OLED Switch Bluetooth Issue

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having an issue where if I am further than 7ft from the console, the console sometimes will not register button presses.

I tried on another one of my OLEDs and it did not have this issue.

I also tried replacing the wifi/BT antennas with a spare I had laying around the house.

The replacement made it worse so I decided it would be best to put the original back on.

Is it possible that the bluetooth antenna wire got damaged during reassembly after mod chip install?

Or is this another nintendo quality control issue where some consoles have better range than others?

If anyone can please help me out, I would be very happy.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would want to check the original antenna to see if there are any damage.

Check with my eyes? Only the cable looks a bit worn, but the replacement made it worse so I assume that one is even worse.

Would replacing the antenna solve the problem?

yyuZRT2LqOpbEPEn.large

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check with my eyes? Only the cable looks a bit worn, but the replacement made it worse so I assume that one is even worse.

Would replacing the antenna solve the problem?

yyuZRT2LqOpbEPEn.large

Are the replacement part OEM or are they third party? Also you want to check if there any damage to the connector head and connector on the motherboard.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the replacement part OEM or are they third party? Also you want to check if there any damage to the connector head and connector on the motherboard.
Replacement was OEM but it looked in worse shape physically then the original one I had. Connector looks pretty good.

The cable may have gotten pinched in between the switch during reassembly. After this, I am not sure what else I can do. It only happens when I am too far away from the switch.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Replacement was OEM but it looked in worse shape physically then the original one I had. Connector looks pretty good.

The cable may have gotten pinched in between the switch during reassembly. After this, I am not sure what else I can do. It only happens when I am too far away from the switch.

7 feet is quite short, as normally you are able to use bluetooth 30 feet away.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try new antenna cable, you got anything like a microwave close by?

It is next to my router.

I remeasured.

Problematic switch has signal up until 15FT then button presses start to get lost.

Brand new switch doesn't lose button presses until 23FT.

7FT was a wrong estimate.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is next to my router.

I remeasured.

Problematic switch has signal up until 15FT then button presses start to get lost.

Brand new switch doesn't lose button presses until 23FT.

7FT was a wrong estimate.

You can try new antenna but I don't know if that would solve your problem, you should also check for other device that use 2.4GHz band that might cause interference for you as the switch bluetooth use 2.4 GHz

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try new antenna but I don't know if that would solve your problem, you should also check for other device that use 2.4GHz band that might cause interference for you as the switch bluetooth use 2.4 GHz

Why is the problem only on the right joy con? The left joy con has normal range.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might just be interference. Do you know the range before you modded the switch?

I didn't think to check that as it was my first successful mod.

The replacement came from a failed attempt.

I suspect one of two things:

1) I damaged the wire somehow as the wire on the replacement looks more "squished" than the original one. They both have some wear on the cables though.

2) There are quality control issues with the switch and some have better bluetooth connectivity than others.

The difference between the antennas was pretty big though. One of them is playable with glitches, while the other is completely unusable.

This is my personal switch so I am hoping this resolves my problem. I can't find anyone else having issues with the antennas.

Scififreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i am getting symilar problems on 2 switches i modded with picofly .
right joycon misses button presses 3.5m away from console . also some disconnects .
its fine when u are close .
my unmodded switch did not have these issues .
Did u find a solution ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1