Nintendont

By sabykos, Jun 10, 2013 6,957,955 40,397 159

1. ccfman2004

ccfman2004 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    @ Mhx With the USB GameCube Adapter it would have made the best sense to let vWii have access to it for VC titles and Wii games that use the GameCube controller like Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. Sometimes I scratch my head with the decisions these companies make. Although the same could be said for the US Government.

With Star Fox Zero, which I have but haven't played yet, the only character I could see them removing was General Pepper because of happened to him in Assault. I personally hate Gyroscopic games where the screen is part of the controller. I really enjoyed the Wii games that used the Wii Remote and Nunchuck as it felt more natural to "Point and Shoot" instead of fiddling with an analog stick but games like Zelda Ocarina Of Time 3D and Pokémon Dream Radar the gyroscope just doesn't work that well.

The popularity of Nintendont should show Nintendo how popular GameCube still games are, as they are, even over a decade later. I'm sorry but some of the so called Sequels and New Versions are just horrible compared to the GameCube version of the game.

The homebrew community only had it rough creating Nintendont because people had to reverse engineer everything on the Wii where as Nintendo already knows how everything works and has the source code where as we don't. With Nintendont we really only had a few people who put into making it where as Nintendo has teams of people dedicated to programming so adding GameCube VC games would not be as hard as others make it seem. While it took us over a year to get Nintendont to where it is today Nintendo could easily do it in a fraction of that time since they know the ins and outs of the Wii U. Right now Nintendo is making ZERO money (other than what they get from people buying the Wii/Wii U for Nintendont) on us playing the GameCube games on the Wii U. I would have no qualms buying GameCube VC titles, even if I already had the original GameCube Discs for the game I loved.

I always wondered if an online petition was created towards Nintendo about adding GameCube VC titles how many people would sign it and would it be enough to convince them that adding GameCube games to the Wii U would be worth it.

2. Mhx

Mhx Member
    Newcomer

United States
    The only minor issue is that every Gamecube game uses 1.5GB, so you'd probably want to buy an expansion HDD, if you were a normal person without a softmodded vWii. Even still, there is no official Gamecube support, and it really wouldn't be that hard to make an official memory card USB adapter. They could probably even unlock consoles with an update to play gamecube discs on Wii U. They only care about making the next dollar, so they're scrapping the U for the NX.

3. ccfman2004

United States
    First of all if Nintendo did it they would only include the game files, not the full 1.4GB ISO with garbage data. Also the Family Edition Wii and Wii U are PHYSICALLY incapable of accepting GameCube discs. The physical mechanism that allows the original Wii to accept GameCube discs just doesn't exist in the Wii U or the Family Edition Wii's.

The original Wii's optical drive has a pair of arms that keep the GameCube disc in the center. These "arms" don't exist in the Wii U's drive. Plus there is a sensor that detects how wide these arms open so it knows what size disc was inserted.

Last edited by ccfman2004, Jun 3, 2016
  4. sonictopfan

sonictopfan GBAtemp Addict

I completely agree with you on this, the GC has many good games but unfortunately most of the first party ones either were ported over to the Wii and got motion control crap instead (Metroid Prime, Mario Tennis) or got new installments that just aren't anywhere as good (Super Smash, Mario Party) so to Nintendo these games may not be worth the effort of porting them over to Wii/Wii U or making something similar to Nintendont for them, plus I can't help but feel they're afraid Melee selling better on VC and sabotaging the sales for Smash U which will probably cost more being on disc and all, can't say I blame them here.

5. ccfman2004

United States
    In the case of Pikmin 1 and 2, I liked the Wii version better as the motion controls made the game easier to play. Throwing a Pikmin was as easy as grab, point and throw. Same goes for Metroid Prime. There are those who would still prefer the original GameCube version of some games.

There's the fact that the Wii U has the WORST selling rate of Disc-Based Nintendo consoles. As of March 2016, the Wii U hasn't even sold 13 million units compared to the GameCube's over 21 million and the Wii's over 100 million. The Wii U's best selling title is Mario Kart 8 which is only slightly higher than Melee.

Selling GameCube VC games would definitely create a increase of Wii U sales. Of those 13 million Wii U's I wonder how many of them people bought them to play Nintendont on.

Consider this: Take the population of New York City and Los Angeles, that's about how many Wii U's have sold WORLDWIDE. That's just pathetic. Nintendo is digging themselves into a Black Hole at this rate.

If Nintendo would make a GameCube sandbox for the Wii U they could easily generate so much more income by selling GameCube VC games which I know there is a market for if you look at Nintendont's popularity.

It is so sad to think that such a great company is going the way of the Dodo if they keep going the way they are (at least on the console front).

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    lol nintendo isnt loosing money at all, they are making most money on portables like they always did xD, nintendo always made their big bucks on their portable systems since the original GB, every portable system outsold their home console conterpart by alot, thats where they get their money, nintendo is nowhere near of being like the dodo lol, they make money enough on their portables to sustain their home consoles for a long time, what nintendo needs is really the nx, if like the people say its a semi portable/home console hybrid thats where they will shine depending on the pricing tough..

