Misc Nintendo WiFi Connector as SoftAP on Vista or Seven?

SirCB85

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi, I was actualy wondering if someone managed to find a way to make the Wifidongle from Nintendo work as a SoftAP on Windows Vista or Seven? Alltough I use my Laptop with Vista and the original Software to go WiFI with commercial Games I cant find a way to use it for any Homebrew or even the Akaio WiFi Update.
As for my Seven Ultimate on my Desktop I managed to bring the Hacked Asus software halfway to work with VirtualXP.
Halfway because of 2 bumps..
1. As soon as I activate the shared Internet it looses the connectivity to the internet all together, which means I can setup an SoftAP that connects to my VirtualXP, but not any further. So I can setup an FTP Software on the virtual machine to dump roms and saves, but still no WiFi for Homebrews or Akaio.
2. Networking on the VXP is so lame, instead of 1.5 Hours it takes 4-5 Hours to dump a 124MB Game.

So you see, I realy could need some help here
frown.gif

I also got another stick here with an Ralink RT2571 Chipset, but that one I couldn´t get to run as a SoftAP either, so if anyone could make a sugestion how to set up at least one of the two sticks on Vista or even better Seven, my eternal gratitude yould sneak up on you for ever
wink.gif

Oh btw. I´m Using Vista 32Bit and Seven Ultimate 64Bit.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I actually found a very good tutorial for this, complete with download links for necessary files, but for lack of time I have yet to try it myself.

got to : http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/390312

you got all the necessary instructions.

Let me know how it goes, I'd like to try that myself some day.

On a different note, I also have the problem that sometime I loose connectivity, and my workaround it to restart the system with the Wi-Fi dongle in the usb port, this way it gets recognized from the start and it seems to work well after words.

SirCB85

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The problem with the connectivity on my VXP seems to be due to some overlapping IP which I can´t find a way to counteract
frown.gif
Every time I try to setup a forwarding from the SoftAP to my hardline network it sets the virtual Lancard to the same IP as my router what then blocks all traffic out of the virtual system into the real one
frown.gif
but I´m gonne try your link and post some feedback when I´m done.

EDIT: DOH, forget it, it´s one of the hundrets of copies of the tut how to do it on XP which will definetly not work on Vista
frown.gif
But thanks anyways for trying =)

EDIT 2: Okay, after posting here some kind of flash must have hit me, because I got some pretty good ideas how I could make the Tutorial you posted work and I had apartial success.

First thing was to bring the VXP back online after I activated ICS, that one was actualy easy, I just had to deactivate the LANdevice within the VXP, set it to another IP and my RouterIP as DNS and Gateway.
After that I had access to the internet from within the VXP but my DS still didn´t want to connect to Nintendo WFC through it.
So I had to tweak this one too, what I did by setting the Gateway to my Virtual LANcards IP and the DNS to my Routers IP in the LANconfig within my Virtual XP.
After that I had to set the DNS in the WiFi settings of the DS to the IP of my router (gateway was still set to the IP of by WiFi Stick in VXP) and finaly the signal got through..
Well at least it seemed that way, but that only worked for the fist connection test on the DS, just seconds later without changing anything I got error 51099 telling me the DS found no compatible AP
frown.gif

So I tried some and finaly after I just rebootet the Virtual Machine, I got through another time, but just as before, just that one time.. at the second try I was locked out again until I rebooted again.
So operation successfull, patient dead
frown.gif

EDIT 3: Some little adding to #2.
Figured out that I actualy don´t have to reboot the entire VM but just to plug out and back in the WiFi Stick.
Maybe it got to hot and needs some time pluged out to cool down, will try again later.

EDIT 4: Okay, gave the stick some time on the windowbench to cool down and after that it worked fine for some minutes before it headed up again, anyone got an idea how to keep the stick cool?

wiiluver135

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so what is the exact name of the application your using so I'll know which one to use:
VirtualPC, VirtualXP? What is it called?

Edit: I found it but now I've come to a BIG problem...is there anyway to make VirtualXP work on W7 Home Premium?
Or do I have to get Ultimate?

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
if u got a DSi or Wii to connect to (or tht u just wanna make the softap) try using connectify ONLY if u see the virtual wifi miniport adapter available on yer adapters screen

how to setup on command line,

type the following
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=(the name of network) key=(8 character password)

then type
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

or u could use connectify (which MAY be unstable)

D

Deleted-236924

Arm73 said:
I actually found a very good tutorial for this, complete with download links for necessary files, but for lack of time I have yet to try it myself.

got to : http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/390312

you got all the necessary instructions.

Let me know how it goes, I'd like to try that myself some day.

On a different note, I also have the problem that sometime I loose connectivity, and my workaround it to restart the system with the Wi-Fi dongle in the usb port, this way it gets recognized from the start and it seems to work well after words.

I tried that on W7 32 bits, and I can't even start up that ASUS program.

SirCB85

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thats because it was made ages ago to run on Windows XP.
wink.gif

I made it run by installing it in a Virtual XP which you can download for free if you have an activated Win 7 Professional or Ultimate.
For Win 7 Home I guess you could try something like VMware or something similar, but I don´t know any of them, so you would have to google some to find out how to set up Win XP in one of them.

wiiluver135

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed everything you did but I'm having the same problem...how do you keep it from overheating?
Or should I just pack it up and get a real Wireless Router?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Steams valued at 300b