Hacking Nintendont

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to draw this out any further but i'm pretty sure the original dev for DML was crediar (that guy who sold it to Godlike) because he became disillusioned that all his time and effort for making DML was for nothing. After selling it he gradually saw the interests in it and began coding for it again.

googled and found this:
found it here - https://gbatemp.net/threads/dios-mios-lite.307341/ under the spoiler.
sk0ld said:
Well, nice job guys. I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't surprised at how quickly g0dlike has recouped what he had spent on saving DML.. I can say with certainty that you have surprised crediar.

Now for a little back-story. I've gotten to know crediar fairly well, since even before the SNEEK beta, and we've spoken a number of times on this particular topic. It's fair to say that he had become disillusioned with the fact that all the time and hard work he was putting into these projects was for absolutely nothing. I certainly can't blame him for feeling this way, and neither should any of you.

So, a few months ago when crediar had decided to sell his work on DML, I could tell instantly that he at least somewhat regretted having had to make that decision. This became more and more evident with all of the guidance he had given to WiiPower in these recent months.
Now, let this in no way impugn the work WiiPower has done on the open source, however the fact remains, (and WiiPower has stated himself) that it was in fact crediar who has been the one providing the real meat to any of these advancements, and wants to continue his work on what should still be considered to be his project.

Reactions: KiiWii and niuus

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
@sonictopfan I said he created it to showcase that GameCube games could be run on the Wii U and you said "Not true" and then said the exact same thing I said.

The article I read was titled something like "GameCube games can be run on Wii U" or something like that. It then went on showcasing Wind Waker being played on a Wii U using a Dual Shock 3 controller. It then mentioned @crediar as the creator.
I didn't say the same thing, Crediar didn't create it as a proof of concept he actually planned on releasing it, following what Tuedge did for Devolution but due to him being busy on other projects (I heard he was hired or something, plus he was working on SNEEK mode for the Wii U at the time) he posted the source code online for those who were interested in continuing the project.

It's worth mentioning when Nintendo said Gamecube cannot work on Wii U they meant two things, A, there's no Mios on Wii U, and B, the Wii U is not powerful enough to emulate the Gamecube (it can hardly emulate N64 and NDS) so technically they didn't lie about that (Sony on the other hand lied a lot before about backwards compatibility as hackers managed to prove their lies before), what Nintendont does is run Gamecube games on Wii mode with some tweaks rather than emulate them, there's noway Nintendo would go all the effort of making such a software for a couple of Gamecube VC titles...

Which begs the question, why don't they already buy Nintendont and use it instead? Many companies does that, I remember when SEGA bought JenisesDS and used it for Sonic Classic Collection, Nintendo could benefit a lot from Nintendont, just look how many people hacked their consoles solely to use this app alone.

Not to draw this out any further but i'm pretty sure the original dev for DML was crediar (that guy who sold it to Godlike) because he became disillusioned that all his time and effort for making DML was for nothing. After selling it he gradually saw the interests in it and began coding for it again.
That's interesting, I had no idea, I wonder though why would he sell it to G0dlike then go back and work on it? I know he and G0dlike had some differences but I don't think he'd lie about owning it if he didn't.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@sonictopfan The GameCube, Wii and Wii U all use the PowerPC CPU so there is no emulation needed, unlike the N64 to Wii or NDS. The Wii U is basically a more powerful Wii which is basically a more powerful GameCube. There really is no excuse for Nintendo not to add GameCube VC on the Wii U. They would make tons more money considering how popular the GameCube still is. The only things that Nintendont has to emulate is the hardware that the Wii U doesn't have like Memory Card ports or GameCube controller ports. The stuff that is the most intensive to emulate, like the CPU doesn't have to be.

It was obvious the Nintendo had no more interest in letting GameCube games run on the Wii and later the Wii U since the later Wii models had no GameCube stuff even though they could still run GameCube games perfectly as the only things missing were the GameCube ports and the mini-DVD capable drive.

MIOS is just the GameCube OS sandbox like vWii but for GameCube stuff. Nintendo could have called it vGC Mode too.

I think that Nintendo should really consider the fact that they could be making so much more money on the Wii U given the popularity of Nintendont. With Nintendont, they make nothing. With the decline of the Wii U Nintendo really needs something to get people to buy more Wii U's and I think adding GameCube VC games could be just what Nintendo needs to sell more Wii U's. The cost involved adding GameCube games to the Wii U is nothing compared to what they would get in return. They would be able to sell games that would cost them nothing to put out since they are already done and own the licenses to.

In my opinion the GameCube was Nintendo's best console. It had a huge library of great games. My GameCube collection, as small as it is, is still bigger than my Wii and Wii U collections. I think we can all agree that Nintendo's best Smash Bros. was Melee considering it is still the most sold game of a Nintendo console of any generation.

Reactions: sj33 and niuus

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo is making money re-releasing Gamecube games with updated textures and gamepad support. I can understad them not want not wanting them to release gamecube games on the VC only to decide they would like to remake the game in HD. It hurts a little, but I admit I would be happy to wait for HD remakes of Sunshine or Luigi's Mansion.

But release the serial games to the VC, like Mario Party, Mario Kart, or Smash Bros. Make sure they have support for the Gamecube controller adapter.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is making money re-releasing Gamecube games with updated textures and gamepad support. I can understad them not want not wanting them to release gamecube games on the VC only to decide they would like to remake the game in HD. It hurts a little, but I admit I would be happy to wait for HD remakes of Sunshine or Luigi's Mansion.

But release the serial games to the VC, like Mario Party, Mario Kart, or Smash Bros. Make sure they have support for the Gamecube controller adapter.
There are 2 sides to HD Remakes. Some people may prefer the original and some may prefer the HD Remake. The big issue with the Wii U HD Remakes is that the game is not completely the same as the GameCube version.

Let's take Wind Waker HD as an example. There are HUGE differences in the actual gameplay in the HD Remake which make the game significantly easier to play as they removed some of the quests and added the swift sail as well as giving you more film in the camera, giving you the color camera much earlier in the HD remake and they also now let you know if a picture is good enough for entry to get you the statue for it.. The only thing they really had to change was the Tingle Tuner since there is no GBA support and leave the rest the same. That I can understand but the other stuff takes away from the original game. I never played the original Wind Waker so I was excited to play it for the first time on the Wii U. After playing the Wii U version a bit I decided to try out the GameCube version only to see the HUGE differences in the game.

There is a definitely a market for both the original and the HD remake. It would be completely different if the HD remake was just that, the original game with better textures like Halo CE: Anniversary but their HD remakes aren't like that. There may even be people like me who would buy both the original GameCube VC version AND the HD remake when they have big differences in the actual gameplay just because I want to experience both gameplays.

To say that Nintendo wants to make more money by releasing these HD remakes and not releasing them as GameCube VC titles just doesn't compute since their HD versions are different. To me an HD remake is just that the original game with HD textures with no changes to the actual core game itself but as you can see with Wind Waker, it's more than just an HD remake. I haven't played Twilight Princess HD yet but I'm curious what changes to the original gameplay they made.

Last edited by ccfman2004,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There are 2 sides to HD Remakes. Some people may prefer the original and some may prefer the HD Remake. The big issue with the Wii U HD Remakes is that the game is not completely the same as the GameCube version.

Let's take Wind Waker HD as an example. There are HUGE differences in the actual gameplay in the HD Remake which make the game significantly easier to play as they removed some of the quests and added the swift sail as well as giving you more film in the camera, giving you the color camera much earlier in the HD remake and they also now let you know if a picture is good enough for entry to get you the statue for it.. The only thing they really had to change was the Tingle Tuner since there is no GBA support and leave the rest the same. That I can understand but the other stuff takes away from the original game. I never played the original Wind Waker so I was excited to play it for the first time on the Wii U. After playing the Wii U version a bit I decided to try out the GameCube version only to see the HUGE differences in the game.

