Nintendo states that they're looking to set the standard for the next generation of game controllers

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook Nintendo, I'm sure you will, just like allll your other controllers in the last 20 years have totally become the "standard".

Oh wait...

Only controllers Nintendo has made that's been remotely good the last decade have been their Pro controllers...which they basically just copy-pasted from the 360's design, and even those have their issues (c'mon Nintendo, digital triggers? Really?).

2. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 28, 2015
    loyal fans, do i look after my shit, yes, i have consoles dating back to dawn of man in mint condition.

the joycons are dirty cheap and dont even attach to the console securely, as for the GC yes if your playing a game where you ping and pong from one to the other, but sorry its a 3d game, you run in smooth motion not jaggy like the cube would.

my analogues on the switch are what always fuck up, i dont even need to touch them and the fucker runs like ape shit.

so yes, back to the point nintendo need to stop fucking about with bull shit controllers, we dont give a fuck, we want a console that can actually perform, we are sick of seeing cheap bullshit just so you can take lead with your same recycled shit and your titles get majority of the market because 3rd party devs see little profit to be made dedicating its shit.

exactly why we see yet again another old port whore and for what, a sodding controller.

sod that.

RedBlueGreen likes this.
  3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    incoming gimmick...probably a controller made out of cardboard :lol:

wiewiec likes this.
  4. andyhappypants

andyhappypants Pika!

Jul 27, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hoenn
    The SNES controller is my favourite controller of all time, Closely followed by the 2nd gen Saturn controller :)

zeveroth and cvskid like this.
  5. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    The fuck do you do to your poor controllers? Mine rocks? The joycons are just fine, my launch ones still work like brand new.
    I used to have a friend who would have fits of salty baby rage and slam his controllers repeatedly on the ground. I assume that's why yours break so "easily".

DarthDub, xs4all and medoli900 like this.
  6. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I for one find as bulky as it was the 3D controller the saturn made way better for 3D + 2D games. The original xbox controller was more based on the 3D controller sega did as it's almost entirely the same layout and shape and size as the duke.
    saturn, duke.

Last edited by kumikochan, Jul 6, 2019
    yadspi likes this.
  7. MK73DS

MK73DS Non-commutative algebra

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    *Thumb collision intensifies*

guisadop likes this.
  8. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    This is absolutely about finding the next Wiimote if you can't read between the lines. They see the absurd numbers mobile is putting up now and want those casuals back badly. It's not about placating most of us here that grew up with "real" controllers.

Silent_Gunner and chartube12 like this.
  9. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    And like a year later Sony did the perfect controller with 2 amazing analogue sticks that "sticked" up to PS3 Dual Shock 3 :). The Dual Shock 4 changed quite a bit their design that it no longer looks the same as the other dual shock family...

But still my favourite controllers are all the Xbox controllers and Dreamcast controller...

10. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Yeah the SNES pad was amazing at the time, and still holds up well now! The GC pad was not designed for larger hands, and the dpad has to be one of the worst placements ever (I refuse to play Smash with anything else though!). The N64 like has been said just worked at the time, gets more flak than it deserves.

...But this news.... I'll put a tenner on us all unanimously pissing ourselves laughing when we see the first shot of it.

11. diggeloid

diggeloid Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    Lay off the salt man. It's not healthy.

What would you need full 360 degree motion on the GCN c-stick? It's tiny, and there are only two triggers with no bumpers, which limits what you can do while you have your thumb on the c-stick. The controller clearly wasn't designed for playing Call of Duty, but it works great for a lot of games that used it properly.

And if you want a "powerful" console, why not get a PS4, Xbox, or even better a PC? I get Nintendo consoles for the Nintendo games, which work perfectly fine with Nintendo hardware.

medoli900 likes this.
  12. Kraken_X

Kraken_X Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2018
    United States
    The N64 controller is actually the best controller for 2d games, with almost the exact same full-sized d-pad as the SNES controller, but slightly recessed for added comfort. Few people know that because the N64 itself only had one game where you held the controller with your left hand on the d-pad and your right hand on the buttons (Miscief Makers). If you plug it into a PC though, you can freely remap buttons and see the controller's true power.

The third prong on the bottom rests gently on your stomach if you recline and holds the controller for you. The c-buttons can easily function as the standard ABXY face buttons, but the actual A and B can also be used if it's a game with primary two input buttons, which is many of them. Few 2D games require as many buttons as the N64 controller has, so it's easy to map special functions like state save to the remaining buttons. I'm currently playing Bloodstained with it, and it's such a treat compared to the Xbone controller. I wish I could play Mario Maker with it because the Switch classic controller has one of the worst D-pads Nintendo has made, and the joycons are even worse.

Unfortunately, with one analog stick it's really bad for first person and third person games, so most people just remember how bad it was to play GoldenEye with it, not how great it was to play Super Mario World or Mega Man X.

Last edited by Kraken_X, Jul 6, 2019
    Justeego likes this.
  13. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    I honestly don't get why people like the ngc controller so much. the face button layout sucks.

14. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    Joy-cons are poor mans Wii-motes

all they had to do is make the wii-motes better...and screw the D pad and drifting analog sticks

RedBlueGreen and zeveroth like this.
  15. AkitoTheHedgy

AkitoTheHedgy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    United States
    What if its the Gamecube controller but remade. Like the analog sticks are more 360 like, and it has l and r buttons.

16. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    You guys are thinking way too small time. Nintendo is obviously going to go with haptic feedback suits.

DarthDub and zeveroth like this.
  17. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Credit to nintendo for trying to be innovative with ther controllers but end of the day nothing beats the ps controllers for ease of use and Comfort and does the job needed

18. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    People who think that the N64 controller wasn't ahead of its time apparently don't remember the original PSX controller with zero analog sticks. Nintendo has almost always been ahead of the curve, including with the Wiimotes, which inspired PS Move and now VR controllers.

19. Potato Paste

Potato Paste Advanced Member

Jul 28, 2014
    United States
    N64: The first controller to have analog (hold of atarifans) and pinoneered 3D movement with Super Mario 64
    GCN: Octagon shape that makes it know which direction you are pressing. Perferred by MANY speedruners and smash players
    Wii Mote: Super Mario Galaxy with the pointer. Trama Center with the pointer. Has cool connector to have mutiple different complements (nunchuck, classic controller, motion plus). Was so good, sony and microsoft copied the concept.
    Switch: idk wtf ur doing with ur joycons. You know theres a button to remove it from the switch. you must be one of those people who just yank it off.

casual gamer konfirmed

DarthDub and MK73DS like this.
  20. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez XFlak Fanboy

GBAtemp Patron
    DeadlyFoez is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    What they need to do is to make a controller that is purely just a touch screen. Sony has a patent on a method to make touch screens actually feel like that have physical buttons on them.