweet 770511458153091072
(there's still 20 minutes left on that, vote fast!)

@vgmoose I'd say that 10 is a little generous, assuming we are counting homebrewers (and not game modders). I'd put it closer to 5 or 6 that are still active (and that's including brienj, who seems to have gone missing). I'm also not really working on URetro much anymore; cores are a royal pain.

EVERYBODY SING IT WITH ME!
WEEE- DOOOOOOOOOON'T- NEEEEEEEEEED- I- I- I- I- I- I- O.S.UUuuuuUUUUUUuuuuuUU-
FOR- HOOOMEBREEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwaH!

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I'm supposed to feel bad for not really having anything better to do in my free time, and yet... F:

Stuff is being worked on; it takes time to get anything substantial working and emulation is a daunting task (I also want to do it right, making it even more daunting).

Even so; if public opinion is anything to go by it seems like y'all don't want emulators anyway and prefer my usual faffing about ;D (42% other, only 26% want a NES emu)
(there's still 20 minutes left on that, vote fast!)

@vgmoose I'd say that 10 is a little generous, assuming we are counting homebrewers (and not game modders). I'd put it closer to 5 or 6 that are still active (and that's including brienj, who seems to have gone missing). I'm also not really working on URetro much anymore; cores are a royal pain.

EVERYBODY SING IT WITH ME!
WEEE- DOOOOOOOOOON'T- NEEEEEEEEEED- I- I- I- I- I- I- O.S.UUuuuuUUUUUUuuuuuUU-
FOR- HOOOMEBREEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwaH!

I still hope that....some emulators come to fruition when all is said and done, you know? The Wii U is definitely capable of fairly accurate emulation (as seen with the DS emulator, written by NERD, the people behind MobiClip, I believe).

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I still hope that....some emulators come to fruition when all is said and done, you know? The Wii U is definitely capable of fairly accurate emulation (as seen with the DS emulator, written by NERD, the people behind MobiClip, I believe).
Don't worry, it'll happen. It's just a case of when? Dare I say it, but the answer lies in the community's hands. Gotta admit guys, you haven't exactly been good to your developers; just saying...

(the_randomiser i wasn't talking to you btw, don't worry, you're pretty cool)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry, it'll happen. It's just a case of when? Dare I say it, but the answer lies in the community's hands. Gotta admit guys, you haven't exactly been good to your developers; just saying...

(the_randomiser i wasn't talking to you btw, don't worry, you're pretty cool)

No, I know you weren't, but you are right. What can we, a community, do to help things along, even if we aren't adept at programming? I want to do something, anything, to get things rolling along, you know? Ugh, I feel bad nevertheless.

D

Deleted User

What can we, a community, do to help things along, even if we aren't adept at programming? I want to do something, anything, to get things rolling along, you know?
While us programmers can handle coding, in order to create a good program, we will also need beta testers, graphic/interface designers and, in terms of games, ideas for actual game mechanics. Not sure about others, but I'm not the most creative person in the world.

Some of us devs have also been listening to the community, and (when I have time) I have offered to make a GamePad2PC sort of thing (like USendMii, but native) and an un-archiving utility (using the Wii U's built in zip utils)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: