Nintendo's next-generation console is codenamed 'NX'

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, knowing Alpha Sin he's probably like "oh noes Nintendo is fucking going third party" and "Nintendo's doing what-the-fuck-ever without even consulting their fans". Typical Alpha Sin.

As someone who actually watched the video before casting judgement: No. No he doesn't.

At no point does he accuse Nintendo of "going third party". The only time "third party" is even mentioned is when he discusses Nintendo's current situation in the console market where other (third party) companies have largely abandoned the Nintendo platforms involving things like cross-platform game releases. What he does discuss about Nintendo going to multiple systems is a casual optimism about how Nintendo will have a larger market to reach with a veriety of new devices to take advantage of. Nothing about them going SEGA, though.

The video also focuses on Nintendo as a business, and not as a fan service platform. I don't know why this is so hard to understand, but not every news service has to delve deeply into what the fans want, or having the company consult what they want, expect, and demand from them. Whatever the case, the fans wern't even mentioned once during the video. It wasn't about the fans, as it was purely about Nintendo's business decisions, as well as some thoughts as to what could have inspired those decisions and what they could mean for the future of the business.

Way to make rash judgements on something you refuse to even see for yourself since it has the potential to be something you disagree with, though. Typical fanatic brand loyalty.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird that his video kind of went in that direction, when AlphaSin is correcting people in the comments.

Anyway, I can see them going into VR/AR or set-top box.

BAMvsGAME

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh noes not another coffee shop mess nintendo cooked up... although I will be extremely happy if it's a solution to bring more compatibility between the handheld & home consoles. we haven't had a product for that since the gamecube gba player.

aenoch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no, now we'll have to buy iPhones to fully play our 3DS and Wii U games. It's bad enough I have to clutter my house with an otherwise useless Link amiibo to unlock all the Hyrule Warriors weapons.
I've been saying Nintendo needs to take a look back at the N64 and GC days. The Mobile Adapter GB wasn't what I had in mind.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about the new system. I personally think the Wii U is a great console but needs better games (like N64 and GC had) and addons that actually enhance gaming experience like the Transfer Pak instead of addons that that unlock disc locked content like amiibo and iPhones.

Pro Controller is a traditional controller, GamePad is just a Pro Controller with a touchscreen so I don't understand what you mean.

Give me link amibo please. I like nintendo. Because its the first game syatem i played and the zelda series. Is my fav. Of all time. But i get more into other game systems because of games like skyrim etc which reminds me some what of oot. I skiped the ds for the psp but was able to play ds zelda on my tablet. Skipped the gamecube for the orginal xbox. And got a wii. For wii zelda and gamecube zelda. And i got a 360 instead of a wiiu (costs to much) now ive just gotten a 3ds xl for oot and majoras mask plus the new pokemon games. Id pick nintendo every time. If they continued to make the same games plus be able to play current gen (other company games) how bad ass would zelda look if it looked like skyrim or xbone ps4 graphics

D

Deleted User

oh noes not another coffee shop mess nintendo cooked up... although I will be extremely happy if it's a solution to bring more compatibility between the handheld & home consoles. we haven't had a product for that since the gamecube gba player.
Problem is largely to do with the wireless technology I think. Wii U can't use WiFi while connected to a 3DS unless you have the USB network adapter, it's more designed for short connectivity sessions like copying custom Smash characters or playing a local match with your friend who has 3DS Smash Bros while you have no spare controllers.
Then again, GC to GBA adapter was mostly used the same way.

If we want another Pokémon Stadium though, some sort of USB Transfer Pak will be mandatory to avoid some of the limitations that PBR had.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So basically, you're saying that the fans buy stuff they don't want? :wacko:

Source, please? Preferably a source other than "I pulled it out of my arse". It certainly is NOWHERE in the OP.

So this doom & gloom you're predicting is the way to go?

If you need proof of this, look around you.

Look at Microsoft, look at Sony. Even Adobe switched from one time paid software, to monthly subscription services. It not only is more affordable and let's you have a much bigger share of the market, but it also increases your revenue.

If you haven't realized this by now, then you should look around a bit.

As for mobile gaming, that's the way forward wether you like it or not. Most people and casual gamers will not buy a dedicated system such as the Nintendo 3Ds or a Vita. They will want the games on their everyday devices: Phones and Tablets. Nintendo has realized this.

