Gaming Nintendo this generation... knocking it out of the park?

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Am I the only one who is very surprised at how Nintendo seem to be knocking every single first party title out of the park?

Mario Odyssey - literally for a Mario game, pretty much gaming perfection as a platformer in the last 5 years. The new mechanics were beautiful and flawless, presentation and soundtrack first class. Only critique I can find is difficulty & boss battle simplicity.

BOTW - their first venture into a 3d open world game and they absolutely destroy it whilst refreshing a franchise and they didn't have to if they didn't want to.

Smash Bros ultimate - just the menu screens alone, the quick transitioning, the multi-layered online system with cusomisation, the ability to play 2 people in co-op locally online, a huge roster, an amazing OST, fast responsive menu systems, quick to get into online games

Mario Kart - was pretty much a perfect game last gen except not being able to hold 2 items and battle mode.. and wtf.. Nintendo actually fixed it!!

Mario and Rabbids - although not my type of game, they managed to even support ubisoft in providing a game with a certain level of polish i would not expect.

Nintendo seem to really be learning from their past mistakes. Apart from lack of bluetooth headphone support & voice chat, they seem to finally be getting back with the times. Any thoughts on this?
The only game I've played which could have done with more time and optimisation is XC2. Probably my second favorite switch game but it is a rough diamond.
I haven't played Mario Tennis or Party yet either... are they up to the same level or quality.. or..?

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario Kart- a rehash of a game from the last generation, easy cop out for money
Captain Toad- a rehash of a game from the last generation, easy cop out for money
New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe- a rehash of a game from the last generation, easy cop out for money
Pokken Tournament- a rehash of a game from the last generation, easy cop out for money

all these totally new first party titles are amazing, nintendo is really on it this time!

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Captain Toad- a rehash of a game from the last generation, easy cop out for money
New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe- a rehash of a game from the last generation, easy cop out for money
Pokken Tournament- a rehash of a game from the last generation, easy cop out for money

all these totally new first party titles are amazing, nintendo is really on it this time!
You forgot Donkey Kong Country and Bayonetta

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nope, they did hit OK, but it's a two-base at best.
I mean...
BOTW, many people don't like it that much to be honest, just take a look at gbatemp's review (I do love the game myself)
Mario Odyssey, it's an OK game but many people find flaws in it, again take a look at gbatemp's review (this time around I agree)
Smash Bros ultimate, I've been playing this for just two days... it's too little time to say it's a masterpiece or whatever (but I am liking it)
Mario Kart 8, TBH I loved it in the Wii U, I still love the Dmilking Xpress edition, but it's a rehash with a paint job.
Mario and Rabbids, meh... it's not bad, TBH it's average.
The sale numbers, those are quite good actually... almost third base, no home-run though.

Reactions: kumikochan

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Am I the only one who is very surprised at how Nintendo seem to be knocking every single first party title out of the park?

Mario Odyssey - literally for a Mario game, pretty much gaming perfection as a platformer in the last 5 years. The new mechanics were beautiful and flawless, presentation and soundtrack first class. Only critique I can find is difficulty & boss battle simplicity.

BOTW - their first venture into a 3d open world game and they absolutely destroy it whilst refreshing a franchise and they didn't have to if they didn't want to.

Smash Bros ultimate - just the menu screens alone, the quick transitioning, the multi-layered online system with cusomisation, the ability to play 2 people in co-op locally online, a huge roster, an amazing OST, fast responsive menu systems, quick to get into online games

Mario Kart - was pretty much a perfect game last gen except not being able to hold 2 items and battle mode.. and wtf.. Nintendo actually fixed it!!

Mario and Rabbids - although not my type of game, they managed to even support ubisoft in providing a game with a certain level of polish i would not expect.

Nintendo seem to really be learning from their past mistakes. Apart from lack of bluetooth headphone support & voice chat, they seem to finally be getting back with the times. Any thoughts on this?
The only game I've played which could have done with more time and optimisation is XC2. Probably my second favorite switch game but it is a rough diamond.
I haven't played Mario Tennis or Party yet either... are they up to the same level or quality.. or..?
Super Mario Party is pretty good, they've finally returned to the classic style of Mario Party games that everyone wanted. I do wish the boards were bigger and more varied, rather than just comprised of a few small rectangles and one big rectangle, but I'll take it. The minigames are good and don't go too heavy on the motion controls like Mario Party 8 did.

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hope you say the same about all rehash of all playstayion and xbox.. Nintendo does this only because the wii u didnt sell well so they bring the better games to a broader audience on the switch.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope you say the same about all rehash of all playstayion and xbox.. Nintendo does this only because the wii u didnt sell well so they bring the better games to a broader audience on the switch.
just because other companies are doing it doesn't make it okay. Also, Playstation and Xbox will get like a new halo or walking dead or whatever, but they don't really have any exclusives to release each console generation.
Nintendo, on the other hand, is made up of exclusives. When people buy a new console from Nintendo, they expect to get all new releases from the main line series. There have been new Mario Kart titles with each console generation since the SNES, new 2D Mario titles on every console generation since the NES (except the GBA,) and so on, so new titles for a new console are expected. For the switch though, Nintendo just ported their old Wii U PowerPC titles to ARM, and slapped them onto the switch. It isn't really justified for Nintendo to do this, because if people wanted to play Wii U games, they'd buy a Wii U, and I'm sure they're not easily porting their titles over just to "bring games to a broader audience," they're doing it for money.
The thing with porting these games that you guys don't see is that by porting an older game, they literally didn't have to make a new Mario kart at all. They saved millions of dollars by spitting out their old title and everybody ate it up. If the game wasn't ported, we would've seen a NEW Mario Kart or 2D Mario title instead, it's not like they'd skip making a Mario Kart game on the Switch. It's lazy and yet everyone excuses this and talks about Nintendo being so much greater this generation when they've been putting the same, or less amount of effort actually developing software for their system. It's all the same stuff, just under better hardware.

