Nintendo president says company “must consider” removing region locks

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In a Q&A with Japanese investors (helpfully translated by a NeoGAF user), Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has given the first public indication that his company has considered removing the region lock that limits playable software on the Wii U and 3DS to hardware sold in the same region.

In responding to a question about the practice, Iwata defended the historical reasons for limiting international interoperability, such as translation, marketing, and licensing issues. But he acknowledged that these are justifications that mainly apply to game makers and sellers while being a drawback for customers.
"As for what should be done going forward, if unlocked for the benefit of the customers, there may also be a benefit for us," Iwata said. "Conversely, unlocking would require various problems to be solved, so while I can't say today whether or not we intend to unlock, we realize that it is one thing that we must consider, looking to the future."

While consoles from Sony and Microsoft have moved away from region locking in recent generations, Nintendo has actually moved a bit in the opposite direction, going from a famously region-agnostic position for the Game Boy and DS lines to a system-wide region-locking policy for the 3DS (though that restriction can be circumvented without too much trouble). The Wii U is the only current console with a mandatory region lock in place, just as the Wii was in the last generation of consoles (though publishers could and did enforce software-based region restrictions on some Xbox 360 and PS3 games).

Iwata defended Nintendo's stance on region locking as recently as last year, citing "cultural and legal restrictions," as well as differences in age rating systems, as reasons to stop cross-border interoperability. A fan movement pressuring Nintendo to reverse its policies in this area has attracted over 30,000 Internet signatures so far, as well as robust Twitter and Facebook presences.

source

(I originally read it on this Dutch page)

Well...of course this doesn't mean it's something that will actually happen. But with Iwata saying it, it has more merit than some other guys in that company... :)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think at best Nintendo can stop making region lock mandatory for future titles (Sony and Microsoft leave region lock to publisher's discretion). I don't think it is possible to stop region lock for existing titles. That would create a huge legal problems for them. Look at BC PS3, where region lock is still enforced on PS1 & PS2 games.

That said, Iwata is the very definition of hypocrite. Back in GCN-era he criticized online services, citing that kids have no access to a credit card and no one wants them. He says one thing then changes later on.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't affect me, as I can't be bothered to play anything that's not in English, but I have a couple of friends that will be very excited region locking is dropped.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny of him to criticize a practice which Sony and MS already stopped doing, leaving Nintendo as the only one doing it. So when he says "a company" he's really referring to his company and no other company.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So if Sky3DS/R5 ever release, and Nintendo releases a new 9.x/10.x firmware with region unlock, and the flash carts still work, then we've essentially eliminated one giant hurdle.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So if Sky3DS/R5 ever release, and Nintendo releases a new 9.x/10.x firmware with region unlock, and the flash carts still work, then we've essentially eliminated one giant hurdle.
I really doubt this would be anywhere in the near future. It's more likely that it would be for whatever handheld comes after the New3DS.

Reactions: Jayro

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One theory for having games region locked in this day and age is reverse importing, for one most 1st party games are released in the US, EU, and AU first and Japan last and second they are cheaper in the US than in Japan ($29.99-39.99 in the US vs $54-$64 in Japan), you can't say for the children at least in the West is that import shops are almost always online now (which requires a CC or Paypal).

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One theory for having games region locked in this day and age is reverse importing, for one most 1st party games are released in the US, EU, and AU first and Japan last and second they are cheaper in the US than in Japan ($29.99-39.99 in the US vs $54-$64 in Japan), you can't say for the children at least in the West is that import shops are almost always online now (which requires a CC or Paypal).
Persona 4 Arena, the only retail PS3 game with region lock, has it because Atlus was concerned that with,

* English version having Japanese text + voice as an option
* Release date only a week apart

would open the flood gate of reverse importation. To be honest, reverse importation can be mitigated by spreading the release date apart and removing Japanese text (language barrier).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm curious.... Is PCSX2 compatible with normal web cams emulating the EyeToy....