OP
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hi all!

Just a bit of a proof of concept; it's live sound synthesis on the Wii U!

This program actually generates all the sounds it makes on the fly. Previous stuff on the Wii U played audio files (mp3s and things) but here I've shown that you can also generate these sounds as you go. It uses kbd.rpl for USB keyboard support (thanks @rw-r-r_0644 for making this possible!)

Download
Download from HBAS, or have a direct link here
Source

This app has only been tested on 5.5.1. It needs sndcore2 (although this could be changed) so you're going to need a fairly recent FW to make this work.

Usage
Once the app starts up, connect a USB keyboard and start playing! The middle row of keys (asdfghjkl) are your white notes; some of the upper row (wetyuop) are your black notes. Z and X control the octave of the notes and C changes the waveform (sine, square, sawtooth or triangle). HOME on the gamepad quits; don't press A! ;)

So... Why should we care?
It's pretty simple, actually - we can add sound to emulators using the techniques in this program. Generating the waveforms of a retro console no longer requires messing with audio files; you can just make it as you go!

Anyway, have fun! I'm pretty tired while writing this, so I'm sure I've missed something. Feel free to ask!

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome, , Reason: musical notes are gender-neutral; how dare you reference them as male, I'm triggered

QuarkTheAwesome

🦊
OP
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
It works with the console midi synthtizer?
Nope, all done through software. If you take a peek here you can find the algorithms I use to do that.
I'm not sure if the Wii U even has a MIDI synth; I know it can take MIDI inputs (although the SDK pretty flatly says that you shouldn't) but I've got no idea if it can generate its own noises in hardware. Hm...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse