Nintendo states that they're looking to set the standard for the next generation of game controllers

Rq5ZaOQ.png

The Nintendo 64 gamepad. The Wiimote. The Joy-Cons. When it comes to controllers, Nintendo has never shied away from devising wild and unique ideas for their devices. That's why it got rather interesting during the latest shareholder's meeting, where Nintendo was asked about their thoughts for the future of gaming controllers.

Looking at this year's E3, it seems like the mainstream for video games is the same as it has been for the past 30 years, namely, looking at the screen and playing with controller in hand. How do developers regard this, and do they think it will continue?

Nintendo's supervisor of business development, Shinya Takahashi, responded by saying Nintendo has been innovating how people play games, with titles like 1-2-Switch, and the Nintendo Labo VR kits.

We are always dreaming up new things. For example, for 1-2-Switch, the first game released for Nintendo Switch, we suggested that people play by looking at each other and not at the screen. And for VR, we thought about how we could change not just the controller but also the gameplay itself, and came up with the Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit. The software exhibited at this year's E3 just happened to be mostly the type that is played with controller in hand, looking at the screen. However, I think you can see from the software we've created that we are always trying out new ideas.

Shigeru Miyamoto then took the opportunity to reply, stating that Nintendo has set industry trends for decades, with the advent of the original D-pad and analog stick for the NES and N64 respectively. He also says that Nintendo is in the process of creating a controller that surpasses the current design of the Joy-Cons, and can be used with ease, making for something to set the standard for the next generation of systems.

Nintendo was the first to create the style of playing video games with a plus-shaped directional pad and additional buttons, which has now become the industry standard. It was also Nintendo that changed the original plus-shaped directional pad, which operated digitally in eight directions, into the first analog input device that moves freely in all directions for Nintendo 64. This, too, is now common. We are proud to have created a variety of user interfaces that have now become industry standards.

And, as of now, in terms of accuracy and reliability, I believe this style is the clear winner. At the same time, I also believe that we should quickly graduate from the current controller, and we are attempting all kinds of things. Our objective is to achieve an interface that surpasses the current controller, where what the player does is directly reflected on the screen, and the user can clearly feel the result. This has not been achieved yet. We have tried all kinds of motion controllers, but none seem to work for all people. As the company that knows the most about controllers, we have been striving to create a controller that can be used with ease, and that will become the standard for the next generation.

:arrow: Source (Q13)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What they need to do is to make a controller that is purely just a touch screen.
Ehh, no thank you. Might as well just allow smartphones to work as controllers at that point.

Sony has a patent on a method to make touch screens actually feel like that have physical buttons on them.
Sounds like haptic feedback zones, but those can be added to physical buttons too. Touchscreen controls are never going to feel quite right.

Last edited by Xzi,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
saying it now, it's gonna be a glove with accessories to hold (basically shells with no electronics in them) for different playstyles

every finger has a potential function changing depending on whatever you hold for normal play and it'll be vr compatible.

screenshot this and give me a like in 2021.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
saying it now, it's gonna be a glove with accessories to hold (basically shells with no electronics in them) for different playstyles

every finger has a potential function changing depending on whatever you hold for normal play and it'll be vr compatible.

screenshot this and give me a like in 2021.
I'll give you a like now, I'm 100% ready for a Power Glove v2. Slap a touchscreen, a couple physical buttons, and a D-pad on the wrist of that bad boy, and you've got a winner.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
At least Nintendo tries. The only controller of theirs I don't care for is the SNES controller. It was alright for the time, but it just didn't age well. The N64 controller I grew up on, so I guess that's why I'm used to it. Sonys controllers are awkwardly wide and the sticks never feel right. Microsoft I feel perfected it with the One controllers.

Nintendo wants to shake things up, and did for a little bit with the Wii. Sony and Microsoft threw their proverbial hats in to the ring and could not compete. That says something. Anybody bashing Nintendo is a bit short sighted in my honest opinion.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
At least Nintendo tries. The only controller of theirs I don't care for is the SNES controller. It was alright for the time, but it just didn't age well.
I gotta disagree with that, the SF30Pro from 8BitDo is my go-to for 2D/indie games. If R1/L1 were a little wider, it would be my favorite controller for everything since the sticks basically have the same positioning as PS4 controllers. Maybe it's only because SNES was my first console, but I'd rate the layout as my favorite from Nintendo, just barely in front of the GCN controller.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Kioku and yadspi

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I actually dislike GC controller, but modern controllers mostly have form of Xbox controller, even Nintendo copied it to Pro controllers. I do not know what features next Nintendo controller should have, but idea with Joy-Cons without d-pad wasn't good choice... shame that hori made their joy-con without battery.

