Official [PoC/Release] Live Sound Synthesis

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by QuarkTheAwesome, Sep 5, 2016.

1. QuarkTheAwesome
    OP

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Hi all!

Just a bit of a proof of concept; it's live sound synthesis on the Wii U!

This program actually generates all the sounds it makes on the fly. Previous stuff on the Wii U played audio files (mp3s and things) but here I've shown that you can also generate these sounds as you go. It uses kbd.rpl for USB keyboard support (thanks @rw-r-r_0644 for making this possible!)

Download
    Download from HBAS, or have a direct link here
    Source

This app has only been tested on 5.5.1. It needs sndcore2 (although this could be changed) so you're going to need a fairly recent FW to make this work.

Usage
    Once the app starts up, connect a USB keyboard and start playing! The middle row of keys (asdfghjkl) are your white notes; some of the upper row (wetyuop) are your black notes. Z and X control the octave of the notes and C changes the waveform (sine, square, sawtooth or triangle). HOME on the gamepad quits; don't press A! ;)

So... Why should we care?
    It's pretty simple, actually - we can add sound to emulators using the techniques in this program. Generating the waveforms of a retro console no longer requires messing with audio files; you can just make it as you go!

Anyway, have fun! I'm pretty tired while writing this, so I'm sure I've missed something. Feel free to ask!

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome, Sep 10, 2016 - Reason: musical notes are gender-neutral; how dare you reference them as male, I'm triggered
  2. rw-r-r_0644

rw-r-r_0644 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Italy
    Really nice work :)
    Works fine for me

3. TrulyMadlyDeeply

TrulyMadlyDeeply Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2016
    Canada
    Atlantic Ocean
    Nice work! Thanks for this release :)

CreeperMario likes this.
  4. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    It's awesome, ever since Wii hbc I wanted an app that make sounds on the fly, I envisioned for example the app detecting the different angles and position of the Wiimote to generate different sounds :3

It works with the console midi synthtizer?

CreeperMario and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  5. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Good job Quark! Keep it up!

CreeperMario likes this.
  6. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    Excellent work as always qta .. made a basic meta and icon and is now on the appstore. Thanks..

7. QuarkTheAwesome
    OP

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Nope, all done through software. If you take a peek here you can find the algorithms I use to do that.
    I'm not sure if the Wii U even has a MIDI synth; I know it can take MIDI inputs (although the SDK pretty flatly says that you shouldn't) but I've got no idea if it can generate its own noises in hardware. Hm...

OriginalHamster and pwsincd like this.
  8. vgmoose

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Thanks for this, I played what can technically be considered a rendition of Ode to Joy. And I agree, @rw-r-r_0644 is also awesome.

CreeperMario likes this.