News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
QUOTE said:
Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed that Nintendo is working on a new home console (Wii 2), and that it will not support 3D because people simply don't like wearing glasses to view 3D effects. The key quote from Reggie is this - "We've not said publicly what the next thing for us will be in the home console space, but based on what we've learned on 3-D, likely, that won't be it." Clearly, Nintendo has figured out what the USP of the Wii 2 will be internally, but will make the public wait to find out what that is.

There has been much speculation about a Wii 2 and quesitons at Nintendo has already made plans for one. This as good as confirms it.

Moreover, Reggie's reference to the next home console may well suggest that is closer than we all think!

Source

ThePorks

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think we will see Wii2 until at least the end of 2013 though. Also, we could see a lot of current 3D tv's becoming old rope very quickly thanks to the innovation of the glasses free 3DS screen. I read somewhere that all the major TV manufacturers R&D departments are frantically trying to become the first to make and release a glasses free 3D TV. Perhaps then would be the right time to release the Wii 2?

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't care much for 3d anyways. Dont have a 3D tv and dont plan on getting one anytime soon. Ive played some PS3 game on a 3d tv and it was very lackluster to say the least, nothing like how impressed i was with the 3d on the 3ds.

I can't wait for a codename for the system so we can stop calling it Wii 2 as it will likely not be called that.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
... K so all I got from this is that unless the 3D TV market ups the ante significantly, the next Nintendo console won't have 3D capabilities. Doesn't bother me.

Nintendo working on their next product shouldn't be a shocker to anyone unless you have absolutely no knowledge of how product development works. They gave no dates or time frame, so the article suggesting it may be "closer than we all think!" is just blowing smoke.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here's WHAT I THINK IT WILL HAPPEN......

The #1 innovation of the Wii2 will be the ability to wireless connect the 3DS to the Wii2 and use the 3DS as a controller and the 3DS top screen to display 3D Wii2 games without glasses !
Nintendo thinks 3D glasses stink.
But they like 3D, as Myamoto stated several times that stereoscopic 3D can actually improve the gameplay experience.

2+2 makes 4, so expect to play 3D Wii2 games remotely on the 3DS ! Of course on the regular TV it will be just plain old 720p.

Remember , when this will become a reality you can say you heard it here first !

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
It's official -- We are NEVER getting The Last Story.
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't think we will ever see a "Wii2". Nintendo will make a new home console, and it'll be it's own thing. Like how the Wii wasn't a GameCube2. Nintendo likes backwards compatibility though so I'd expect some kind of ability to play Wii games (maybe GC games still too since it is a disc system) and the ability to sync with Wiimotes, but again, I'd expect in the same way that you can use GC controllers with the Wii, only with the older games so I'd expect new controllers too. I don't think it'll just be a new Wii, it'll be a whole new system.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Its not a confirmation of Wii2 and the lack of 3D was obvious when they threw quick jabs at sony for using glasses. This only confirms the obvious, Nintendo will make another console in the future. We all knew that and it doesn't mean its coming soon.

MDFang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nintendo Wii 2?
Oh god, shitstorm incoming.

Welp, haters gonna hate. I've never owned a Wii, but it seems pretty decent..

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
MDFang said:
Nintendo Wii 2?

Welp, haters gonna hate. I've never owned a Wii, but it seems pretty decent..
It's, there are some great games there for game lovers. Of course, because it's popular, it's full of crap, just like the DS.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
MDFang said:
Nintendo Wii 2?
Don't get fooled by that, people just call it Wii 2 because it's Nintendo's next home console. It can be totally different to the actual Wii.

RisnDevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of Wii 2, why not Super Wii? Or Super Wii Turbo (SWiiT)?

And I agree with the idea of wireless, high speed data transfer to the 3DS for 3D games. That could also open SO MANY possibilities/options for multi player.

I mean, wouldn't it be interesting/cool if the SWiiT was almost like a wireless/NAS game server pushing out all sorts of games and content to the 3DS, but with its own catalog of stuff to be played on the system?

Just a thought though (and I think I am so going to keep calling it SWiiT, or maybe just Super Wii).

edit: typo

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
I hope it's not called Wii 2. I don't want Nintendo pulling a Sony for the rest of their home console manufacturing.

Anyway, as long as we see some great first party titles, I'm all for it. I could care less about HD, because I mean, it's Nintendo we're talking about. Mario, Sonic, etc. in HD would look preeeeeeetty weird. Then again, an HD Zelda game would be amazing.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) I hope it's not another Wii. While I loved the Wii... I want/expect something completely new.
2) I could careless about 3D on a home console.
3) Wii 2 is obviously just a code name.

There's no way it will be announced this E3. Probably E3 of 2012.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.