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I honestly don't get why people like the ngc controller so much. the face button layout sucks.
The GC controller was made primarily for Platformer games. A big jump button, a smaller attack/sub-action button, and two extra action/camera control button. It is intuitive. The only reason the modern cross shaped face button layout might feel intuitive for us is because we grew with it. My parent still has issues with PlayStation and Xbox game because of the unintuitive controller (all the button are the same shape and size, so they have to constantly look down on the controller to know which button to press).

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I gotta disagree with that, the SF30Pro from 8BitDo is my go-to for 2D/indie games. If R1/L1 were a little wider, it would be my favorite controller for everything since the sticks basically have the same positioning as PS4 controllers. Maybe it's only because SNES was my first console, but I'd rate the layout as my favorite from Nintendo, just barely in front of the GCN controller.
I can see that, I spose. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy my time with the SN30 Pro controller. Just waiting for the Plus version. If it ever comes. I've been spoiled by handles. Nevermind, I'm snagging another one. :v I hate you. :rofl2:

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Xzi

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ia been since 2001 that Nintendo made a decent controller? Damn.

Also, notice how the classic controller for the Wii is not included, not is the Pro Switch controller.

Justeego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
CUBE; Actually good controller to hold, but having the octagon shape around your analogues never gave it that smooth 360 control and feel
WIIMOTE: Worse controller ever, old inferior tech, failed to do what nintendo promised (tho one game i knew of did)
SWITCH: cheap crap, ive gone through 3 pairs of these already because they dont attach to the tablet properly and the control goes haywire.
CUBE: while it might not feel smooth inputs are very precise
WIIMOTE: they were good for games that didn't require a lot of inputs, the lack of right stick was the limit
SWITCH: they are very good if you consider them as portable controllers for a portable console
No idea what you do to them, still with my first pairs.
Joycon drift develops very easily but it's cheap to replace
Honestly, as long as the Dualshock is the only controller with symmetric joysticks it's going to be the standard for me.
While symmetric sticks makes the controller nicer, the upper right stick is more comfortable
wiimote is the worst controller they ever released. It's the biggest obstacle when I was trying to enjoy super mario galaxy and most of wii games. casual gamers may like it, but I totally hate it.
I don't think it's bad, I think the real problem is the lack of right stick and accessible buttons (replacing buttons with motions was a very bad idea)
I honestly don't get why people like the ngc controller so much. the face button layout sucks.
it is good if you try it, buttons are very big and easy to press, most games don't use all combinations of face press buttons, diamond shape is superior but GCC style isn't bad either

Reactions: Halfshadow

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't get why people liked the Playstation controllers. They were awkward to hold and the sticks were not comfortable. The gamecube controller is easily the most comfortable one to hold. The button layout makes sense if you consider the fact that not every game consistently utilizes all four face buttons. Unless you play a ton of tony hawk..

Reactions: DarthDub

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People complaining about the N64 controller and analog stick without remembering that there was no precedent for a layout with analog sticks and nintendo wanted a SNES style grip is it failed to catch on, that's why it's very comfortable to use it for 2D games. Of course NOW it seems dumb because you have been playing with modern controllers.

Well, even back then my first instinct was to hold the controller by the sides. They even put instructions for how to hold it in the manual. But yeah many don't realize that most N64 games didn't use the d-pad or L button or just made them do the same thing as the C buttons and R. There are odd games that stick out like Pokemon Stadium that were designed around holding the sides and just didn't use the stick outside of minigames.

The 3D controller for Sega Saturn came out the same year and it had a better design overall imo. At least on the outside it has a closer resemblance to the sticks used on the DualShock. Rare even used them for testing their N64 games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah pending some kind of sci fi gloves that sense microscopic movements and and simulate resistance and apparent weight, or brain stem input to do much the same, I am not expecting much.

Personally I would be happy enough with 360 style triggers, bumpers, some buttons and a nice clunking micro switch dpad that feels good if we must do general purpose controllers. If we have mice available then there are a few more options. If someone does want to chuck in a screen they can send electricity to so as to raise bumps or something to function as custom buttons then I am OK with that too.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of drugs were the on when they thought of the 64 controller
Shiggy was allowed to design one piece of hardware and gave us that turd. And he designed it for Mario 64... And literally nothing else.

Then again, this is the same company thay deliberately sheltered the wiiu hardware developers and designers to the point they didn't even know thay xbox live and psn were a thing.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Some of my favourite game genres don't really work with the classic dual analog controllers so I welcome all attempts at something new. That being said, Nintendo has a history of taking good ideas and then not developing them enough to actually work. A lot of their recent attempts have been half-baked. I am not holding my breath.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.