7. Mhx

Mhx Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Metroid Prime Trilogy was actually vastly improved by Wiimote controls. Before, on GC, you had to hold R Trigger to aim up or down, or rely on auto aim. With Wiimote, you can run and gun, while shooting any feasible direction, and jump, and while loosely locked on homing shots, if you need to fight certain enemies. Even better, the Wiimote controls added a new feature to allow side dashing to avoid incoming fire, and the ability to ball jump by flicking the remotes up, allowing for a 3rd bomb jump exploit to a side dash locked onto a distant wall, to get the Metroid Prime Space Jump ability at the beginning of the game.

So, I wanted to bring up a question regarding the GBA connectivity on Wii U. I did my research and found absolutely no GBA to USB cords that are not chargers, and that the Official Smash port doesn't have the right parts to receive info from the GBA link adapter. However, the question was hanging whether or not a 3rd party developer GameCube to USB adapter would work. I've found many GC to USB adapters created by 3rd party companies, and I was wondering how many have been tested for GBA functionality.

Mayflash Wii U/PC
    Hyperkin Wii U/PC
    Nexilux Wii U/PC
    Mayflash Adapter Wii/Wii U
    Emio Gamecube adapter for MK8 and Sm4sh
    Zedlabz GC USB for Wii U/PC

If none of these have GBA support, simply because of a missing chip, could you not purchase a broken GameCube and swap out the parts?

Troopage likes this.
  8. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    lol so you think third partys were out of their way and added gba link cable software read to their wiiu smash adaters? lol, the main issue is all those adapters turn gc controller signal into hid controller signal, the gba connectivity is not a hid compatible code , its raw data so yeah no usb adapter will work .

9. Mhx

Mhx Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I've been surprised before by Chinese rip off devices, like a fake GBA that actually plays GBA cartridges, so I'm always at least a bit curious.
    Even still, that doesn't answer whether or not I could just take the GameCube ports off of a broken GameCube or Wii, and either swap them out with the adapter, or solder the wires straight to the Wii U. It's a huge pain, but it wouldn't be the first time a console was hardmodded. It's been done to the Wiis that were later sold without GameCube support, and it could possibly be done again to the Wii U.
    http://hackaday.com/2012/05/24/grab-your-iron-and-add-gamecube-back-to-the-wii/

10. tbb043

tbb043 Member

United States
    You can find stamps in treasure chests (exciting, huh?)

11. Troopage

Troopage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Let's play the game "count how many times pedro puts "lol" in his posts to mock others."
    In all seriousness though, this console/handheld hybrid rumor would change the gaming landscape if it's true. Especially if it features cross-save and cross-buy between the 3DS and Wii U. It certainly would explain why Nintendo says it's not going to replace the Wii U and 3DS but connect with them.

Last edited by Troopage, Jun 3, 2016
  12. DeezTits

DeezTits GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This. THIS!

13. FIX94

FIX94 Former Staff
    Former Staff

Germany
    just did all sorts of small things to nintendont which should be pretty good for us.
    -added 2 more demos into special patch lists and added a text file listing all the currently special patched demos
    -added proper app switcher patch trigger to handle them more safely
    -made quite a few patch copies dynamic to save some low mem1 memory
    -added a second security check in the n64 emulator detection so it wont apply to a wrong file anymore
    -removed 2 more old and unused .S files to save some space

oh also just for fun this is the patching log I get when clicking on a multi game disc in the loader up to the demo in question finally starting ;)
    http://pastie.org/private/xjyjrjtrijdfbnka28ssiq

14. sonictopfan

sonictopfan GBAtemp Addict

Count me in, this looks like a fun game XD

Troopage and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  15. pan_kisiel

pan_kisiel Newbie
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    hello, i have a problem. maybe someone could help..

when i start up a game all four led are instantly on and i can not control anything. this happens with the newest version of nintendont and with original wiimote + original classic controller attached. wiimote and classic work good (wii games or retroarch)

any ideas on that?

thx

16. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho GBAtemp Fan

Venezuela
    Wait, I've been out of touch with nintendon't, but it can now emulate N64?

17. FIX94

FIX94 Former Staff
    Former Staff

Germany
    I'm talking about the emulator in the ocarina of time and collectors edition bonus discs with that, they require some special settings in nintendont to run correctly in wii mode.

Troopage, KiiWii and Duncan Idaho like this.
  18. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Can you do the same for snes/nes emulators in Animal Crossing?
    currently the video mode is put into 240/288p ignoring the 576i,480i/p forced video modes from Nintendont..

19. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    fake/3rd party wiimote/classic controller?

20. pan_kisiel

pan_kisiel Newbie
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    definitely not. original peripherals..

it worked once with the nunchuck (original, too) and once with the classic controller, but now it does not. also tried an older build from nov. 2015. same issue..

Last edited by pan_kisiel, Jun 5, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendont,