Nintndo's First Ever 3DS DLC Hits Japan

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait for the KingVamp/FireGrey brigade to stumble upon this gem. I'm sure we'll get many memorable quotes.
Alright captain of the Guild/1player/yomee brigade, where is your usual over negative paragraph towards any and every Nintendo topic while trying to give 1ups to Sony at?
Make one and then we will get started.

:3 :P

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait for the KingVamp/FireGrey brigade to stumble upon this gem. I'm sure we'll get many memorable quotes.
Alright captain of the Guild/1player/yomee brigade, where is your usual over negative paragraph towards any and every Nintendo topic while trying to give 1ups to Sony at?
Make one and then we will get started.

:3 :P

I just wanted to see your explanation as to how this DLC is justifiable when Nintendo made a big deal about only making "meaningful DLC".

And for the record I've been giving more 1ups to Microsoft than Sony recently.

Reactions: 2 people

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States

Or at least a headache worth of facepalms.
Can't wait for the Guild/Foxi brigade to stumble upon this gem. I'm sure we'll get ignorant posts and Valwin bashing.

Reactions: 3 people

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
unbranded-bullshit-stamp.jpg

You dun goofed, Nintendo.

Oh well. Maybe their DLC for actual games will be a bit better

Reactions: 1 person

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't forget this app costs 600¥ to begin with. That's already about $8 thrown out of the window. How would you even make meaningful DLC for such a program?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And for the record I've been giving more 1ups to Microsoft than Sony recently.
I haven't seen much directly towards them vs Sony from you .
I just wanted to see your explanation as to how this DLC is justifiable when Nintendo made a big deal about only making "meaningful DLC".
How 'bout this
(They kinda beat me to it)
While this seems rather lackluster for us in the west, but in Japan there is a huge market for those pictures booth things in Japan called purikura. This seems like something that would only do well in Japan and likely with young females.

Oh well. Maybe their DLC for actual games will be a bit better

Maybe that "meaningful DLC" was only towards games and this dlc is meaningful to some people.

When I first read dlc in the title I thought it meant for a game in the first place.
I believe this dlc would most likely not even make itself outside of Japan.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe that "meaningful DLC" was only towards games and this dlc is meaningful to some people.

So "meaningful" is relative and trashy DLC everyone complains about is still "meaningful" because some people want it?

Oh I love relativity. It's the only thing that can make a house into a walrus (inside joke that Gahars may eventually pick up on).

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't forget that this is a new concept to Nintendo. I think they are just testing the waters to see how it works, work out installation kinks, that kind of stuff. They don't want to screw up as they have haven't really done this before.

D

Deleted_171835

Don't forget that this is a new concept to Nintendo. I think they are just testing the waters to see how it works, work out installation kinks, that kind of stuff. They don't want to screw up as they have haven't really done this before.
Picross 3D and WarioWare D.I.Y. both had real DLC before so this isn't exactly the first time they've done this. There's practically nothing to "work out".

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Picross 3D and WarioWare D.I.Y. both had real DLC before so this isn't exactly the first time they've done this. There's practically nothing to "work out".
3Ds and Ds-i are very different systems, the DS and DSi games were already on the cartridges, and were unlocked by connecting to the internet. The fact that the DLC is in full 3D means rather big files (eventually), screw ups and there are always bugs.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Nope, they didn't. They just had hidden content in game that could be unlocked by connecting to the internet. Same thing with Layton. No DS game had access to writeable storage. True DLC was impossible.

D

Deleted_171835

3Ds and Ds-i are very different systems. The fact that the DLC is in full 3D means rather big files (eventually), screw ups and there are always bugs.
That doesn't make any difference.

Also Picross 3D. The 3D should be a hint.

Nope, they didn't. They just had hidden content in game that could be unlocked by connecting to the internet. Same thing with Layton. No DS game had access to writeable storage. True DLC was impossible.
Actually they did. With WarioWare D.I.Y, you could download content that other users had created. None of that was on the cart itself.

Reactions: 2 people

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep, the 3Ds DLC saves to the sytem itself.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Actually they did. With WarioWare D.I.Y, you could download content that other users had created. None of that was on the cart itself.
... For the DLC to work they needed to make a different cart so it can store it on.
But I don't see how this is relevant - it's not on a normal cart, devs would have to go out of their way to get DLC to work and it would actually cost them more money, you're just making Nintendo look even more silly.

What I was lol'ing about in the OP is that Nintendo is trying to make a decent DLC system on the 3DS and they go and do this..

D

Deleted_171835

... For the DLC to work they needed to make a different cart so it can store it on.
But I don't see how this is relevant - it's not on a normal cart, devs would have to go out of their way to get DLC to work and it would actually cost them more money, you're just making Nintendo look even more silly.
That's not really the point. It's just that Nintendo has technically done DLC before and that this isn't the first time they've done it.

And when I quoted Zerosuit connor, I was talking about the fact that he said they released this to work out the kinks. Not whether this was the first time they've done DLC.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
That's not really the point. It's just that Nintendo has technically done DLC before and that this isn't the first time they've done it.

And when I quoted Zerosuit connor, I was talking about the fact that he said they released this to work out the kinks. Not whether this was the first time they've done DLC.
This is the FIRST time they have done actual 3Ds DLC from the Eshop. It is different to the ingame stuff that you are talking about. In fact it is a COMPLETLY different concept, it has to save to the system, interact with a games save files and load with the booting of a cartridge. This is why Nintendo is taking small steps! You learn to crawl before you walk. Obviously some people still need to learn to crawl :rolleyes:

D

Deleted_171835

This is the FIRST time they have done actual 3Ds DLC from the Eshop. It is different to the ingame stuff that you are talking about. In fact it is a COMPLETLY different concept, it has to save to the system, interact with a games save files and load with the booting of a cartridge. This is why Nintendo is taking small steps! You learn to crawl before you walk. Obviously some people still need to learn to crawl :rolleyes:
You're acting like this is some kind of big step for Nintendo. They already had the DLC system in place back when they did the update in December. There is absolutely nothing for them to work out anymore. Oh and this is an eShop game. Everything is loading off the SD card, no "interaction" with the cartridge like you're saying.

Do you want to know why they released this?
It wasn't to work out anything.
It was to make money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show