A lot of people seem to dislike my posts because, more often than not, they represent the cold hard truth. I was bombarded with hate last year when I proposed this would happen very soon.

Look where we are now.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
As someone who actually watched the video before casting judgement: No. No he doesn't.

At no point does he accuse Nintendo of "going third party". The only time "third party" is even mentioned is when he discusses Nintendo's current situation in the console market where other (third party) companies have largely abandoned the Nintendo platforms involving things like cross-platform game releases. What he does discuss about Nintendo going to multiple systems is a casual optimism about how Nintendo will have a larger market to reach with a veriety of new devices to take advantage of. Nothing about them going SEGA, though.

The video also focuses on Nintendo as a business, and not as a fan service platform. I don't know why this is so hard to understand, but not every news service has to delve deeply into what the fans want, or having the company consult what they want, expect, and demand from them. Whatever the case, the fans wern't even mentioned once during the video. It wasn't about the fans, as it was purely about Nintendo's business decisions, as well as some thoughts as to what could have inspired those decisions and what they could mean for the future of the business.

Way to make rash judgements on something you refuse to even see for yourself since it has the potential to be something you disagree with, though. Typical fanatic brand loyalty.
Nope, that's just the type of videos he makes about whatever article he comments on. I don't want to listen to some bearded guy constantly cursing and thinking that it'll make his nostalgic company go to shit.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even Adobe switched from one time paid software, to monthly subscription services.

I have no desire to wade in on the discussion at hand but I do have to jump in and say Adobe might have theoretically a one shot and done affair, however for how hard they pushed their updates for people that truly used their software they might as well have been a biannual subscription service.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you need proof of this, look around you.

Look at Microsoft, look at Sony. Even Adobe switched from one time paid software, to monthly subscription services. It not only is more affordable and let's you have a much bigger share of the market, but it also increases your revenue.

If you haven't realized this by now, then you should look around a bit.

As for mobile gaming, that's the way forward wether you like it or not. Most people and casual gamers will not buy a dedicated system such as the Nintendo 3Ds or a Vita. They will want the games on their everyday devices: Phones and Tablets. Nintendo has realized this.

A lot of people seem to dislike my posts because, more often than not, they represent the cold hard truth. I was bombarded with hate last year when I proposed this would happen very soon.

Look where we are now.
Keep things in perspective, will you? Those monthly subscription services you're talking about are about business appliances, and only work if your company is large enough to sustain the continuous level of support that is needed. I'm skeptical as to whether it actually INCREASES the market share (adobe and microsoft weren't exactly small before going this route), and the increase in revenue is actually harder to predict (it depends on how long everyone keeps leasing these products).

The subscription model for games (PS+) works very different and relies on both a steady stream of smaller appliances and/or features otherwise hidden behind a paywall. If YOU haven't realised this, perhaps you should do that "look around"-thingy you use to fend off giving a proper response.

As to mobile gaming: when the 3DS was about to be launched, I remember Iwata saying that apple was their biggest competitor in that field (not sony). I thought he was nuts at that time, but it wasn't far from the truth. Nintendo obviously knows that's what people WANT, but that doesn't mean they can use that in a way they make a profit (people like nintendo products because they're quality. Quality costs money. The apple and google apps cost barely anything in that regard).

If you want to represent the cold hard truth, be my guest and represent it. If you went the same the same approach as in this post, I'd say they hated you for it because your arguments flat out suck. Everyone can claim anything and say "if you don't believe me, just look around" without using any source that actually indicates anything worth a damn.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Keep things in perspective, will you? Those monthly subscription services you're talking about are about business appliances, and only work if your company is large enough to sustain the continuous level of support that is needed. I'm skeptical as to whether it actually INCREASES the market share (adobe and microsoft weren't exactly small before going this route), and the increase in revenue is actually harder to predict (it depends on how long everyone keeps leasing these products).

The subscription model for games (PS+) works very different and relies on both a steady stream of smaller appliances and/or features otherwise hidden behind a paywall. If YOU haven't realised this, perhaps you should do that "look around"-thingy you use to fend off giving a proper response.

As to mobile gaming: when the 3DS was about to be launched, I remember Iwata saying that apple was their biggest competitor in that field (not sony). I thought he was nuts at that time, but it wasn't far from the truth. Nintendo obviously knows that's what people WANT, but that doesn't mean they can use that in a way they make a profit (people like nintendo products because they're quality. Quality costs money. The apple and google apps cost barely anything in that regard).

If you want to represent the cold hard truth, be my guest and represent it. If you went the same the same approach as in this post, I'd say they hated you for it because your arguments flat out suck. Everyone can claim anything and say "if you don't believe me, just look around" without using any source that actually indicates anything worth a damn.

First of all, rude.

Second of all, you may not like it and you have your freedom to do so. However don't blame me for you denial. I said this would happen quite some time ago and it did, in fact, happen. I don't think an argument can be sucky when it became true after all.

You can try to fend me off any way you want, that fact will not change. What I do NOT understand, is how most people consider this to be a bad thing. Are people really that affraid of change? Dear god.

What the hell does it matter if you play Zelda on a Nintendo 3DS or on a phone? It's still Zelda.

To wrap this up, and regardless of why companies are switching to monhtly paid subscription services, fact of the matter, is that they are doing it. If you want cold hard paper sheets showing how much money they made before this new model, and nowadays, then dig them up yourself. I don't need confirmation on this, is just freaking common sense.

EDIT: Also I forgot to explain my point of view. It is really not that hard to realize the difference in how monthly subscriptions are generally, beneficial.

For instance in Adobe's case, you can either pay 1000$ for Photoshop, which many people will not dish out because they dont want to or because they cannot afford it, OR, you can pay less than 20$ a month for the same service.

In other words, I do not believe this newer model did not increase their sales exponentially. In fact, they wouldn't have changed the way they worked, if it didn't.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
First of all, your opinion (of which I think you have against anyone who disagrees with you, so I don't feel offended).

Second of all, welcome to forums. The thread would be equally long, if not longer, if the news said that nintendo was NOT working on a new console. Probably with the same participants as nay-sayers.

You've chosen a bad example for a mobile game. The Zelda games that used the touchscreen for controls (phantom hourglass, spirit tracks) were considered the worst ones. And the "it's still Zelda" certainly doesn't hold up if you bring the CD-i into things.

Again: your common sense fails to address the fact that those subscription based programs are business-related. Here's a story from my days: one of our employees had us order some fancy-ass graphic program (it wasn't photoshop, but something similar). As is usual, it went through all stages of purchases because "he really needed it for his work". Despite already working fine without it for years. So the moment it came through (in a fine case and with a color manual of over 200 pages), we immediately warned the guy. Alas, he was 'busy', so we couldn't install it that day. He'd get back to us. After a few days, we sent him a reminder mail. Then called again the next week. And so on for nearly a month. You see where this is going? It's business logic. Since it's not your own money you're spending, there is no reason to hold back. The guy most likely wanted to put knowledge of that program on his resume, and his boss probably just had to spend his budget (or else he would have gotten a smaller budget the next year). It's about prestige and power. If nothing else, it showed that guy what he could get away with in the company (it wouldn't surprise me if he asked for a raise that same month). By the time it was found out that the program wasn't really needed to begin with, management was too embarrassed to admit it.
Now compare that to a subscription based service. Not only is the initial cost much lower so it can be granted to the entire department aside from "that guy" who complains the hardest, there is actual reason to check who actually USES the stuff on a monthly basis. And cancel it out on 'those guys' who just wanted it on their resume.
You can believe they changed their model to increase sales, and I won't contest that...but I was talking about actual profits on their end. If you sell your stuff for 1/50th of the price, you need to sell 50 times as much...on a monthly basis. What you're leaving out of the equation is the fact that there are now plenty of much cheaper or even free alternatives available.

D

Deleted User

BTW, EBGames Australia is already taking preorders. I wouldn't get hopes up but it could be a sign Nintendo has provided a 2016 launch window to a few companies.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
BTW, EBGames Australia is already taking preorders. I wouldn't get hopes up but it could be a sign Nintendo has provided a 2016 launch window to a few companies.

If enough people were speculating on the second coming of Jezus Christ, online stores would sell preorders on visiting tickets. Meaning: that "it could be a sign" has a probability in the area of everyone winning the lottery at the same time. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy