Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

wycs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
After the talk about updating through OFW being a reason for ban (I don't believe it is) I went through the spreadsheet to narrow things down.

I removed everyone from the list who had been banned and had reportedly done/used the following: layered fs, installed nsp, cleared logs, played online with xci+cert. Then I cross referenced with the trimmed xci list and further removed people who had done that.

It's solely my opinion but I believe all of the above are definitely things Nintendo can/are tracking and banning for (currently).

After removing all of the above the list is left with only 13 people, only 2 of those updated via ofw. These two people also failed to fill in the report completely and are missing details on layered fs,nsp, trimmed xci, so they're reports are not reliable in my view.

Of the 13 remaining only 3 people on this list were playing with wifi deleted/airplane mode, however just about all of the 13 remaining do not have completely filled out data or contain contradictory data.

Reactions: Deleted User

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Updated Post using newer questions etc.: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/page-129#post-8350945

Ban? N
SX OS used? Y
Did you connect to the Internet with SX OS and/or to activate the license? Y (1 time accidentally, didn't play a game whilst online)
Did you play any .XCI files online with a certificate/header? N
Do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.1
Non-TX Layered FS Used? N
Did you connect to the Internet with a non-TX LayeredFS Inject? N
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? N

Used DevMenu? N
Installed any .NSP? N
Did you connect to the Internet w/ any .NSP installed? N
Did you play any .NSP installed online? N
Did you perform any CDN/Freeshop downloading with your own Switch's certificate? N
Backups updated? OFW
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y (No crashes, just used to backup saves)
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? N
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? N
AutoRCM? N
Did you update your firmware w/o burning fuses? N
Did you install the exFAT update offline? N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? Y

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? Y: 4.1.0 I think, I'm not 100% sure. Definitely not below 4.1.0
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? Y
Wi-Fi settings deleted? N
Airplane mode? Y
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Y
Can you login to Nintendo's website using your linked Nintendo Account? Y
Do you get error code 2137-7403 trying to update your system firmware? N

Console/Account Region(s) EU
Trimmed .XCI? Y

Been using SX OS since it's release pretty much. Every time I go into OFW I clear the logs with Hekate. I've been into OFW to update SX OS games or play non-backups online or use e-Shop maybe 10-20 times.

Last edited by fadx,
Reactions: Draxzelex

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
After the talk about updating through OFW being a reason for ban (I don't believe it is) I went through the spreadsheet to narrow things down.

I removed everyone from the list who had been banned and had reportedly done/used the following: layered fs, installed nsp, cleared logs, played online with xci+cert. Then I cross referenced with the trimmed xci list and further removed people who had done that.

It's solely my opinion but I believe all of the above are definitely things Nintendo can/are tracking and banning for (currently).

After removing all of the above the list is left with only 13 people, only 2 of those updated via ofw. These two people also failed to fill in the report completely and are missing details on layered fs,nsp, trimmed xci, so they're reports are not reliable in my view.

Of the 13 remaining only 3 people on this list were playing with wifi deleted/airplane mode, however just about all of the 13 remaining do not have completely filled out data or contain contradictory data.

You see, this kind of confirms what I've been suspecting since I got a Switch. Automated certificate checks and error logs is what this will all boil down to. Whether or not the console ever entered RCM and anything of that nature will be largely incidental.

The Trim thing is interesting because it means that the console firmware may be able to track the correct ROM size for each retail cartridge. That idea isn't wholly unfeasible either since the console will know when a user isn't booting the latest retail build of a game even when running in offline mode. That would also partially explain why users have been reportedly banned for patching an XCI with the certificate from a different game cartridge.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ban? N (Updated since the report 1 month ago)
SX OS used / Atmosphere at max / ReiNX at max / custom everything / flog custom nsp etc...? Y
Did you connect to the Internet with SX OS and/or to activate the license? N
Did you play any .XCI files online with a certificate/header? Y
Do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.1
Non-TX Layered FS Used? Y
Did you connect to the Internet with a non-TX LayeredFS Inject? Y
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? Y

Used DevMenu? Y (Even custom DevMenu.nsp)
Installed any .NSP? Y
Did you connect to the Internet w/ any .NSP installed? Y
Did you play any .NSP installed online? N
Did you perform any CDN/Freeshop downloading with your own Switch's certificate? N
Backups updated? OFW
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y (tones of crashed logs then just wipe out using nxdreport)
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? N
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? N
AutoRCM? N
Did you update your firmware w/o burning fuses? N
Did you install the exFAT update offline? N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? Y

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? 5.1, had ordinary errors and wiped them out then just online as usual.
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? Y
Wi-Fi settings deleted? N
Airplane mode? Y
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Y (OFW ofc)
Can you login to Nintendo's website using your linked Nintendo Account? Y
Do you get error code 2137-7403 trying to update your system firmware? N

Console/Account Region(s) AU
Trimmed .XCI? Y

Last edited by thaikhoa,

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
@BloodRose @wycs you Guys don’t think though that regular homebrew (RetroArch, etc) when it gives error logs, and they are not cleared, that that won’t be enough for a ban?

