Nintendo WiFi USB Modding

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by coolbho3000, Apr 12, 2008.

Apr 12, 2008

Nintendo WiFi USB Modding by coolbho3000 at 12:50 AM (1,147 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. coolbho3000
    OP

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

I'm thinking of modding my antenna on the Nintendo WiFi USB Connector, but I need help identifying the antenna inside.

I found this copper coil thing which I am 80% sure is the antenna:
    [​IMG]

top view

[​IMG]

Can anyone say whether it is or not for certain? I'm about to pry it off and solder on a better one. [​IMG]

2. PigVenus

Member PigVenus GBAtemp Regular

Sri Lanka
    That might not be a good idea. Antennas are tuned for a particular frequency (by making then a certain ratio of the wavelength). A long antenna does not necessarily mean it will be better.

You might try creating a parabolic dish instead to focus the signal. Of course the trade-off is that the antenna is then more directional. I've heard good results from people using 8" collanders (food strainers).

3. coolbho3000
    OP

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

I already successfully soldered a wire to the proper antenna (not the one I pointed out above) and it still works. I might put a N connector or something on the end to try different WiFi antennae.