Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector signal

Discussion in '3DS - Nintendo Network' started by Akotan, May 16, 2012.

1. Akotan
    OP

Akotan Mathematical!

Mar 14, 2004
    Brazil
    Can I ask something really dumb? Here it goes: can cellphones, notebooks or other wi-fi capable devices detect Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector signal? Can them use it to access internet? How does it work? (Maybe it doesn't but can't hurt to ask! :P)

2. moerik

moerik GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Canada
    Canada, Alberta
    Taken from Wikipedia:

Proprietary authentication

One criticism[by whom?] of the Wi-Fi USB Connector is that it uses a proprietary authentication mechanism. Because of this, the Wi-Fi USB Connector works only with approved devices, which at this time is limited to the DS and Wii consoles.[5] This behavior was an intentional design decision on the part of Nintendo, as it prevents outside parties from connecting to the Wi-Fi USB Connector with their computers and accessing the user's Internet connection or computer.
    While the Wi-Fi USB Connector can be modified to circumvent this,[3] the modification is beyond the capability of most users and is naturally unsupported by Nintendo.

-----

However after skimping through another Google, I found this. http://www.digifail.com/text/wfchack.shtml
    It is a tutorial to hacking your Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connecter, I have not read or used it, but it was the first one to pop-up. (I Skimmed right through it).

If any problems or issues come you will know where to go.

1 person likes this.
  3. kirbymaster101

kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 21, 2008
    Canada
    you can mod it to work as a regular wifi adaptor though I dont know where the guide for that is.

4. Akotan
    OP

Akotan Mathematical!

Mar 14, 2004
    Brazil
    Hmmm, time to buy a router then... I found that Nintendo USB Connector hacking when I searched before posting here. And I don't have the guts to try hacking it.
    These router aren't so expensive so there's no need to ruin the device.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice