Hacking Nintendont

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If Wii games have a Home Menu why can't Nintendont?
Because Nintendont enters GC mode and Nintendont is not a full Wii emulator, I can be sure of that.
Granted, it "emulates" some things like controller input and other stuff, but the game loader itself is an interpreter, not an emulator.

When it enters GC mode, you lose some of the permissions the Wii has, like the Home Menu and its options.

I might just be throwing random shit at the air, but @FIX94 might give a better explanation to this instead of noobish words like mine. :P

RFVasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When it enters GC mode, you lose some of the permissions the Wii has, like the Home Menu and its options.
please stop talking about things you dont know, it hurts my eyes. There is NO GC mode at all, also there is NO normal wii home menu, every single wii game has its own implementation of the wii menu. Also to the people who say BS like nintendont is an interpreter, it would be terrible if that were the case, most hardware devices still exist on wii so nintendont just redirects the game to those to be used normally and the one which dont exist (like the audio ram and the disc drive) get emulated.

Troopage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) What advatages does Swiss have over the already widescreen patches?
Most of the patches implemented in Nintendont for Widescreen were done by hardcoding Cheat Codes for the games.
It appears that Swiss' widescreen patches has non-stretched sprites and text.
Reference: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/page-1275#post-5375062
Speaking of which, I'm sorry if this seems like pestering, but @FIX94 might want to take at the source for Swiss before the Google Code shutdown, if he hasn't already: https://code.google.com/p/swiss-gc/source/browse/
2) My guess is that you mean Aspect ratio setting ON THE FLY... with the toggle of a button?
Nah, I meant a setting like Wii U widescreen that switches from 4:3 to 16:11.2. GC and Nintendont render games in 16:11.2. This was because CRT TVs stretch the image so it would look correct afterwards.
3) More? I think this app covers the most popular and most demanded controllers out there. Third party support would be a pain in the ass.
Yeah, Idk. I'm writing down other people's wishes too. Someone wanted wired Xbox 360 controller support and another person wanted Dualshock 2.
4) Scratch this one too.
I added the question mark because I'd like to see an alternative if it couldn't be done. I'll fix it so it's better. :P
please stop talking about things you dont know, it hurts my eyes. There is NO GC mode at all, also there is NO normal wii home menu, every single wii game has its own implementation of the wii menu. Also to the people who say BS like nintendont is an interpreter, it would be terrible if that were the case, most hardware devices still exist on wii so nintendont just redirects the game to those to be used normally and the one which dont exist (like the audio ram and the disc drive) get emulated.
Neat, thanks for the quick lesson!
Nintendont Wishlist
  • Swiss' widescreen sprite patching
  • 4:3/16:9 aspect ratio setting
  • More controller and adapter support
  • Home menu or alternative
  • Ability to take screenshots and record video

Nintendont Pipe Dreams
  • Better framerate in some parts of some games
  • N64 support (New app)
  • FIFO dumping

Strikethrough shows something shot down by a dev.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought you can use a Dual Shock 2 as long as you have the PS2 Controller adapter for the PS3. The one that converts the PSX/PS2 controller into a USB one. If this hasn't been done, I have one of those fancy adapters and a PSX/PS2 controller.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
could you at least make it so you have to hold the home button for 5 seconds to return to loader? so if you hit the home button instead of start accidentally you won't return to loader.

RFVasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
apps on usb only appear when you dont have an SD card inserted just click it off and you will see the apps on usb devices.

Download the latest version manually from the OP.
That should be good enough.

Thanks both of you, I managed to update using the wii after all and, appearently, the freezing got fixed, at least I got to beat the game and got past the part where it was freezing, twice, actually.

Now, if someone could help with another thing. More than once, I think about three times, when I was playing Luigi's Mansion, I got the message "An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions." Am I correct to assume that this is caused by a bad connection of my external HD, thus leading the Wii to assume that it got removed, like if I had removed the disc?

Reactions: ShadowOne333

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
This is what I thought, I mean if it really enters GC mode then how can it return to regular loaders without hard reset? And more importantly how can it run on Wii U when it has no GC mode?

As for Wii Menu I always assumed it was coded within each game, I mean when I inject Roms into VC wads I have to re-edit stuff related to the Wii Menu like the instructions, which can be a chore, so I assumed it was coded for each game as well, thanks for confirming this.

Reactions: Troopage

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what I thought, I mean if it really enters GC mode then how can it return to regular loaders without hard reset? And more importantly how can it run on Wii U when it has no GC mode?

As for Wii Menu I always assumed it was coded within each game, I mean when I inject Roms into VC wads I have to re-edit stuff related to the Wii Menu like the instructions, which can be a chore, so I assumed it was coded for each game as well, thanks for confirming this.

There is no "Gamecube mode." Nintendont does the same thing the Wii's built in MIOS does. It slows down the processor and redirects the calls to the Gamecube's hardware addresses to the equivalent on the Wii. The only difference is that Nintendont doesn't require the disc and doesn't have to be installed as an IOS.

MSR914

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says i have to disable the AHBProt from Nintendont but i have no clue what that is...my homebrew is on firmware 1.1.0 i think, its been a while since i have touched it but i really want to play gamecube games...help please!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am also on the regular wii as well

Valkerion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there been an update that killed X-Men Legends? it freezes near the opening for me, using the "newest" version from the menu updater and wii u btw.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there been an update that killed X-Men Legends? it freezes near the opening for me, using the "newest" version from the menu updater and wii u btw.
The best way to check if your error is user generated is to test the version that is marked working on the compatibility list

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks both of you, I managed to update using the wii after all and, appearently, the freezing got fixed, at least I got to beat the game and got past the part where it was freezing, twice, actually.

Now, if someone could help with another thing. More than once, I think about three times, when I was playing Luigi's Mansion, I got the message "An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions." Am I correct to assume that this is caused by a bad connection of my external HD, thus leading the Wii to assume that it got removed, like if I had removed the disc?
yeah an error has ocurred is when a game looses contact with the media device, but on the newest build that shouldnt happen unless your hdd is actualy dying.
There is no "Gamecube mode." Nintendont does the same thing the Wii's built in MIOS does. It slows down the processor and redirects the calls to the Gamecube's hardware addresses to the equivalent on the Wii. The only difference is that Nintendont doesn't require the disc and doesn't have to be installed as an IOS.
this is totaly false, nintendont doesnt mess with any hardware we use everything the wii has as his, tahts why some games runned too fast becuase the processor is the wii processor and fix has to find timers and adjust the game processor calculations to the new wii calculations.

It says i have to disable the AHBProt from Nintendont but i have no clue what that is...my homebrew is on firmware 1.1.0 i think, its been a while since i have touched it but i really want to play gamecube games...help please!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am also on the regular wii as well
you need the xml file aswhell not only the boot.dol

i hate when people say newest and latest version, just say the version number even the last page someone has having issues becuase he said he had the latest version but he didnt he had the latest one from google code not from when it passed to github the latest is 344 check your number on top of nintendont, Also check to see if you have a good dump(md5 checked) and what forced settings you are using.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
by dying you mean it's getting corrupted by bad blocks?
couldn't just be a deffective cable or case, cause I checked my HD for bad blocks and it was clean.
by dying i mean its connection keeps dropping it could be a bad cable that is worn out, i had one cable that made my sd card reader constantly loose connection with the pc and gaining it back switched the cable and all went well.

RFVasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
by dying i mean its connection keeps dropping it could be a bad cable that is worn out, i had one cable that made my sd card reader constantly loose connection with the pc and gaining it back switched the cable and all went well.
oh, phew, got woried for a moment. I'll buy another cable/case tomorrow then. Thanks for all the help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love...