I think that will absolutely be the route to a ban and it's why Horizon based homebrew should be avoided right now if you want to use that console online without NAND wiping it.

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When the whole "pirating without an SX OS" was still new, I pirated Street Fighter II a few times. When I heard people started getting banned, I quickly formatted my Switch and made a completely new Nintendo account. I also removed any prior game cartridges. I haven't gotten banned and I can still use the eShop. I don't know if I can actually play online but DBFZ open beta is downloading now.

So maybe formatting works? Or I'm just lucky.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does factory resetting your device clear the error logs? I imagine so, so what does Nintendo do in those cases? If you go online and have a few legit error logs, then your internet gets turned off (or whatever) and can't connect, then you factory reset, it seems like that would look like the same thing to Nintendo. Unless clearing error logs deletes a file on the FS, in which case you'd just want to make sure you generate a fake legit one (enter incorrect wifi information and try to connect to wifi, etc.) before going back online.

See my above post

RobCat030

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the whole "pirating without an SX OS" was still new, I pirated Street Fighter II a few times. When I heard people started getting banned, I quickly formatted my Switch and made a completely new Nintendo account. I also removed any prior game cartridges. I haven't gotten banned and I can still use the eShop. I don't know if I can actually play online but DBFZ open beta is downloading now.

So maybe formatting works? Or I'm just lucky.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

See my above post

I know I've read that factory resetting does not clear error logs. But I think having dirtied up logs only matters on 5.0 or above. On a similar note, is it the same thing to initialize the console in the system settings and reset the console through recovery mode? One of them really should clear the entire user partition.

torange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AutoRCM to Hekate *Stock* (to avoid burned fuse updating from 4.1 to 5.1) for about 45 days now. Have not touched any horizon-level homebrew or modifications.

No ban still.

Also, I use SX Pro dongle to load hekate as a custom payload via RCM if battery depletes fully. Never once ran SX OS.

Nice dongle for this purpose, albeit overpriced.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this thread had a version counter, it would be up to V3.0 but enough about that, let's detail those changes!
  • TABLES! The most important change is replacing tons and tons of spoilers with easier to read tables, rows, and columns. Had I known these were a thing, I would have formatted OP that way but better late than never. I also reduced the wordiness of a lot of the descriptions so everyone can easily refer to this thread for a specific term or category as well as make reading it easier.
  • The link to the Google Doc Spreadsheet has been moved outside of the Tabs and is placed right on top of it. It's hard to miss.
  • In case you didn't notice, clearing error reports/logs is now considered 'blue' unless you cleared them on 5.X which will remain red until further notice.
  • Added a new poll but I didn't set a time limit because I think that messes up it being automatically removed or not so please vote if you have the chance!
  • Did I also mention there are tables now?

NemRe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my case I'm clear why I was banned, I used the first version of LayeredFS -a few months ago-...

For the next Switch I will not try everything so fast come out (although I almost do not to play online, I don't want to be banned so easily).

jarl7

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ban? No
SX OS used? Yes
Did you connect to the Internet with SX OS and/or to activate the license? Yes
Did you play any .XCI files online with a certificate/header? No
Do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? No
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.4
Non-TX Layered FS Used? NO
Did you connect to the Internet with a non-TX LayeredFS Inject? NO
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? NO

Used DevMenu?
Kinda, i installed the dlcs for xenoblade 2, but then i thought that would be the most obvious flag ever and deleted the files before opening the game.
Installed any .NSP? Yes, for a moment as stated above.
Did you connect to the Internet w/ any .NSP installed? Yes, i update Fire emblem warriors while xenoblade was installed.
Did you play any .NSP installed online? No
Did you perform any CDN/Freeshop downloading with your own Switch's certificate? No
Backups updated? CFW/OFW/Both/ Yes, all my games using sx os.
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? No
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? No
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? No
AutoRCM? TX/Hekate/Both/ Yes
Did you update your firmware w/o burning fuses? No
Did you install the exFAT update offline? No, went online for that.
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? No

Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? Yes
Wi-Fi settings deleted? No.
Airplane mode? No
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? No
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Eshop is not available in my country, but i can still access it to enter game codes and i don't get any error codes.
Can you login to Nintendo's website using your linked Nintendo Account? Yes
Do you get error code 2137-7403 trying to update your system firmware? NO

Console/Account Region(s) America
Trimmed .XCI? Yes, most of my files were trimmed.
Additional Comments

I have an original copy of Mario Kart 8 and whenever i wanna play i just switch to original firmware. So far i have been playing online without any problems.

Just a small clarification as there is a debate about it: I updated all my backups in CUSTOM FIRMWARE.

I don't think Nintendo has started to ban people for either updating in ofw or cfw yet. They might have the data but so far it's clear they are not using it.

Last edited by jarl7,

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be a stupid question but how come there is cfw already and yet nobody has sniffed the console's traffic to find out what it is sending to nintendo?

mehmet-efe61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Might be a stupid question but how come there is cfw already and yet nobody has sniffed the console's traffic to find out what it is sending to nintendo?

Because the data that the switch sends is mostly encrypted.

You can read SciresM's analysis here:
reddit com /r/SwitchHacks/comments/8rxg26/psa_strong_antipiracy_measures_implemented_by/ (sorry, I can't post links yet)

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the data that the switch sends is mostly encrypted.

You can read SciresM's analysis here:
reddit com /r/SwitchHacks/comments/8rxg26/psa_strong_antipiracy_measures_implemented_by/ (sorry, I can't post links yet)
I am talking about mitm the ssl requests (which maybe sciresm did?). All that that analysis lists is the nintendo's side of online auth security.

It would be much easier to find out what console-sided actions/data are making devices get banned when going online if we knew what it is sending to nintendo while online, since that would make it easier to find what cfws need to patch on the os.

Last edited by Pachee, , Reason: typo

ssmatt

Trophies
XP
Country
Ban? - N
SX OS used? - Y
Did you connect to the Internet with SX OS and/or to activate the license? -Y
Did you play any .XCI files online with a certificate/header? - N
Do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? - N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? - The lowest presumably. Had it since basically launch
Non-TX Layered FS Used? - N
Did you connect to the Internet with a non-TX LayeredFS Inject? - N
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? - N

Used DevMenu? - Y
Installed any .NSP? - N
Did you connect to the Internet w/ any .NSP installed? - N
Did you play any .NSP installed online? - N
Did you perform any CDN/Freeshop downloading with your own Switch's certificate? - N
Backups updated? CFW/OFW/Both/N - Yes All updated to current using Nintendo's Servers
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? - Y
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? - Y
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? - N
AutoRCM? - Y
Did you update your firmware w/o burning fuses? - N
Did you install the exFAT update offline? - N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? - N

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? - N
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? - N
Wi-Fi settings deleted? - N
Airplane mode? - Mostly unless I update or play legit game nline
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? - N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? - Y
Can you login to Nintendo's website using your linked Nintendo Account? - Y
Do you get error code 2137-7403 trying to update your system firmware? - N

Console/Account Region - UK
Trimmed .XCI? - Mostly no

Additional Comments

I'm curious if anyone in the UK is banned. I don't know if some Nintendo regional depts are less strict than others, but I'm wondering.

Indominusda1e

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ban? - N
SX OS used? - Y
Did you connect to the Internet with SX OS and/or to activate the license? -Y
Did you play any .XCI files online with a certificate/header? - N
Do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? - N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? - The lowest presumably. Had it since basically launch
Non-TX Layered FS Used? - N
Did you connect to the Internet with a non-TX LayeredFS Inject? - N
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? - N

Used DevMenu? - Y
Installed any .NSP? - N
Did you connect to the Internet w/ any .NSP installed? - N
Did you play any .NSP installed online? - N
Did you perform any CDN/Freeshop downloading with your own Switch's certificate? - N
Backups updated? CFW/OFW/Both/N - Yes All updated to current using Nintendo's Servers
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? - Y
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? - Y
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? - N
AutoRCM? - Y
Did you update your firmware w/o burning fuses? - N
Did you install the exFAT update offline? - N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? - N

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? - N
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? - N
Wi-Fi settings deleted? - N
Airplane mode? - Mostly unless I update or play legit game nline
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? - N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? - Y
Can you login to Nintendo's website using your linked Nintendo Account? - Y
Do you get error code 2137-7403 trying to update your system firmware? - N

Console/Account Region - UK
Trimmed .XCI? - Mostly no

Additional Comments

I'm curious if anyone in the UK is banned. I don't know if some Nintendo regional depts are less strict than others, but I'm wondering.
I'm in the UK and I've been banned for a couple of weeks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What a weird game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I wanted to see shards of the titanic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I kept thinking jaws was gonna come up and attack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Jaws is on a diet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn power went out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok xdqwerty, your little bro prob tripped On the cord and unplugged you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ya I'm afraid of the dark hug me
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Grab and hold close your AncientBoi doll.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn didn't charge my external battery either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Take the batteries out of your SuperStabber3000... Or is it gas powered?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I stole batteries from your black mamba
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My frozen food better hold up for an hour I know that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else gonna be a big lunch and dinner tomorrow.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you pay your power bill? Or give all yo money to my wife, again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good the estimated time is the same exact time they just said
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Load up your pc and monitor, and head to a McDonalds dining room, they have free WiFi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please watch your porn in the bathroom
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No sir we can not sell you anymore apple pies, after what you did with the last one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We ran out
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    for your life
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/2n3nUOadWxM?si=7QMANPmqPdFcdlfm