Nintendo states that they're looking to set the standard for the next generation of game controllers

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Ehh, no thank you. Might as well just allow smartphones to work as controllers at that point.

Sounds like haptic feedback zones, but those can be added to physical buttons too. Touchscreen controls are never going to feel quite right.

Last edited by Xzi, Jul 6, 2019
  2. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    The Wii Classic controller doesn't get enough love.

3. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    saying it now, it's gonna be a glove with accessories to hold (basically shells with no electronics in them) for different playstyles

every finger has a potential function changing depending on whatever you hold for normal play and it'll be vr compatible.

screenshot this and give me a like in 2021.

4. Hambrew

Hambrew GBAtemp Regular

Oct 9, 2018
    United States
    ew we have a melee player here xddd

5. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I'll give you a like now, I'm 100% ready for a Power Glove v2. Slap a touchscreen, a couple physical buttons, and a D-pad on the wrist of that bad boy, and you've got a winner.

6. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    At least Nintendo tries. The only controller of theirs I don't care for is the SNES controller. It was alright for the time, but it just didn't age well. The N64 controller I grew up on, so I guess that's why I'm used to it. Sonys controllers are awkwardly wide and the sticks never feel right. Microsoft I feel perfected it with the One controllers.

Nintendo wants to shake things up, and did for a little bit with the Wii. Sony and Microsoft threw their proverbial hats in to the ring and could not compete. That says something. Anybody bashing Nintendo is a bit short sighted in my honest opinion.

DarthDub, medoli900 and Xzi like this.
  7. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I gotta disagree with that, the SF30Pro from 8BitDo is my go-to for 2D/indie games. If R1/L1 were a little wider, it would be my favorite controller for everything since the sticks basically have the same positioning as PS4 controllers. Maybe it's only because SNES was my first console, but I'd rate the layout as my favorite from Nintendo, just barely in front of the GCN controller.

Last edited by Xzi, Jul 6, 2019
    Memoir and yadspi like this.
  8. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    I actually dislike GC controller, but modern controllers mostly have form of Xbox controller, even Nintendo copied it to Pro controllers. I do not know what features next Nintendo controller should have, but idea with Joy-Cons without d-pad wasn't good choice... shame that hori made their joy-con without battery.

9. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

GBAtemp Patron
    medoli900 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    The GC controller was made primarily for Platformer games. A big jump button, a smaller attack/sub-action button, and two extra action/camera control button. It is intuitive. The only reason the modern cross shaped face button layout might feel intuitive for us is because we grew with it. My parent still has issues with PlayStation and Xbox game because of the unintuitive controller (all the button are the same shape and size, so they have to constantly look down on the controller to know which button to press).

10. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    I can see that, I spose. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy my time with the SN30 Pro controller. Just waiting for the Plus version. If it ever comes. I've been spoiled by handles. Nevermind, I'm snagging another one. :v I hate you. :rofl2:

Last edited by Memoir, Jul 6, 2019
    Xzi likes this.
  11. diggeloid

diggeloid Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    Made out of toilet paper, to go with your Labo VR headset.

12. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Ia been since 2001 that Nintendo made a decent controller? Damn.

Also, notice how the classic controller for the Wii is not included, not is the Pro Switch controller.

13. Justeego

Justeego Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2017
    Italy
    CUBE: while it might not feel smooth inputs are very precise
    WIIMOTE: they were good for games that didn't require a lot of inputs, the lack of right stick was the limit
    SWITCH: they are very good if you consider them as portable controllers for a portable console
    Joycon drift develops very easily but it's cheap to replace
    While symmetric sticks makes the controller nicer, the upper right stick is more comfortable
    I don't think it's bad, I think the real problem is the lack of right stick and accessible buttons (replacing buttons with motions was a very bad idea)
    it is good if you try it, buttons are very big and easy to press, most games don't use all combinations of face press buttons, diamond shape is superior but GCC style isn't bad either

Halfshadow likes this.
  14. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    I honestly don't get why people liked the Playstation controllers. They were awkward to hold and the sticks were not comfortable. The gamecube controller is easily the most comfortable one to hold. The button layout makes sense if you consider the fact that not every game consistently utilizes all four face buttons. Unless you play a ton of tony hawk..

DarthDub likes this.
  15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    just don't get kicked in the nuts in the game :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Jul 6, 2019
  16. specht

specht GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2008
    Canada
    Well, even back then my first instinct was to hold the controller by the sides. They even put instructions for how to hold it in the manual. But yeah many don't realize that most N64 games didn't use the d-pad or L button or just made them do the same thing as the C buttons and R. There are odd games that stick out like Pokemon Stadium that were designed around holding the sides and just didn't use the stick outside of minigames.

The 3D controller for Sega Saturn came out the same year and it had a better design overall imo. At least on the outside it has a closer resemblance to the sticks used on the DualShock. Rare even used them for testing their N64 games.

17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Yeah pending some kind of sci fi gloves that sense microscopic movements and and simulate resistance and apparent weight, or brain stem input to do much the same, I am not expecting much.

Personally I would be happy enough with 360 style triggers, bumpers, some buttons and a nice clunking micro switch dpad that feels good if we must do general purpose controllers. If we have mice available then there are a few more options. If someone does want to chuck in a screen they can send electricity to so as to raise bumps or something to function as custom buttons then I am OK with that too.

18. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Shiggy was allowed to design one piece of hardware and gave us that turd. And he designed it for Mario 64... And literally nothing else.

Then again, this is the same company thay deliberately sheltered the wiiu hardware developers and designers to the point they didn't even know thay xbox live and psn were a thing.

19. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Some of my favourite game genres don't really work with the classic dual analog controllers so I welcome all attempts at something new. That being said, Nintendo has a history of taking good ideas and then not developing them enough to actually work. A lot of their recent attempts have been half-baked. I am not holding my breath.

20. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    Hot take: Gamecube controller is comfy, but button layout is kinda horrible