Nintendo to shut down online play for all 3DS and Wii U games

sdaadsdas.png

It's the end of an era. Or perhaps the second end to an era. Following on the heels of Nintendo's decision to shut down the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U eShops and delisting all digital games for both platforms, is the announcement that online play for the two systems will also be discontinued. In April 2024, all online functionalities for all 3DS and Wii U titles will no longer work, including SpotPass. The shutdown of online servers for 3DS and Wii U games will happen just about 10 years to the day that Nintendo took down online play for the Nintendo Wii and DS.

In a FAQ regarding the announcement, Nintendo stated that support for Pokemon Bank will continue for now, though the service, "may also end at some point in the future".

In early April 2024, online play and other functionality that uses online communication will end for Nintendo 3DS* and Wii U software. This also includes online co-operative play, internet rankings, and data distribution.

You can find more information about badges for decorating the Nintendo 3DS HOME Menu using Nintendo Badge Arcade here.

We will announce a specific end date and time at a later date.

Please note that if an event occurs that would make it difficult to continue online services for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software, we may have to discontinue services earlier than planned.

We sincerely thank players for using the online services of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software over a long period of time and apologize for any inconvenience.

* This includes software exclusive to New Nintendo 3DS.

:arrow: Source

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So some of the best Monster Hunter games are going to be dead?

4U needs a rerelease. 3U (via wiiu ad-hoc) needs a re-release. And XX is dead too (also on switch)
it's funny how you can still download all of the dlc and extra content for the freedom games if you can manage to connect your psp to the internet somehow, but won't be able to do that for the newer games on the 3ds and wii u lol

Reactions: Purple_Shyguy

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
I DID NOT EXPECT THIS TO HAPPEN TO MY FAVORITE SYSTEM OF ALL TIME.

Well nice... I've gotten all of those games that I've wanted to make even an attempt to enjoy their online functionalities along with actually playing the game but now Nintendo's going to mess me up giving me less of a chance to actually play these games...

Looks like Pretendo's going to have more of a spotlight. Kind of funny that theyve said this the day that I've signed up for that service too. But at the same time though, I've made an account and I don't even know if it's still available for everyone to use it.

Anyways, looks like the 3ds and the WiiU is going to be officially dead In April 2024..... I have a bunch of memories with that system even if half of it was just me being inside of a Corrupted community of pedophiles and stuff (Not this one OFC, I'm talking about another games). These consoles shaped who I am, and respected my true love for Nintendo in which that ever since the Switch, won't never achieve again. I still haven't truly played any major switch release at ALL to this day and finished it. I'm going to miss this system. I'm going to miss the Nostalgia of playing it. I hope that when Pretendo comes, it'll truly revive what this system can do. They got until 2024 tilo ensure that most games have their functionality....

This actually made me a bit sad and I've already been having a stressful week. I hate this. A lot.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's why I always stick with physical copies of games forever and not have to worry about server shut down where Nintendo kill support off.
Learn to "backup".
Digital is still way better: No significant waste of actual physical space, no need to search for game X in the house, no worries about the media going bad.

"But my online shops closing!" - Yarr, me hearties! Bless pira-I mean, "archival".

Also PC >>>>>>>> consoles for many reason, this is just another one of them.
Hopefully someone will Reverser Engineer their network/protocols in time to create their own.
It'd be cool if we could have an unofficial eShop (not freeShop) with prices set to 0 too.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Time to say goodbye to the last remnants of free console online...soon all that will exist is paid subscriptions for something that should be free.

Something that I have forgot to realize. All of the stuff on the big three are now online and paid... Unless you're talking about some PC games at least.

Something that I like to see is that out of all of the people who owned a WiiU and the 3ds, only 35% actually Modded their console.. I may be wrong, but why can Mario Kart Wii for instance be one of the most popular games people play on a Modded system but not anything else on there? The same will be said for games like the popular ones on the 3ds.

Name any Switch game that has online functionality that's as great as the 3ds/Wiiu.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States

They better not discontinue that or else people would actually riot if their games stopped working online and they paid for it. They could resort to modding otherwise if they do have their game to be missing or something.

Is there really a point to transfer older Pokémon to Home, when the new games don't support all of them and they would most likely be outdated anyway?

This reason along is why Pokemon after Gen 7 stopped having the magic that it already had. And Scarlet/Viloet despite being a new genearation still doesn't include all pokemon. We'll see for NIntendo's next console.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They bought Splatoon 1 and OG MK8 back online in August.

This is such poor timing to shut everything down in April next year.
Why did they even bother patching the games at all if the writing was on the wall for the online service shut down?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol