1. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It should be noted that Nintendo's first party games are not full of game breaking bugs.

Memoir, TotalInsanity4, Xzi and 3 others like this.
  2. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    my dad is stronger than yours

3. DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Guess you never heard of the PSPgo? Or as I like to call it, the Sony SwitchStation 1

4. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    And Breath of the Wild too

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    GBA Temp members pissing on Nintendo as usual. Nothing to see here, move along.

Xzi, JinTrigger and Hanafuda like this.
  6. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Psycho!

United States

If the Switch reaches end-of-life without a new Mario Kart title, then you'll be right. They've got at least 5 years or so to prove you wrong though. In the meantime, we got an improved version of the game that didn't get the distribution it deserved in its original release on Wii U.

You say, "they're doing it for money," like there's something wrong with that. Being in business isn't a public service or obligation, it's a perpetually risky venture. Investments of time and effort need to be repaid with profits, or else the business fails. Nintendo invested massively in the Wii U's game catalog, but the needed financial return didn't happen because the public perceived deficiencies in the hardware platform. Whether consumers were right about that or not, I don't blame Nintendo for trying to get a proper return on their investment in these titles. I was one who never bought a Wii U, and appreciate now that improved versions of choice titles are being made available for Switch. It has enriched the Switch's early catalog, and given non-Wii U owners a second chance at titles we wanted but never bought because of the Wii U's uninspiring hardware. I'm hoping they give us a Pikmin 3 Deluxe soon.

Xzi likes this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Out of the park was the GBA and DS, and home console wise then I guess we would be going back to the SNES (though even there the megadrive/genesis beat it in various places and was a preview of things to come).

Game wise I am really not feeling the Switch. It might end up another gamecube, and that would only be because Sony and MS slipped and fumbled it this time around.

Can you think of a more deserving target?

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  8. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--

Germany
    The switch is a decent console, but barely the hit some make it out to be. The switch feels similar to the Wii in the sense that it doesn't really seem to compete in the same market as the other consoles (PS4/Xbone, PS3/360 respectively) but seems to be it's own, secluded market. Particularly now that no one else is in the portable/handheld gaming market other than Nintendo itself.

The list of exceptional titles (that were not already available on the Wii U) is also not that impressively large.

I guess the Wii would be more recent and technically wiped the floor with the 360/PS3 in terms of sales figures, but then again - it felt more like it was running outside the competition.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  9. IpponDatara

IpponDatara Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    I skipped the WiiU So I am fine with the ports.

Super Mario Oddyssey is the best Mario game since Mario 64.

BotW is a great game but you can see that it was developed for the WiiU. I’m excited to see a Zelda game developed for the Switch.

Super Mario Party is very solid but needs definitely more boards.

Pokémon looks beautiful but the lack of battles are a bummer for me.

The Indies are also a plus for me since i don’t have a pc. To be frank, there is many trash in the store. But you also got good indies like Don’t Starve.

Oh, and a new Dokapon Kingdom would be awesome for the Switch :)

Last edited by IpponDatara, Dec 11, 2018
  10. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--

Germany
    A lot of people did, that's why for a lot of people it seems like a knock out of the park. And that's fair, that's why the ports are not necessarily a bad thing. But for people who have had the Wii U, the switch feels a lot like a portable Wii U.

Super Mario Galaxy would like to have a word with you :)

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  11. mesakagi

mesakagi Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    yes I agree but it would be even better if they bring back miiverse T__T

12. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx GBAtemp Addict

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - The perfect JRPG for the Nintendo Switch. Wonderful Story

13. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Theirs no denying in general the Switch is doing really well this generation, even with third party support which is unusual for Nintendo.

Personally i'd say first party support is "ok", I owned a Wii U so a lot of releases I have been interested in have been a bit "meh" as i've played them years ago, then you have stuff like BOTW, Captain Toad, Mario Odyssey and Pokken Tournament that I have no interest in.

However that's ok! I didn't buy a Switch for the same reasons as a lot of people I suspect. I purchased the Switch for Pokemon and the Lets Go games are fantastic! I've not enjoyed a Pokemon Game this much since Omega Ruby, plus as someone who's out playing Pokemon Go all the time I really do like the connectivity between the games.

Smash Bros Ultimate should be great too, i'm getting that for Christmas so have not played it yet to comment.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is where i'm a bit disappointed, the main reason I got the Wii U was for Mario Kart 8, so it would have been nice to have loads of new circuits from past games to make this worth buying again at double the price, or at least worthy of the "Deluxe" title. I do feel Nintendo got lazy here.

Over all though I can't complain about the Switch at all, i'd have purchased one for Pokemon regardless, its a bonus my other two favourite Nintendo franchises are on the console.

With a new Pokemon game next year and Bayonetta 3 at some point, that's enough to keep me excited for the future of the Switch.

Last edited by InsaneNutter, Dec 11, 2018
  14. SomeGuy77

SomeGuy77 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    It really seems like their current teams are trying to relive the N64 days to me. Every game is like an echo of my childhood.

15. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Definitely, only adding a Pikmin 4 would be a disservice, as then I wouldn't be able to own all the Pikmin games without a Wii U. It's one of only two Nintendo consoles I don't think I'll ever bother buying, along with NES. The latter only because I wasn't old enough to get into gaming until SNES, though I do have fond memories of playing certain NES titles on Gameboy and at friends' houses.

(I'm not going to buy another Virtual Boy either, though I did own one of those at some point.)

Last edited by Xzi, Dec 31, 2018
  16. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    NES was before I was born and I still play it and wouldn’t mind getting a system. Atari though don’t care for it.

17. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Belgium
    -Personally i liked a hat in time way more as a 3d platformer.
    -Botw is a well, most die hard old skool Zelda fans and not being overly Nintendo fans didn't like Botw that much and liked the older way of playing Zelda games me including me.
    -Not a Smash fan myself since it is basically the same game over and over again every single generation with some graphical tweaks and a couple of add ons.
    -About Mario Kart i can't say much but i rather saw a newer Mario Kart instead of a port
    -Mario and Rabbids was actually super good and Ubisoft should get the credit for that and not Nintendo seeing they did most of the work regarding the game.

18. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Specific games are still kinda fun, but by now the ROMs are widely available through official and unofficial means. A lot of games on the system just frustrate the hell out of me, because it was a time before game design started to become more refined. Playing the original Megaman games long after being introduced to the series with Megaman X was hella rough. :lol:

Last edited by Xzi, Dec 31, 2018
  19. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Psycho!

United States

Great music though.

Xzi likes this.
  20. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    nintendo failed miserably with the switch last year lets see if they can redeem themselves this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - generation, Nintendo, knocking