There is a definitely a market for both the original and the HD remake. It would be completely different if the HD remake was just that, the original game with better textures like Halo CE: Anniversary but their HD remakes aren't like that. There may even be people like me who would buy both the original GameCube VC version AND the HD remake when they have big differences in the actual gameplay just because I want to experience both gameplays.

To say that Nintendo wants to make more money by releasing these HD remakes and not releasing them as GameCube VC titles just doesn't compute since their HD versions are different. To me an HD remake is just that the original game with HD textures with no changes to the actual core game itself but as you can see with Wind Waker, it's more than just an HD remake. I haven't played Twilight Princess HD yet but I'm curious what changes to the original gameplay they made.
tbh i would kill for a sunshine hd remake, imo nintendo needs to make more compilations/hdremakes of their numerous ips and great games, but since the wiiu is dead we wont see any hd remakes upcoming for sure maybe for the nex lol.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh i would kill for a sunshine hd remake, imo nintendo needs to make more compilations/hdremakes of their numerous ips and great games, but since the wiiu is dead we wont see any hd remakes upcoming for sure maybe for the nex lol.
I loved flying around on a water jetpack.

The Wii U is only dead because there is almost no 3rd party support and virtually no must have games. You can't sell a console unless it has some killer exclusive games. The shame is Nintendo used to be the best. I know 3rd parties complained that the Wii U was the least powerful of the 3 consoles but power is meaningless in console wars. It's all about the games. You could have the most powerful console on the planet but still fail if it doesn't have the games people want to play.

Also there was basically ZERO advertising that Nintendo was releasing a next-gen console with the fact they called it the Wii U which caused confusion with parents who didn't realize it was not a Wii forcing Nintendo to have those "It's not a Wii" commercials.

Maybe the NX will be better.

Mhx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I got my USB Y cable today, and that fixed it. Thanks for the help. I had one new question that I'm not sure if anyone has asked yet, but I don't particularly see any good way to filter through 1656 pages for this question. I was wondering just how unstable the memory card emulator is, since I have a lot of games, and I wanted to back them all up on my Wii U. One memory card only has so many blocks. Also, a more important question, can the emulated memory card be used for games that search for save data on older games? An example would be how F-Zero GX and AX have interchangeable saves, and LEGO Star Wars II can load a saved game from LEGO Star Wars I, to unlock new characters.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I got my USB Y cable today, and that fixed it. Thanks for the help. I had one new question that I'm not sure if anyone has asked yet, but I don't particularly see any good way to filter through 1656 pages for this question. I was wondering just how unstable the memory card emulator is, since I have a lot of games, and I wanted to back them all up on my Wii U. One memory card only has so many blocks. Also, a more important question, can the emulated memory card be used for games that search for save data on older games? An example would be how F-Zero GX and AX have interchangeable saves, and LEGO Star Wars II can load a saved game from LEGO Star Wars I, to unlock new characters.
The Memory Card emulator MCemu is perfectly fine. Just don't make them more than 251 blocks or you may run into issues with some games. For games that scan for other games on the same card simply use a Multi MCemu for those games.

I definitely don't recommend using the 8MB or higher cards (even Nintendont warns you) as games that require more RAM will have issues due to the limited amount of RAM the vWii has.

The big reason most of us prefer the single game MCemu is to prevent a poorly programmed game from corrupting the card causing us to loose everything on it. That's way more likely to happen than Nintendont doing it. I one time had a PS2 game completely wipe a Memory Card causing the Memory Card to become bricked. Not the PS2's fault but the game's.

Mhx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Memory Card emulator MCemu is perfectly fine. Just don't make them more than 251 blocks or you may run into issues with some games. For games that scan for other games on the same card simply use a Multi MCemu for those games.

I definitely don't recommend using the 8MB or higher cards (even Nintendont wars you) as games that require more RAM will have issues due to the limited amount of RAM the vWii has.

The big reason most of us prefer the single game MCemu is to prevent a poorly programmed game from corrupting the card causing us to loose everything on it. That's way more likely to happen than Nintendont doing it.

I was asking, since there was talk about Triforce games (Like AX) corrupting your emulated memcard last year.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/page-1194

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was asking, since there was talk about Triforce games (Like AX) corrupting your emulated memcard last year.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/page-1194
Triforce games don't use the same emulated memory card as GameCube games. It's always recommended to back this stuff up regularly.

Also there have been many revisions since then. That was more than 1 year ago and Nintendont has come a long way since.

Mhx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Triforce games don't use the same emulated memory card as GameCube games.
So I can't use a multicard to trade ships from AX to GX?
Also, just to clarify, do all games save as if they were on separate memcards, and when you turn on multi, is that a shared memcard?
It's a memcard I should only use for games that share data with other games. If so, if I already started a game without multi turned on, do I have to start that game over, and start it and the connecting game with multi turned on?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can't use a multicard to trade ships from AX to GX?
Also, just to clarify, do all games save as if they were on separate memcards, and when you turn on multi, is that a shared memcard?
It's a memcard I should only use for games that share data with other games. If so, if I already started a game without multi turned on, do I have to start that game over, and start it and the connecting game with multi turned on?
I don't know anything about Triforce game saves. I'll let someone more familiar about answer.

The default option for MCemu is singles. You don't have to start a new game when switching to a Multi-Game memory card. The Multi-Game option is the same as if you were using real memory cards where all games are stored together in the same file. You need to create the Multi-Game MCEmu file using Nintendont and then take that file along with the single game file for the game you started over to your computer and use Dolphin's Memory Card Manager to copy over the games to the Multi-Game file. Dolphin is the GameCube/Wii emulator for the computer and can be downloaded at https://dolphin-emu.org. The Multi-Game MCemu file is either called ninraw.bin for NTSC-U/PAL games or ninrawj.bin for Japanese games.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
@sonictopfan The GameCube, Wii and Wii U all use the PowerPC CPU so there is no emulation needed, unlike the N64 to Wii or NDS. The Wii U is basically a more powerful Wii which is basically a more powerful GameCube. There really is no excuse for Nintendo not to add GameCube VC on the Wii U. They would make tons more money considering how popular the GameCube still is. The only things that Nintendont has to emulate is the hardware that the Wii U doesn't have like Memory Card ports or GameCube controller ports. The stuff that is the most intensive to emulate, like the CPU doesn't have to be.
That's true, but like I said it would still require more work than they care for, you can ask the programmers here how much work and effort were put in the project just to get these games running, can it be done? Yes, but it would require a lot of work that they don't think is worth their effort, theoretically you can get Xbox games to run on PC because they are after all boxed computers that use DirectX, but nobody bothered to do it because it's a lot of work that most programmers didn't think it's worth the effort, just out of curiocity can you list 10 games that Nintendo legally own on Gamecube (no third party) that don't have an updated installment on a more recent console (Smash) and people would actually buy a lot? Kepp in mind just because you think Mario Sunshine is a good game doesn't exclude it from being the black sheep of the franchise, I can only think of Luigi's Mansion and Wario World, that's about it, there's a difference between "doable" and "worth the time and effort" and Nintendo is a profitable company after all.

That's not to say that I'm defending them or anything, I'd take the Gamecube over the Wii any day, I never really liked the motion controls one bit, I'm just saying unlike Sony they didn't lie about backwards compatibility, the PS3 can natively emulate PS1, PS2, and even PSP, it's already been implemented and you can even run discs and DVDs too but Sony locked these features less you use your legally owned discs so that they can re-ell you the only games they allow you to from PSN.

News flash, buddy, no company cares for backwards compatibility at this point, do you have a PS4? You have no idea how disappointed I was when I got mine due to how powerful the console is (first time ever Sony makes a console that I feel isn't going to explode on me any moment) and it has zero backwards compatibility, not even the PS3 controller works on it despite them both being bluetooth and having the same exact key sets, if that's no bullshit I don't know what is, backwards compatibility is a missed opportunity in my opinion and I care for it more than buying new games tbh, at least Nintendo supported the GC when they first lunched the Wii, and they still support the Wii until this day, they supported the GBA when the NDS came out, and they still support the regular NDS, DSi, and even the regular 3DS, despite them making New 3DS consoles now, they even bothered to release an adapter to support the GC controllers for us old gamers and they still support all of their Wii accessories and controllers till this day, say what you want but at this point Nintendo puts more effort on backwards compatibility than any other company out there, even Windows 10 has a lot of compatibility issues.

