Nintendo states that they're looking to set the standard for the next generation of game controllers

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 6, 2019.

Front-page
    Rq5ZaOQ.

The Nintendo 64 gamepad. The Wiimote. The Joy-Cons. When it comes to controllers, Nintendo has never shied away from devising wild and unique ideas for their devices. That's why it got rather interesting during the latest shareholder's meeting, where Nintendo was asked about their thoughts for the future of gaming controllers.

Nintendo's supervisor of business development, Shinya Takahashi, responded by saying Nintendo has been innovating how people play games, with titles like 1-2-Switch, and the Nintendo Labo VR kits.

Shigeru Miyamoto then took the opportunity to reply, stating that Nintendo has set industry trends for decades, with the advent of the original D-pad and analog stick for the NES and N64 respectively. He also says that Nintendo is in the process of creating a controller that surpasses the current design of the Joy-Cons, and can be used with ease, making for something to set the standard for the next generation of systems.

:arrow: Source (Q13)

Discussion (149 replies)
  1. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Joycon button d-pad is like playing with a keyboard. :P

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Only good Nintendo controller is the GCN.

NES and SNES are good for their time.

3. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    HONESTLY excluding GC controller, all others are mheeee, especially the N64 one, terrible idea to put analog stick in the middle far from left thumb.

4. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    I hope one of the new "standard" features is excellent battery life. Almost all the new Nintendo controllers have the best battery life among controllers, especially the Pro controllers.

WiiFit_Guy, Imatra, DarthDub and 3 others like this.
  5. CrisFTW

CrisFTW GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    The pro controller but split it in half like the joycons and boom. Joycons with a nice grip

2Hack, Justeego and Dartz150 like this.
  6. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 28, 2015
    Nintendo suck when it comes to controllers.

N64: Crap analogue that youd be afraid to even touch it without it getting slacker than a hookers minge.
    CUBE; Actually good controller to hold, but having the octagon shape around your analogues never gave it that smooth 360 control and feel
    WIIMOTE: Worse controller ever, old inferior tech, failed to do what nintendo promised (tho one game i knew of did)
    WIIU PAD: Another shit controller, too big, bulky
    SWITCH: cheap crap, ive gone through 3 pairs of these already because they dont attach to the tablet properly and the control goes haywire.

yes nintendo are known for always changing shit, but rule is, if its not broke then dont fucking fix it.

nintendo should look at setting standards for its next gen console not some bullshit gimmick controller.

7. Frankbel

Frankbel GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2004
    Italy
    Messina
    In that case there is a central handle.. lol
    N64 controller introduced analogue sticks and rumble. The tri-handle design was also fine for both digital cross and analogue sticks.

8. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    The funny thing about the GCN is as much as we all praise it (me included), it still sucks in placement for the d-pad/c-stick. Honestly, I've yet to see any controller that does it perfectly, although the XBox 360+ controllers (and variants like Logitech's that swap the dpad/analog stick) come pretty close.

air2004 and banjo2 like this.
  9. Ericzander

Ericzander ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pip Contributor
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    Honestly, I don't see why. The reason why Sony and Microsoft only make minor controller improvements with each update without completely starting from scratch is because there's no reason to fix a problem that isn't there.

A kid who grew up only playing PS4 needs probably 2 minutes to adjust to playing a PS1. But a kid who only played on the Switch or Wii U would have to take some time to figure out how to play GameCube or Wii or N64 (anything earlier doesn't count for the comparison because that's pre PS1.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Nintendo is innovating. But I don't think they're going to set a new industry standard any time soon.

10. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    2017 -> worst idea to delete d-pad

lincruste likes this.
  11. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    like everyone else here.
    if isn't broken, don't fix it. if you really want to change something just stick with the dualshock/360 as a base and make only minor adjustments.

chaoskagami likes this.
  12. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    No idea what you do to them, still with my first pairs.

13. yadspi

yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    People complaining about the N64 controller and analog stick without remembering that there was no precedent for a layout with analog sticks and nintendo wanted a SNES style grip is it failed to catch on, that's why it's very comfortable to use it for 2D games. Of course NOW it seems dumb because you have been playing with modern controllers.

14. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Aug 24, 2017
    Poland
    Browser’s Castle
    I hope the new controller won’t be as shitty as the joycons

Wiki'd, wiewiec and NoNAND like this.
  15. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Woah, someone's salty... Well first of all, the GCN controller. The octagon shape was actually pretty nice. You always knew which direction you were going. It was very handy on some games. The Wiimote. I don't see why you're calling it bad when it was designed for motion in mind. That's why there's the classic controller or using the GCN controllers for games that didn't require the Wiimote. The Wii U Gamepad. Yeah, that was... Meh. Didn't mind it much but they could've done better. The Switch Joycons. Nothing is wrong with them. Are you looking after them properly? I always put them in my Switch once I'm done with them. You could've saved a lot of money just by getting the parts that are faulty. (Analog sticks mostly being the culprit.) I'm still using the joy-cons that came with the console. Which was on launch day. March 3rd 2017 and I've only had to replace my analog sticks once. Never had a problem with attaching them.

16. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Honestly, as long as the Dualshock is the only controller with symmetric joysticks it's going to be the standard for me.

Wiki'd, Pipistrele and Sono like this.
  17. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    wiimote is the worst controller they ever released. It's the biggest obstacle when I was trying to enjoy super mario galaxy and most of wii games. casual gamers may like it, but I totally hate it.

18. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    What kind of drugs were the on when they thought of the 64 controller

19. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Joy Cons are bad for people with big hands. Nintendo knows how to tell you who their products are for.

Wiki'd likes this.