Nintendo working on an Android tablet!

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bombastic headline suggesting this "tablet" will actually come to fruition. The tweets suggest nothing more than Nintendo testing educational hardware/software. I want to take out a loan to make a huge bet that Nintendo will never release an Android tablet.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bombastic headline suggesting this "tablet" will actually come to fruition. The tweets suggest nothing more than Nintendo testing educational hardware/software. I want to take out a loan to make a huge bet that Nintendo will never release an Android tablet.

Only time will tell to truly find out what they will do, but Android? Yeah, I highly doubt they will go that route.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
haha...insert "WHAT IF I TOLD YOU" meme :P

I can see it now... Mario Teaches Texting!

HOWEVER:

just like Bandai's failure marketing to CHILDREN with the PLAYDIA.

so did Casio when it came to marketing to GIRLS on on LOOPY.

no large manufacturer has made a massively successful console or handheld that marketed directly to a specific demographic since It's viewed as taboo nowadays due to previous attempts [and failures] and the concept has been pretty much abandoned altogether. (except LeapFrog {leapster]) Granted, Casio and Bandai were quite strangers when it came to the video game console industry. Nintendo is no stranger..but their previous attempts with the..."child-only" group have been about less than lukewarm (mario is missing, mario's time machine, mario teaches typing, etc).

If the rumors are true. Nintendo COULD have a rough time with this..and this idea COULD go down in history next to the Virtual Boy as a "I can too" gimmick.

guyver2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man I've been thinking this past year. If nintendo partnered up with google to get android on their WiiU pads from the start, then Soooo many people would've got the wiiu just for the gimmick of having and andoid tablet with a built in controller with their game console. Also might've staved off google from home console market, perhaps.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner. Vtech and Leapfrog are killing it in the educational tablet market and their devices and apps are incredibly bad and even though they update them yearly, their devices are really outdated for the price they charge. Nintendo's already good name with quality educational DS titles + brand power would make this easy for them.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I still don't believe it.
So I guess we will be seeing a lot of Brain Age and Brain Training type games for this.

any $ it will be for japan only
I had the exact same thought.

And of course it will come with the latest Android 2.2 Froyo! It has the latest 800MHz processor and an amazing Adreno 200 GPU! Oh yeah and you can't run shit on it since it runs a locked down Nintendo custom skin like Kindle. And lat but not least it costs 600 fucking dollars.
I don't think it will be using Froyo. Even chinese shitlets use at least 4.0 nowadays. And it doesn't make sense to use an Android version that was really outdated by the time they got the idea to make an Android tablet. It won't save them any time, effort or money.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sorry to disappoint you guys and to be me the one who pops your bubble, but this might ve just a troll .. I read in a site that Nintendo reps said that currently no one with the name of "Nando Monterazo" working at Nintendo.. But this doesnt negates anything :ph34r: :ph34r: .. I have the link But i think im not allowed to post it here.

Edit: ok I can post it, here is the source : http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/19/n...king-an-android-tablet-for-educational-games/
Why does this not surpise me?

Look...guys. C'mon. This is nintendo we're talking about. While other companies expand wildly into territories they barely have a clue about, nintendo was always about gaming. Yes, educational games at times, but no way that they're just going to start making educational tablets out of the fucking blue. Keep this kind of news to the 1st of april, will you? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Duo8

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Oh, well then everyone except Nvidia is finished.

Nvidia is currently developing the Tegra 5, and early benchmarks show that the SoC is about 3 times more powerful than any mobile chip on the market right now. Since this is achieved to the fact that the SoC is a scaled down desktop Kelper, I doubt any other chip coming out next year will rival it's power. It's due for release in the Shield 2 next year.

If Nvidia realises what's going on and keep the chip exclusive to their platform, they'd have a gaming Android many times more powerful than any of the competition. If the original Shield was any indication, the Shield 2 will be priced reasonably too.

Damn..

Had no idea.

I mean, if the future of gaming is Android, so be it. I don't care if, IF they follow Shield's example. Good controls can make or break a device. And we need buttons dammit.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
is this for schools or toy stores?

schools are already embracing ipads. ipads already have educational software (both apps and games). the kids, who love nintendo as a brand, are not the ones making the decisions.

after how well the 2ds sold to children, it is no wonder they are doing something like this.

-another world

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Soooo...
Does that means the long-awaited sequel for Mario Is Missing is finally coming as a launch title for the tablet?
Weeeeegeee!!

Still better than Ouya games

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
C/C++.... I can see why they might want to perhaps leverage their existing SDKs but I am not sure that is ideal for this.

Anyway here is hoping is gets Nintendo to see the light and abandon or at least split some of their efforts between their own platforms and ones used by everybody else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: nuh uh +1