Reactions: JAWS_XS

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just because other companies are doing it doesn't make it okay. Also, Playstation and Xbox will get like a new halo or walking dead or whatever, but they don't really have any exclusives to release each console generation.
Nintendo, on the other hand, is made up of exclusives. When people buy a new console from Nintendo, they expect to get all new releases from the main line series. There have been new Mario Kart titles with each console generation since the SNES, new 2D Mario titles on every console generation since the NES (except the GBA,) and so on, so new titles for a new console are expected. For the switch though, Nintendo just ported their old Wii U PowerPC titles to ARM, and slapped them onto the switch. It isn't really justified for Nintendo to do this, because if people wanted to play Wii U games, they'd buy a Wii U, and I'm sure they're not easily porting their titles over just to "bring games to a broader audience," they're doing it for money.
The thing with porting these games that you guys don't see is that by porting an older game, they literally didn't have to make a new Mario kart at all. They saved millions of dollars by spitting out their old title and everybody ate it up. If the game wasn't ported, we would've seen a NEW Mario Kart or 2D Mario title instead, it's not like they'd skip making a Mario Kart game on the Switch. It's lazy and yet everyone excuses this and talks about Nintendo being so much greater this generation when they've been putting the same, or less amount of effort actually developing software for their system. It's all the same stuff, just under better hardware.

omg a company made to make money.. is doing something wich is giving them money ? they are evil.... and no one doesnt just buy a wii u just for 2 or 3 games .. better to release on a popular system. and the switch does have new entries on the system like botw and mario odyssey.. even more considering that a new zelda.. metroid prime 4.. pokemon main series.. luigi mansion 3.. animal crossing..

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
not even close. 95% of the games they released were ports there was maybe 1 or 2 actual good games to play this year. they need to do better next year A LOT better. because i'll have a pro next yeart thanks to kh3 and if they switch doesn't approve a lot i'll just get rid of it. i'm tired of nintendo failing every gen.

oh whats that what about sx os no point having it when there are no games is there?!

and for homebrew/emus i have a shield tv for that. so at the moment i really have no need for a switch

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
D

Deleted User

Not many people played wiiu games or owned a wiiu. therefore it's fine to have ports from the previous console. It makes sense business wise, and also player base wise. What you may not think about is the fact the wiiu was failing, it cost money to develop the system. The gamepad was expensive as all hell at the time. And making games that was limited by the failing console. And it's not like they just slapped it onto fricken ARM. Because if they did, not only would they have not fixed mario kart 8 imperfect 60 frames. (it would share a single frame twice. So being more closer to 59 frames persecond.) They wouldn't have fixed battle mode. Add double items, add more characters. Fix fire hopping. And so on.
Now if they did it twice in a row. (port the same game. And I mean, identically or so close that it's practically inseparable, similar to mk8 Deluxe) Then we would have a problem, but they haven't. And what they have made so far, smash ultimate, Mario Odyssey, Zelda breath of the wild, Splatoon2 (which I do count as a separate game. Has too many differences from splatoon1.) Super Mario Party (May be short on boards. But thank god they are getting back on track)
is really good. And that's me excluding games that don't have as much appeal. (Tennis Aces, ARMS, snipperclips?)

Last edited by ,

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really, this is what Nintendo does (exclusives). It's the reason people are still buying Nintendo consoles, they've been "knocking it outta the park" for like 30 years with exclusives. The 3DS has been crushing it with first party remakes and originals for 8 years now, that's just the most recent.

Also, does nobody in the thread realize that BOTW was made for WiiU and ported to the Switch?

Edit: To be clear, I'm not a fan boy (well maybe I am now I guess). I grew up in the PlayStation Generation, I was a teen when PS1 came out and Sony distanced themselves from the "kiddy" consoles (ie Nintendo) and that branding stuck with me throughout. I've always owned several machines as I have been old enough to have a job throughout the golden age of gaming, so I've never really considered myself a fanboy of anything (the 360 was my go-to for many years) but none of my favorites have been Nintendo up til about 3 years into the 3DS (I did buy a DS Lite on launch day, but after I was done with metroid prime it got tossed in a drawer). It didn't take long owning a used 3DS before I got an XL then a N3DSXL. I've come back around and it's very obvious to me now that Nintendo is great at entertaining. I still use my (much maligned Wii U).

So I just don't think Nintendo is doing new or more special than usual. They're just doing what Nintendo does, and doing it well.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi, , Reason: more details
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their first year was extraoridinary in my opinion. This year has been slow but I'm expecting big things next year. I'd say Nintendo games are Nintendo games. Nintendo games remain excellent. People are upset by ports but honestly, I say bring them on. With the Switch, they have a unique opportunity. They're not just selling a new game console, they're selling a whole new way to play both new and old games however you want. Their only "knock out of the park" move was the idea of the Switch.

Reactions: Neo127 and Lubbo

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Clearly a lot of people here have become quite jaded when it comes to Nintendo, but they're definitely crushing it. Odyssey is up there with Sunshine and Galaxy, Let's Go is the best Pokemon Yellow remake I could've hoped for, and Smash Ultimate may finally compete with Melee for all-time fan favorite in the series. Not to mention public awareness of Switch is off the charts when it was in the toilet with Wii U just a few years ago.

I haven't played Party yet, but Mario Tennis Aces is as good as the series has ever been. As fun as MK8D if not more so.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The candy man can
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    Veho @ Veho: "You think we can just put the speakers at the top ?" "NO!"