In my opinion the GameCube was Nintendo's best console. It had a huge library of great games. My GameCube collection, as small as it is, is still bigger than my Wii and Wii U collections. I think we can all agree that Nintendo's best Smash Bros. was Melee considering it is still the most sold game of a Nintendo console of any generation.

Quote for total agreement :)

Last edited by sonictopfan,

Mhx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know anything about Triforce game saves. I'll let someone more familiar about answer.

The default option for MCemu is singles. You don't have to start a new game when switching to a Multi-Game memory card. The Multi-Game option is the same as if you were using real memory cards where all games are stored together in the same file. You need to create the Multi-Game MCEmu file using Nintendont and then take that file along with the single game file for the game you started over to your computer and use Dolphin's Memory Card Manager to copy over the games to the Multi-Game file. Dolphin is the GameCube/Wii emulator for the computer and can be downloaded at https://dolphin-emu.org. The Multi-Game MCemu file is either called ninraw.bin for NTSC-U/PAL games or ninrawj.bin for Japanese games.

I already use Dolphin, but I wasn't aware that I could transfer my saves to Nintendont, so that's very interesting. If I haven't already started a game, and I turn on multi, it automatically adds that game to the multicard, then, so this was only a hypothetical question. You've been more than helpful, and I really appreciate your assistance. I wish I could commend you with some form of award.

Can you list 10 games that Nintendo legally own on Gamecube (no third party) that don't have an updated installment on a more recent console (Smash) and people would actually buy a lot? Kepp in mind just because you think Mario Sunshine is a good game doesn't exclude it from being the black sheep of the franchise, I can only think of Luigi's Mansion and Wario World, that's about it, there's a difference between "doable" and "worth the time and effort" and Nintendo is a profitable company after all.

-snip-

Quote for total agreement :)

I partially agree with you. While you got them there, with Nintendo being well known for heavily relying on 3rd party developers, I was very disappointed that the Wii/ Wii U never got a Kirby Air Ride 2, Pokemon XD/Colosseum based sequel, F-Zero game, Animal Crossing game (Aside from Big City letdown), an ACTUALLY GOOD Mario Party (The new one is complete trash, and an insult to the N64 versions), a new Metroid Prime that is not GARBAGE, and even though it is still technically 3rd party-ish, Nintendo and SEGA are pretty much console buddies now, so a new Sonic Adventure would be phenomenal, as long as it's not a storybook/werewolf/or especially BOOM related. Companies these days are really letting us down. Seriously, it's time to just ask the players for advice. They clearly have no idea what we want, because they keep shelling out mistake after mistake, and wondering why their net profits are dropping like an anvil.

Reactions: sonictopfan

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That GameCube controller adapter is OFFICIALLY only good for ONE game. Up until recently StarFox had no successor on a console. My favorite StarFox game is still Adventures. There are many GameCube games I prefer over the more recent installments. I miss the Pokémon Colosseum and XD's Story Mode as it was the only time we had a traditional type Pokémon game on a console.

The PS4 has some PS3 compatibility. The Move Controllers still work on the PS4. At least Sony is re-releasing some PS2 games as PS4 PSN games. This PS Now crap isn't going to fly with us for awhile since most people don't have access to good, uncapped, broadband.

I am sick of companies who think we don't know what we, the gamers, want. I agree they should just ask us what we want.

@Mhx Man are we up late. LOL. It's 3:41am by me.

Reactions: sonictopfan

Mhx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) That GameCube controller adapter is OFFICIALLY only good for ONE game.

2) Up until recently StarFox had no successor on a console. My favorite StarFox game is still Adventures. There are many GameCube games I prefer over the more recent installments. I miss the Pokémon Colosseum and XD's Story Mode as it was the only time we had a traditional type Pokémon game on a console.

3) The PS4 has some PS3 compatibility. The Move Controllers still work on the PS4. At least Sony is re-releasing some PS2 games as PS4 PSN games. This PS Now crap isn't going to fly with us for awhile since most people don't have access to good, uncapped, broadband.

4) I am sick of companies who think we don't know what we, the gamers, want. I agree they should just ask us what we want.

5) @Mhx Man are we up late. LOL. It's 3:41am by me.

1) I don't even know what was possibly running through their heads when they decided to market a "Smash Only" GC Controller market, with their new "special" GameCube controllers. 3rd party developers created GC controller adapters to spoof Wiimotes into thinking they're Classic controllers, yet Nintendo goes and does something like this, on top of not even having a decent variety of Virtual Console games, when the homebrew community has shown time and time again that the Wii U is more than capable of running/emulating virtually any console before PS2.

2) I have no idea why it took this long to make a new Starfox game, when the GameCube had 2 very good ones, with fantastic 4 player split screen. The new Star Fox Zero is probably the worst idea they've ever come up with, where you are forced to use the Gyroscope, and cant use a Pro Controller, as well as multiplayer being one person is the pilot, and the other shoots, in Arwing-only mode. Yeah, no multiplayer, just some joke of a co-op. They even got rid of many of the series' most popular characters, just because.

The Pokemon XD and Colosseum had great potential to be serious 3D Pokemon games, unlike the normal RPG based games. I really enjoyed the Shadow Pokemon story, and how they used Pokemon from different regions. Pokken Tournament is interesting, and could have made a sick twist to a new way to battle Pokemon, rather than the traditional turnbased games, so it would be more like the Anime.

3) I don't even know what Playstation is doing anymore. Sony Computer Entertainment has basically stopped creating new and unique console exclusives, and is kind of relying on sequels of older successful games, just to sell the console. The game streaming and rental is something I don't even want to consider.

4) If companies keep winging it, they will never make good games like I've seen come from fan games, because they always pull a C&D whenever something great comes out, since they didn't come up with it themselves, and won't just have the creator work with them to sell it as a 3rd party game.

5) I'm always up late. We might have the same time zone. I honestly don't even know what I'm doing with my life anymore. It's almost 6am, and I'm still up and online. Every day I tell myself to go to sleep early so I can get up early, and every night I don't. Oh well, life of a gamer, I guess.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Mhx With the USB GameCube Adapter it would have made the best sense to let vWii have access to it for VC titles and Wii games that use the GameCube controller like Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. Sometimes I scratch my head with the decisions these companies make. Although the same could be said for the US Government.

With Star Fox Zero, which I have but haven't played yet, the only character I could see them removing was General Pepper because of happened to him in Assault. I personally hate Gyroscopic games where the screen is part of the controller. I really enjoyed the Wii games that used the Wii Remote and Nunchuck as it felt more natural to "Point and Shoot" instead of fiddling with an analog stick but games like Zelda Ocarina Of Time 3D and Pokémon Dream Radar the gyroscope just doesn't work that well.

The popularity of Nintendont should show Nintendo how popular GameCube still games are, as they are, even over a decade later. I'm sorry but some of the so called Sequels and New Versions are just horrible compared to the GameCube version of the game.

The homebrew community only had it rough creating Nintendont because people had to reverse engineer everything on the Wii where as Nintendo already knows how everything works and has the source code where as we don't. With Nintendont we really only had a few people who put into making it where as Nintendo has teams of people dedicated to programming so adding GameCube VC games would not be as hard as others make it seem. While it took us over a year to get Nintendont to where it is today Nintendo could easily do it in a fraction of that time since they know the ins and outs of the Wii U. Right now Nintendo is making ZERO money (other than what they get from people buying the Wii/Wii U for Nintendont) on us playing the GameCube games on the Wii U. I would have no qualms buying GameCube VC titles, even if I already had the original GameCube Discs for the game I loved.

I always wondered if an online petition was created towards Nintendo about adding GameCube VC titles how many people would sign it and would it be enough to convince them that adding GameCube games to the Wii U would be worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."