Nintendo's next-generation console is codenamed 'NX'

D

Deleted User

I dont think its a handheld. The New 3DS just came out so it will be at least another 2 years before it starts to slowly fizzle out like the original DS. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt the DSi around for a long time before the 3DS was released?

I do think its a home console based on the word choice Iwata used. I believe Nintendo knows they screwed up with the Wii (games and hardware wise) and the Wii U (games, hardware and in sales) and I think they are going to make a no nonsense console that is at LEAST a little more powerfull than the PS4.

Am I a bit bummed they're seemingly giving up on Wii U already? Yeah kind of, I only bought mine last year. I hope Zelda U is amazing because it seems like the last big game for the poor thing (I think Miyamoto or someone said there wont be any more Mario for 2015 and that the next big installment will not be on Wii U)
However, I do feel very satisfied with my purchase. Despite there only being like 8 or 10 worthwhile games, Ive played my Wii U 99x more than my PS4. (Honestly, there aren't that many games on PS4, and the ones it has either suck or are available on last gen systems with pretty much the same graphics. So much for being "So Powerful") Every 1st party game I played on my Wii U was exceptionally good, had fantastic graphics(Mario Kart 8 in particular), was a lot of fun to play with friends, had amazing replay value and overall great gameplay. Plus, the VC and Wii backwards compatibility complete with homebrew made it so I could play tons of other games too.

So yeah, bummed the Wii U is pretty much dead but Im optimistic for Nintendos future.

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
HOW TO MAKE A NINTENDO CONSOLE!
-Add a gimmick (Such as Wii remote or Wii U gamepad or 3D)
-Make it underpowered to its competitors
-Crap 3rd party support
-The same 10 somewhat decent 1st party games (Such as Mario, Zelda)
-Shitton of party games just for you when you're living alone in your room
-Shovelware
-Region lock
-Discontinue
-Repeat

stussy1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think its a handheld. The New 3DS just came out so it will be at least another 2 years before it starts to slowly fizzle out like the original DS. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt the DSi around for a long time before the 3DS was released?

I do think its a home console based on the word choice Iwata used. I believe Nintendo knows they screwed up with the Wii (games and hardware wise) and the Wii U (games, hardware and in sales) and I think they are going to make a no nonsense console that is at LEAST a little more powerfull than the PS4.

Am I a bit bummed they're seemingly giving up on Wii U already? Yeah kind of, I only bought mine last year. I hope Zelda U is amazing because it seems like the last big game for the poor thing (I think Miyamoto or someone said there wont be any more Mario for 2015 and that the next big installment will not be on Wii U)
However, I do feel very satisfied with my purchase. Despite there only being like 8 or 10 worthwhile games, Ive played my Wii U 99x more than my PS4. (Honestly, there aren't that many games on PS4, and the ones it has either suck or are available on last gen systems with pretty much the same graphics. So much for being "So Powerful") Every 1st party game I played on my Wii U was exceptionally good, had fantastic graphics(Mario Kart 8 in particular), was a lot of fun to play with friends, had amazing replay value and overall great gameplay. Plus, the VC and Wii backwards compatibility complete with homebrew made it so I could play tons of other games too.

So yeah, bummed the Wii U is pretty much dead but Im optimistic for Nintendos future.

Same graphics last gen and new gen you can't be serious
I can tell you I have been playing a lot of advance warfare on my xbox one
Online then lizard squad hacked online so started to play online on the
Xbox 360 and I can tell you there is a huge leap with graphics feals like I went
From Xbox 360 down to the original Xbox as for ps4 the ps3 had a few years more
But Sony released the ps4 early I would say to keep up with Microsoft but like I said
The graphics was a giant leap when you compare it

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
4K is still expensive even by PC standards, and Nintendo has never been ahead of the curve in terms of hardware specs. They're always behind Sony and Microsoft, who in turn are always behind gaming PC specs for their consoles.

I think the smart bet is what some other people have been saying here: a touchscreen console that will include some exclusives and be able to run all the games that Nintendo will be releasing for other touchscreen devices as well.

Really might want to check your facts a bit. N64 was a powerhouse for its generation, Gamecube was inbetween ps2 and xbox in graphics capability. That saying 4K won't happen with Nintendo, unless this NX isn't a console, so they have another 3/4 years and 4K TV's really pick up, maybe by then.

low-fat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Anecdotal evidence, but all my friends have been using the Wii U this generation. These same friends had not owned a Nintendo system since the SNES days.
I only know two people who own a xbox one or PS4. It seems like consoles are just not doing all that well this generation in general. I personally don't think Nintendo considers the Wii U a lost cause at this point in time since it's just starting to kick into gear.

Keep in mine the DSi came out in 2009 and the first rumors of the 3ds came out in late 2009 and early 2010. This seems about the right time to start hearing about the 3ds successor. I estimate that we should hear more about the NX in 2016 and a release sometime later 2016 early 2017.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There lays the possibility that the fusion is actually the Nintendo Cross (Thus the NX code name). Combining the New 3DS hardware and Wii U hardware (minus the disc drive of course). By doing so they eliminate the need for a next gen portable, edit: at this current time.

The system would then possibly be able to stream wireless to the TV or through a HDMI port.
Or no TV connectivity at all and Nintendo releases a Wii-u without the disc drive. This doesn't mean Wii-U titles suddenly become digital only. Nintendo could allow game cards of larger store and release a Wii-U with the disc drive dropped in favor of a game card slot.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow the Nintendo haters have come out strong to feed in this thread. You'd think they'd been waiting their entire life just to bash Nintendo in this topic or something.

You have been here since 2009 and posting throughout a lot of that and this is the first thread you have seen people here take Nintendo to task?

Reactions: MrJason005

Oak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feeling their smartphone games will be like the mini games we see on New Super Mario DS. They will attract new customers to their actual gaming hardware (ie WiiU, 3DS, future consoles.)

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VR is a thing now. It wouldn't be ahead of its time, it'd be with the times. This one could work. Better. Stronger. Faster. We can rebuild it, we have the technolgy.

virtual boy was behind it's time, it shouldnt even be counted it was just an experiment no LCD's just red led lights
i was honestly waiting for nintendo to make a VR device since the release of N64
maybe they have been working on one almost that long in secret, though i doubt it
id like to see a VR/AR system like the hololens
if N could cheaply build their own proprietary technology for the VB all those years ago , they could build their own proprietary display technology now to go inside a small lightweight non obtrusive VR/AR system something totally different and revolutionary made with their own custom designed displays and not off the shelf tech retrofitted to the application like other seem to be doing

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Really might want to check your facts a bit. N64 was a powerhouse for its generation, Gamecube was inbetween ps2 and xbox in graphics capability. That saying 4K won't happen with Nintendo, unless this NX isn't a console, so they have another 3/4 years and 4K TV's really pick up, maybe by then.
The N64 had components that were more powerful than the PS1, yet very few N64 games displayed at the same resolution as PS1 games, and so PS1 games almost always looked better. Clinging to cartridges was the biggest drawback in that regard. The Gamecube was fine, but again, it just didn't get many titles that looked as good as what the PS2 had to offer. GC is also where Nintendo started falling way behind in internet connectivity.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The N64 had components that were more powerful than the PS1, yet very few N64 games displayed at the same resolution as PS1 games, and so PS1 games almost always looked better. Clinging to cartridges was the biggest drawback in that regard. The Gamecube was fine, but again, it just didn't get many titles that looked as good as what the PS2 had to offer. GC is also where Nintendo started falling way behind in internet connectivity.

Actually, both consoles had mostly 320 x 240 resolution, very few PSX games were 480i/p, and the N64 version of Resident Evil 2 is the superior version graphically speaking at 640 x 480. The PS2 was far weaker than the Gamecube, I don't know where you get the impression that games looked better on the PS2 what with the weaker GPU and all. Oh and fun fact, Factor 5 wrote their own code to push 20,000,000 polygons/sec with lighting and textures at 60 fps in their games on Gamecube as well as writing microcode that pushed beyond the polygonal limits of some PSX games, so please, don't assume the GCN was weaker, same with N64.

Graphically speaking, the PS2 may have had 25-30 million polygons/sec but this is before texture and lighting/shadow is applied, these are raw Gourad-shaded polygons with no textures or lighting. In-game, they rarely exceeded 10-15 mil, it that. Gamecube had typically higher in-game polygon count than PS2 games on average. Resident Evil 4, Splinter Cell trilogy and Metroid Prime 2 are all good examples that the PS2 had the weakest hardware. Unless you have proof to the contrary, PS2 was the weakest and the N64 spanked the PSX in power.

Reactions: heartgold

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Because Sony and Microsoft have never made mistakes with their consoles.
PC 4 lyfe. Especially in console transitional periods like the one we're in currently, the PC offers the largest library of enjoyable games. Not to mention I've been playing "next-gen" (DX11) games for like 4-5 years now while everybody else has had to wait for M$ and $ony to decide they were finally done selling DLC and overpriced games for the X360 and PS3.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC 4 lyfe. Especially in console transitional periods like the one we're in currently, the PC offers the largest library of enjoyable games. Not to mention I've been playing "next-gen" (DX11) games for like 4-5 years now while everybody else has had to wait for M$ and $ony to decide they were finally done selling DLC and overpriced games for the X360 and PS3.

Whatevs. Also, replied to that silly assumption that PS2 games looked better than Gamecube games, they don't.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Whatevs. Also, replied to that silly assumption that PS2 games looked better than Gamecube games, they don't.
I think they do, even to this day. I'll grant you Metroid Prime, which looked amazing, but in general the Gamecube didn't have the necessary third-party support to really show off what it could do like the the PS2 did.

I mean, I can give you just two titles to shut this whole argument down: Shadow of the Colossus and Okami. Closest the Gamecube gets is Metroid Prime and Mario Sunshine, and they just aren't quite up to that level.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they do, even to this day. I'll grant you Metroid Prime, which looked amazing, but in general the Gamecube didn't have the necessary third-party support to really show off what it could do like the the PS2 did.

Wrong, the PS2 didn't have a high in-game poly count when all textures, lighting, etc were applied to the polygons. Resident Evil 4 slaughters the PS2 port, I wish people didn't believe it had better looking games or higher poly count.

http://www.purevideogames.net/blog/?tag=xbox-vs-gcn

Trevor Belmont

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already working on another system? They need to learn to get what's already out situated. wtf!
Then they wonder why nobody buys their shit for like a year, cause something else is already on the way!

Who the f's at the wheel...? haha

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: some db videogames