Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
People fail to realize that cod isn't supposed to be a good looking game

reading between the lines of what bowling said, he's basically saying / admitting that they dnt really give 2 shits about the looks, all they care for is the gameplay, and despite the flaws the game has (tactically) no one doubt that CoD is heaps of fun for the average FPS'er and not to mention heaven for the hardcore FPS players

The CoD people like the feeling of the game, the movement, the quickness so to say - changing the engine will ruin all that feeling we have has since cod4

End of Story.

(no fanboyism intended, just stating my side)

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The CoD4 engine was a slight improvement over the CoD2 engine. But hardly much changed. CoD2 was the main game-changer for the CoD series in terms of graphics. CoD1 was based off the Unreal 2.5 engine which was great back in the day.

Maz7006 said:
People fail to realize that cod isn't supposed to be a good looking game
The CoD people like the feeling of the game, the movement, the quickness so to say - changing the engine will ruin all that feeling we have has since cod4
(no fanboyism intended, just stating my side)

Changing the engine doesn't mean the feel must be taken away. But the graphics could do with a much better and more efficient overhaul. There shouldn't be much of a performance hit when going from CoD4 to CoD 6/7, yet it still occurs. It would be great if the physics engine could be overhauled GREATLY.

I'm disappointed that they won't update their engine, it's been going on in different iterations since '05. Think about it. (Effectively the CoD4 engine was a slight overhaul of the CoD2 engine. Only lighting and smoke effects were upgraded.)

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Martin and a couple others had it right, you realize that games no matter how long it's been since the last couple develop and entirely new engine, (already been mentioned) Battlefield 3 boasts an updated version of the Frostbite engine, Valve games (HL2, CSS, TF2, L4D2, etc) run on updated versions of the Source engine, thus Call of Duty runs on a new version (updated, modified, etc) of the IW engine.
When new games come out the developers don't always go ahead and build up a completely new engine for the game to use, heck how many games these days are running on butchered Unreal 3 engines?

Call of Duty games each release have stunning graphics and performance, and the only instance I can see where you'd have horrid graphics if A, you were on a console or B, limiting them on a bad PC. Performance wise, a big reason why graphical detail is limited on a console (other than it not being able to hand it well) is the fact that they need to balance it to get that nice 60fps, although it's starting to show in Black Ops that the console isn't able to keep up as much.

Gman 101 said:
The CoD4 engine was a slight improvement over the CoD2 engine. But hardly much changed. CoD2 was the main game-changer for the CoD series in terms of graphics. CoD1 was based off the Unreal 2.5 engine which was great back in the day.

Changing the engine doesn't mean the feel must be taken away. But the graphics could do with a much better and more efficient overhaul. There shouldn't be much of a performance hit when going from CoD4 to CoD 6/7, yet it still occurs. It would be great if the physics engine could be overhauled GREATLY.

I'm disappointed that they won't update their engine, it's been going on in different iterations since '05. Think about it. (Effectively the CoD4 engine was a slight overhaul of the CoD2 engine. Only lighting and smoke effects were upgraded.)

You have to be absolutely shitting me, first of all CoD 1 didn't touch the Unreal 2.5 engine it ran on the id Tech 3 Engine. As well as that, CoD4's version of the IW Engine was completely modified from CoD2, there was much more upgraded then just the lighting and smoke. The Call of Duty engine (IW Engine) has even been called one of this generations greatest engines.

deka01

Trophies
XP
Country
You guys do know that a new engine is made only once ever 5+years right. And even then all they do is pretty much remove a whole lot of crap they don't want, keep the stuff that still works and rewrite the rest.

Kaimu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I guess they're gonna release the new engine just when the new generation console comes out.
Besides, I don't think they need a new engine. They just need to improve their engine like polishing their engine, fixing bug, etc.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Kaimu said:
I guess they're gonna release the new engine just when the new generation console comes out.
Besides, I don't think they need a new engine. They just need to improve their engine like polishing their engine, fixing bug, etc.

This, just polish it more and make some aspects a little bit better and I'm satisfied. Better cheating protection also is a must.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's okay you can go out with rez all you want