Nintendo states that they're looking to set the standard for the next generation of game controllers

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    they just need to remake the wavebird that's all it will take

2. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Why not f# recall or issue a version of the JoyCon with an analog pad that does not self-destruct in less than a year? Would be cool huh...

3. Justeego

Justeego Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2017
    Italy
    Like I said before GCC layout is ok, it's not the best but far from terrible.
    my experience:
    NES:ok it's the first, credit for inventing dpad
    SNES: the peak of the Nintendo golden age, refinement and perfection of digital control
    N64: design is horrible, still has the credit of pioneering analog stick, low quality stick didn't age well
    GCC: design is right, analog stick on top is very good and a step forward compared to Sony, analog triggers are nice, layout is ok. The problem here is the lack of buttons, Dual Analog during previous generation did set the bar, why there is not left shoulder button? Only one start button?
    Wii: I see what they were looking for, they achieved it, the problem here is still the lack of buttons (the use of motions to replace buttons is the worst thing could happen and people still hate motion controls to this day because of this) and the worst offender is the lack of right stick, this limited gameplay too much.
    Wii Classic/Classic Pro: why did I need to connect them to wiimote? Ok they are cheap to produce but I'd like a premium controller with Bluetooth, IR and motion controls included
    Wii U: bulky, heavy and distracting (while fun to watch gamepad it's distracting)
    Wii U Pro Controller: very good, the best Nintendo Controller out there, wtf why no motion controls? (Splatoon)
    Joycon: very nice for a portable device, very nice to split them and play coop (very good if buy handles), feels like a cheap Chinese controller when playing dock, soon or later all sticks develop drifting
    Switch Pro Controller: very good, the best Nintendo Controller out there, why the company that invented dpad had made the worst one ever?

Last edited by Justeego, Jul 7, 2019
    Silent_Gunner likes this.
  4. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    interesting how you just choose to forget the good ones...

+nes controller was great for its day

+Snes controller was amazing it even added shoulder buttons and 6 buttons controller right of the bat on home console was amazing.

-n64 was crap hands down sure it was the first to have the analog stick we all got nowadays but you couldnt acess all of the buttons at any time unless you had 3 hands, sure they hanted like diferent style controlls like arcade and such but its only good thing imo was the analog stick that brook ery easily too.

+Gc controller is one of the best there is a reason that every console got gc adapters after the gc, to this day the gc contoller still fells better in my hands than any ps or xbox controllers, if it had 4 standard shoulder buttons imo nintendo should have made it their standard one

-wiimote sucked big time yes and the nunchucks and such were crap.

+/- wii classic controller/classip pro controller i mean classic one was great for old shool games with the big dpad and round small shape but crap for modern games while classic pro was decent overal but very poor stick values and lost analog triggers.

+/-wiiu gamepad awnful batery life and bulky, but i still use it to this day to play any wiiugame like handheld and i like it so im thorn here.

+wiiu pro controller, altough both analogs are on top this controller is great, amazing dpad confortable to hold and a massive 80 hours battery life, you cant compete with that.

+/- switch joycons i mean in portable mode they do what they are suposed to do imo, and the ability to do 2 players on a go is good but yeah they can be improved but they arent awnful, on docked mode they are preety crapy tough the grip and joycons just dont look or feel very good imo

+switch pro controller filled with tech from hd rumble, gyro, good batery life, good to hold, i mean i dont know anyone who ever said anything bad about this one ever excpt from being pricey i guess.

So yeah nintendo did some great ones
    nes,snes,Gc,wiiu pro and switch pro

some bad
    n64,wiimote+nunchuck

and some that have their ups and downs
    wiiu gamepad,wii classic controller/pro.

overal they did better good ones than bad ones, and for the wiiu and switch the pro controllers works in almost 99% of the games of the system and mitigate the default ones fails imo.

Last edited by pedro702, Jul 6, 2019
  5. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    Just make the Wii U Pro controller again and give it analog triggers.

DarthDub likes this.
  6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    great one but i think switch pro is better :P, but for me the cube controller remade with 4 shoulder buttons and 2 actual analog sticks would kick its ass :P

7. StupidGamer1

StupidGamer1 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2010
    United States
    Pay no mind to this poster. All he ever does is whine and complain about Nintendo,their systems,games,hardware etc. Retro boy also feels Sony and Mircrosoft is flawless about everything in every way. Feels they have no faults..according to him anyway. Retro boy also fails to see that Sony and Microsoft fail to do anything different and play it safe. Nintendo at least tries to do something different. Now, that statement makes me look like a fan boy. Seeing how I am a PC dominant gamer, I have respect for the switch for what it does which is bring gaming everywhere and anywhere with you. Sure battery life leaves a LOT of be desired but if you get a nice enough power bank you can achieve 6 hours or more depending on the amount of battery can hold in terms of power. In closing,Retro boy's opinion is his own and holds little to no merit and PC beats the living $*(t out his precious soyny (censorship happy) with their RIP OFF wii mote speaker and RIP off track pad. PC/Switch is my choice for gaming. That's all.

8. wiindsurf

wiindsurf Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2019
    New Zealand
    Controllers are human interface devices where comfort and familiarity play a crucial role. Noone wants to learn how a keyboard and mouse work everytime they sit in front of a new computer from a different manufacturer. I just want to have the same comfortable interaction with a comfortable controller from my comfortable couch and please leave me alone.
    Sure innovativion is great, and the Wii remote did great things, but I personally think the Wii would have been an even greater success with an even wider uptake by both players and dev companies if they had simply included a classic controller in the box? Surely it wouldn't have cost them much and it would have given the Wii the best of both worlds.
    By not including one, they were trying to make a statement that the Wii was different, yet failing to realise there is a section of the gaming market who doesn't want "different" and that's not gonna change no matter how much candy you throw at them.
    Nintendo unfortunately tries so hard to innovate it sometimes becomes blind to the beauty in the simpler and familiar things...

Last edited by wiindsurf, Jul 6, 2019
    skullskullskull likes this.
  9. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    well the wii oustold ps3 and xbox360 so techneically they were right lol it made them win that console war :P even tough the console is full of shovelware, no hd and so on.

10. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I can see you crying when last of us 2 is released

11. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    I don't really like the Switch Pro, I prefer the top symmetric sticks of the Wii U Pro. The size was also perfect for my hands.

DarthDub likes this.
  12. StupidGamer1

Jun 30, 2010
    United States
    I hated the first one,what makes you think I'll like the 2nd game?

13. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I don't want to go off topic in this thread but don't be a sony hater as they hav done wonders since the ps1 days

14. skullskullskull

skullskullskull Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    I thought the semi modular wii controller was a neat idea. It gave devs more flexibility with input devices and was a great way to transition to wireless controllers, especially for old people. You had one thing that you paired with the wii once and then just plugged stuff into that.

Did not like that the lack of buttons and everything having motion controls because of the lack of buttons though.

15. gbAlfei

gbAlfei Newbie

Newcomer
    May 13, 2019
    United States
    Kansas City, MO
    The point isn't that they make the best controllers, but rather that when they change something, they change it. The big changes that they've made have all stayed in the industry. The N64's analog stick, the NES' D-Pad, the SNES' shoulder buttons, the Wii's motion controlled gaming, in a way. Also, how have you gone through three pairs of joycons? I've only gone through a single joycon and that was because my dog chewed it to pieces

16. StupidGamer1

Jun 30, 2010
    United States
    keep believing that *claps* sony fanboys are such cancer *rolls eyes*

17. UltraDolphinRevolution

UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Fan

Jul 30, 2016
    China
    Wiimote is the best due to the pointer.

banjo2 likes this.
  18. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    tbh, if if I had to choose between the controllers available in the gen I would pick xbox's controller despite not like the xbox at all. perticularly cause it's the same as the modern standard ninetendo controller. I prefer it over the dual shock do to the button placement. I do however swing more towards nintendo's controllers as the accept and cancel buttons feel backwards on the other controllers

19. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Nope, it's the worst of all. It's good for playing Smash Bros and nothing else.

Those were the absolute best for their time.

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Among the mainstream I would probably take a 6 button megadrive one over the SNES offering. Outside the mainstream then there were devices with microswitched controllers. Going back earlier for my C64 I had a nice joystick pad thing that was great.

Similarly if we are doing for the time then we presumably get to also include arcades and that makes beating even more likely.