No new engine for Call of Duty

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Whereas Battlefield 3 boasts a new engine that gamers are raving about, Call of Duty has made do with a modified, ageing IW engine - version 4.0 was used for Modern Warfare 2.

So what about this autumn's Call of Duty game? Has Infinity Ward - rumoured to be co-developing with Sledgehammer - gone back to the engine drawing board?

Doesn't sound like it.

"That would be counter productive," tweeted IW community man Robert Bowling. "An engine takes years and years to develop and get right."

In March 2010, Infinity Ward was torn by the sacking of studio bosses Jason West and Vince Zampella. Their departure leached ranks of loyal staff. But Bowling stayed put, tweeting that, "I work at Infinity Ward and plan to remain here. We've got a great team and working on a great project."

When Activision will lift the lid on this autumn's big new Call of Duty game is unknown. Is a summer reveal at E3 too far away?
[/p]

Source

(Insert sarcastic comment about Call of Duty here, there's just too many to say).

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C'mon, even Dynasty Warriors changes it's engine up every few iterations.

Either way, I probably won't play CoD again until they make a new WWII title.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Of course if they want to shit a Call of Duty game every five minutes they won't have time to make a new engine.

darkreaperofdrea

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
but this has nothing to do with treyarch...does it?
anywho they should let black ops sell a bit more,fucking game came out in september or something like that,they should let 1 more year to release whatever is coming out(MW3 anyone)
it's Infinity Ward,so it's gonna be cool
smile.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
darkreaperofdreams said:
anywho they should let black ops sell a bit more,fucking game came out in september or something like that,they should let 1 more year to release whatever is coming out(MW3 anyone)
smile.gif

Try November.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkreaperofdreams said:
smile.gif

It'll be November since every CoD game for a while used to be out in November I'm rather sure.

But really, I always thought Treyarch did a better job. I mean the series itself is rather average but at least Treyarch made the game somewhat enjoyable. Like Zombies for instance. CoD Zombies is actually a rather enjoyable zombie game in itself. If they sold that for like $15 on XBLA I'd snatch it. And they made Black Ops have some other small quirks in it that made it better than the "URRRGGGH GRUFF AND SERIOUS" CoD6. Basically on a scale of mediocrity, I'd put Black Ops and CoD5 on the high end of mediocrity.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
darkreaperofdreams said:
if they doing it on purpose,i hope MW gets to be a separate franchise,and releases a game every 2-3 years(much like Halo series)

And yet people still say Halo is being milked to death, some even say its milked more than CoD...

darkreaperofdrea

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
as far as i know they don't make a new game every november do they?
it's just CoD fanboys who say that
i'm no Halo fanboy,don't like the series,but just sayin' there ain't like 10 Halo's

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
soo they're not making a new engine . . .
battlefield 3 doesn't have a new engine .
just upgrades the one from 1.5 [Bad Company 2] to 2.0 [Battlefield 3 now] .

no new engine , alright .
unless the game doesn't come with anything special on release date , i won't even bother .

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
soo they're not making a new engine . . .
battlefield 3 doesn't have a new engine .
just upgrades the one from 1.5 [Bad Company 2] to 2.0 [Battlefield 3 now] .

no new engine , alright .
unless the game doesn't come with anything special on release date , i won't even bother .
Wait they're using the Bad Company engine and not the Battlefield engine!? *sigh* Well, so much for me buying Battlefield 3.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Well, I guess it's better than the "modified World at War engine" Treyarch used with Black Ops. Not only did it look like a clone of the Infinity Ward engine with bad texture quality and rendering, but it also boasted some of the worst quality frame rate I've ever seen in a Call of Duty title on the PS3.

On the topic of the Battlefield 3 engine, the game looks absolutely gorgeous running on it, as seen in the trailers. Even if it was just some tweaking of an old engine, its effects can be seen, at least to my eyes. Can't wait for the game to come out.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Wait they're using the Bad Company engine and not the Battlefield engine!? *sigh* Well, so much for me buying Battlefield 3.
They're using the Frostbite Engine that has been in-use in most of their Battlefield games since the original Bad Company was released.

Bad Company, 1943, BC2, MoH, BC2:Vietnam, and Battlefield 3 all use it.

The original Bad Company ran off Frostbite 1.0. Bad Company 2 runs off of Frostbite 1.5. Battlefield 3 is going to run off of Frostbite 2.0.

Frostbite is quite an impressive engine, really.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a game company's worst nightmare. Why not IMPROVE the game that's raking you the most money? Don't be lazy bums, DO SOMETHING NEW.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Slyakin said:
This is a game company's worst nightmare. Why not IMPROVE the game that's raking you the most money? Don't be lazy bums, DO SOMETHING NEW.

Uh.. you do realize this is Activision you're talking about right? "New" is not in their vocabulary.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I had already heard in a few places that they were just going to use the MW2 engine again, and that the next CoD game is for sure not going to be MW3. It will be a spin off of a spin off basically as far as story is concerned. As far as Activision is concerned, it's just more money from people that haven't learned that Activision is just in it for all of the money they can make off of a half assed game.

I want something like CoD4 again. That was truly, truly fun. The veteran difficulty though was actually so difficult, you actually had to use enemy detection glitches in missions like One Shot, One Kill, otherwise there was no way to win.

The MW2 engine is just a buggy piece of shit. I'm not all that surprised though looking at who is running the show.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-